Problems posting on forum

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
greengeek

Problems posting on forum

#1 Post by greengeek »

Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing some problems posting on this forum and I am wondering if it is just me or are others experiencing it too?

The symptom is that after I make a post and click "preview" the forum logs me out or else returns me to a previous screen.

It appears to be a "timeout" issue - as if the time taken to refresh a preview exceeds the time allocated to "submit" a post.

I keep having to log in again (sometimes multiple times) in order to complete my post.

The only way I can get around it with any consistency is to "copy" my post content and have it in the clipboard ready to quickly paste and submit in one go - without doing a preview.

Anyone else seen something similar?

Is this just Google rolling out internet controls? (I generally only use Palemoon SSE and avoid the latest and greatest Google based browsers as much as I can)

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Ian, do you check the auto box and is your connection mobile tethered?

I had issues in the past until I concocted a custom connection script modeled around a script written by Bill or Tempestuous. Can't remember which.

It was almost as if the forum was choking on this type of connection.

Maybe not be your issue but I'd say your resolve could be addressed in the same manner.

Keep in mind udhcpd is built into BusyBox, dhcpcd typically requires installation.

I recall reading Wifi-TrayNet allows you to use one or the other.

:idea: You may consider using the one you're not.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Semme wrote:Ian, do you check the auto box
Hi Semme, thanks for the reply. Which auto box do you mean please?
and is your connection mobile tethered?
ah yes I think you have put your finger on the pulse there. A lot of my work is done through a cell phone connection - either directly on the phone or through tether.
I had issues in the past until I concocted a custom connection script modeled around a script written by Bill or Tempestuous. Can't remember which.
So that modification was made on the PC that was tethered?
It was almost as if the forum was choking on this type of connection.
Yep that's definitely how it feels.
Keep in mind udhcpd is built into BusyBox, dhcpcd typically requires installation.......You may consider using the one you're not.
Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

This problem is news to me. I have no idea what could be causing it.

It sounds almost like, when you touch 'Preview' on your phone, the forum somehow gets a different command instead, possibly one it doesn't understand.

Does it always work right when you touch 'Submit'? As a workaround for the 'Preview' problem, you could 'Submit' instead, then edit your post if you find you need to. I do that a lot anyway. I'm always thinking of something I forgot to say, after I click 'Submit'. I did it several times in this post. :lol:

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

I also submit then edit and rarely ever use preview. My phone's browser(s) does also does strange things at times using the touch screen, the forum will not interpret the click command correctly.

I think some of the older website software frameworks like the one this forum is built on will at times exhibit this behavior. Occasionally switching the browser on the Android phone will help.

This may or may not be relative to the problem though if it's a connection issue involving timeouts

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

The forum is set to log you out after two hours of inactivity. Surely that's not the cause of greengeek's problem here.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Ah, it WAS Tempestuous!

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 838#695838

Which @ the time I needed:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 374#944374

Then modded to suit my Android tether:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
modprobe cdc_ether
modprobe rndis_host
modprobe usbnet
#exec /root/my-applications/bin/usbreset3
sleep 2
rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info
rm -f /var/run/*.pid 
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc* -d usb0
PS - The "auto box" I was referring to is the one on the log in page.

greengeek

#8 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Semme - i have reviewed those threads and believe that my problem is different.

I have run the same wifi connection code for 5 years (same distro all that time) and don't think it is an issue with configuring the wifi connection.

I have also been seeing strange problems with Trademe.co.nz - which is a local version of Ebay. It wont let me view auctions when I click on them in the auction list.

Clearly there is some issue with "authorisation" when I get switched from one webpage to another within a website.

It is too much of a co-incidence that these two sites that have been trouble free for years and years are now apparently unable to process my browsers request to move from page to page. It is as if the websites are dumping my session login data during a simple page swap.

Will post back after some further testing with other browsers. Currently using Palemoon SSE
Attachments
Trademe_error.jpg
(36 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

End of the line?
Pale Moon SSE for Linux has been discontinued with the advent of Pale Moon 28.
You didn't mention which OS.

Maybe it's time YOU conform to current web standards and up your ride?

But then, maybe the web facing libs that handle authorization need updating? Hmm...

Still, my guess is the outdated browser bit.

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

Well, i am living out of town again (no job thanks to COVID) and connecting via cellphone and the problems are back. Mid way during posting the forum tells me to log in again. Happens multiple times over a few minutes, then disappears for a while.

Semme i think you were more right regarding it being to do with cellphone tethering rather than what you suspected about old browser.

Although I have a nasty feeling that modern browsers tag every transaction with something like a timestamp or IP address stamp that old browsers did not - and maybe that makes old browsers unable to keep pace with what modern websites require.

Maybe modern websites (and modern browsers) track IP changes and decide i am a bot or something. Maybe that is a "security" feature?

But why would that affect Murga forum?? This runs on pretty basic software.

Maybe the issue is not webSITE related so much as ISP related.

Who knows.

Anyway - now I know I have to ctrl+C to copy all of my post before I click "submit" - that way my text is on my clipboard in case I get logged out during posting.

(DAMMIT!!! - just did it again!!)

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Ian, check your inbox.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Sylvander

Re: Problems posting on forum

#12 Post by Sylvander »

greengeek wrote:Anyone else seen something similar?
a. A few weeks back I composed a substantial post, then when I clicked "preview" the text was gone!
I gave up! Didn't re-compose.

b. more recently:
I no longer receive notifications of new posts to threads I'm registered to follow. :(

Makoto

Re: Problems posting on forum

#13 Post by Makoto »

Sylvander wrote:a. A few weeks back I composed a substantial post, then when I clicked "preview" the text was gone!
I gave up! Didn't re-compose.
Is the post still up? Do you have a link to it?
The forum has a 'bug' where issues with the tags may cause the entire post to appear blank when previewed or submitted - say, for example, if you leave a trailing space within the tags with the URL. You can still edit or quote the post and see that all the text is there, but the forum will display a blank post.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

He probably never hit the "Submit" button.

Sylvander, do you connect via wifi, or via direct-to-Ethernet cable? (No reason to ask, just making conversation.)

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

IF THERE IS ANY EXTRA white space in a line with a "" the ENTIRE post will not appear. It's there but will not display because of that extra space causing an error.

So to FIX it, review the post's BB code tags that are in the post which does not display, and check that NO EXTRA WHITE SPACE is included in the URL BB code tags.

Example: Will not display ->

[url] http://the_server/something[/url]
and this will ->

[url]http://the_server/something[/url]

rockedge

#16 Post by rockedge »

I no longer receive notifications of new posts to threads I'm registered to follow.
This is being caused by the Forum software. The current Forum software is not able to send email messages via https: so many of the email providers servers now filter the notifications out as "unsecured" and they are never delivered

rockedge

#17 Post by rockedge »

@Flash somebody should make a decision on what to do.

Soon we'll wake up one day and the forum will not work at all. The code was written in PHP 5 and PHP 7+ is the norm today. The Murga web server is Apache 2.2! No idea what the mysql server is. I realize the murga server seems to be running headless so changes are impossible to implement.

The window of opportunity to run tests that I offered to upgrade the software and include all the million or so threads contained in the original is closing.

Waited 6+ months and not a peep. So 4 more weeks the test site will run and then I will remove it and work on something else.

Disappointing is the entire lack of any effort to fix these problems. Soon the forum will just present a blank page and that will be it. A legacy that no one did a thing when the warning signs were abound will be all that's left and a "used to be a great place"

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

rockedge wrote:@Flash somebody should make a decision on what to do.

Soon we'll wake up one day and the forum will not work at all. The code was written in PHP 5 and PHP 7+ is the norm today. The Murga web server is Apache 2.2! No idea what the mysql server is. I realize the murga server seems to be running headless so changes are impossible to implement.

The window of opportunity to run tests that I offered to upgrade the software and include all the million or so threads contained in the original is closing.

Waited 6+ months and not a peep. So 4 more weeks the test site will run and then I will remove it and work on something else.

Disappointing is the entire lack of any effort to fix these problems. Soon the forum will just present a blank page and that will be it. A legacy that no one did a thing when the warning signs were abound will be all that's left and a "used to be a great place"
And I thought I had criticized how this forum was maintained in years past...
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

musher0 wrote:And I thought I had criticized how this forum was maintained in years past...
But did you do anything BUT criticize? Rockedge started a new forum with the idea that people would migrate to it, but few of us ever tried it.

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

Makoto, not that I've noticed much of anything over the years, but, is John the only one that screws with the phpBB here, or do you and maybe ttuuxxx ever make any modifications or improvements?

Aside from the occasional hot-linked, oversized image, surely you know that beyond a certain amount of characters placed in either an attachments "file comment" or between "code tags" explode the page and create a horizontal scroll-bar.

I doubt it's a complicated mod, but, never fixed, huh?

Maybe John feels it's good enough the way it is?

People show, can post and get addressed.

Outside of here, he's got a real life.

Yeah, we get it. We got that too! :wink: