Brave browser and Palemoon

Booting, installing, newbie
bullpup

Brave browser and Palemoon

#1 Post by bullpup »

Hi Pupsters :) I am not entirely new to Puppy Linux but I do have 2 questions.

1) When I open Palemoon it would present me with an update prompt. So should I? Update presented by Palemoon(site) itself, not puppy updater. Should I do that or would I be in all sorts of trouble?

2) I am a great fan of Brave Browser Is there a way to install it in Bionic Pup 8.0 -64bit? Same guidelines as other Ubuntu based distro's or will that mess things up?

Using Bionic as my daily OS and all works well. Thanks in advance. 8)

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, bullpup. And Image to the 'kennels'.

To take your queries in order:-

1 ) Yes, by all means let Pale Moon perform its updates. These are completely "kosher", hail from the Pale Moon website, and are definitely recommended.

Which version of Pale Moon do you have there? If it's prior to v28, it'll need 'upgrading' before the regular updater will work; pre-v28, PaleMoon used a separate updater, which no longer functions....

2 ) With regard to the Brave browser, you're in luck. I have a self-contained, 'portable' version you can try.....one of many recently developed for Puppy. I've only just updated it this morning, to the new version released 2 days ago - v1.9.68. I haven't even got around to posting it yet!

Update:- LINK to Brave-'portable'

------------------------------------------------------------

Unpack the tarball, and move the resulting 'Brave-portable' directory anywhere you like.....obviously, outside the 'save' is preferable. Click to open, then click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. This creates a self-contained profile within the 'brave' directory; this means you can copy/move Brave-portable anywhere you like, and it will still run. Anywhere in Puppy, that is.....

PepperFlash is self-contained, with its own Update mechanism. I know it's on the way out, but we're still stuck with it till the end of the year, and many webmasters will grimly cling to it right to the bitter end. It's there if needed.

Widevine is also included - this has been, a-hem, 'borrowed' from current Chrome - so NetFlix, Hulu, Spotify, etc (anything that's DRM-controlled) should work fine.

You can drag the 'LAUNCH' script to the desktop, and use it as your launcher. Let us know how you get on with it, please.

Posting from it now.

Mike. :wink: