How do I pin programs to the horizontal bar?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Valerio

How do I pin programs to the horizontal bar?

#1 Post by Valerio »

I tried right-clicking on a program and selecting "stick" but it doesn't work. Not all the programs are found in usr/share/applications so I can't drag them on my desktop... Pinning programs would be a good way to turn the problem around but if possible, please, explain how to drag icons from the menu bar to the desktop.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What Puppy version?
Be specific.

What menu entry item is not also in /usr/share/applications?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Re: How do I pin programs to the horizontal bar?

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Valerio wrote:I tried right-clicking on a program and selecting "stick" but it doesn't work. Not all the programs are found in usr/share/applications...

First, ditto what bigpup wrote.

I assume by 'right-clicking on a program' you mean right-clicking on its menu entry. Actually, if an application appears on the menu it is found in /usr/share/applications. The menu-creation application only 'reads' the files in /usr/share/applications. Chances are that the name of the "desktop" file differs from that used in its "Name=" line.

There are applications which will search thru the text in all /usr/share/applications and report which of them contains the name appearing on the Menu. Menu>file-system>pfind has that option. But it might be easier if you advise us which applications you are searching for.

By the way, if you are using a 'stock' Puppy, chances are that Menu>Setup>Menu Manager's Right-pane will provides a comment about what each Named item does.

FYI, if you're using a 'stock' Puppy, Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager, Clicking the Launch Tab will open a GUI. The bottom pane shows which applications appear on the Taskbar. You select them from the Top pane, Just scroll down until you see an application and click it.

JWMDesk Manager provides a GUI for doing pretty much any desktop configuration you want.

Valerio

Re: How do I pin programs to the horizontal bar?

#4 Post by Valerio »

mikeslr wrote:
Valerio wrote:I tried right-clicking on a program and selecting "stick" but it doesn't work. Not all the programs are found in usr/share/applications...

First, ditto what bigpup wrote.

I assume by 'right-clicking on a program' you mean right-clicking on its menu entry. Actually, if an application appears on the menu it is found in /usr/share/applications. The menu-creation application only 'reads' the files in /usr/share/applications. Chances are that the name of the "desktop" file differs from that used in its "Name=" line.

There are applications which will search thru the text in all /usr/share/applications and report which of them contains the name appearing on the Menu. Menu>file-system>pfind has that option. But it might be easier if you advise us which applications you are searching for.

By the way, if you are using a 'stock' Puppy, chances are that Menu>Setup>Menu Manager's Right-pane will provides a comment about what each Named item does.

FYI, if you're using a 'stock' Puppy, Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager, Clicking the Launch Tab will open a GUI. The bottom pane shows which applications appear on the Taskbar. You select them from the Top pane, Just scroll down until you see an application and click it.

JWMDesk Manager provides a GUI for doing pretty much any desktop configuration you want.
bigpup wrote:What Puppy version?
Be specific.

What menu entry item is not also in /usr/share/applications?
I'm using bionicpup64 8.0. I'm looking for google chrome :)

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

It may depend on where you got Google-Chrome/which version. I have the last version of Mike Walsh's Google-Chrome SFS from here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 718#909718. /usr/share/applications has google-chrome. But it's Name= line reads "Chrome browser". So that's the name which shows on Menu>Internet. Hint: both show the "Google-Chrome" Icon.

The "Launch" Panel of Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk has it under the name google-chrome.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

How did you install Google Chrome?
What Google Chrome package was used and from where?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)