New puppies are all the same

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
enrique

#21 Post by enrique »

The battle of the Windows zombies vs Linux nerdies is as old as Good vs Evil.

You can not expect more, this social media users are raise to think that way.

But hold on... Every year the same users can not wait to have in their hand on the latest I-Phone or Android. Just to try to find out where the new OS version hide what they had mastered from day 1

"OHHH. Look at this I can not save my Photos in the phone anymore, I does it automatic on the Clowd." Isn't that smart" .... Dummies. ;)

enrique

Moose On The Loose

#22 Post by Moose On The Loose »

enrique wrote:The battle of the Windows zombies vs Linux nerdies is as old as Good vs Evil.

You can not expect more, this social media users are raise to think that way.

But hold on... Every year the same users can not wait to have in their hand on the latest I-Phone or Android. Just to try to find out where the new OS version hide what they had mastered from day 1

"OHHH. Look at this I can not save my Photos in the phone anymore, I does it automatic on the Clowd." Isn't that smart" .... Dummies. ;)

enrique
Even more "interesting" is a thing someone was telling me had happened to them. They had all the family photos nicely stored on their home machine. They also had a phone. On the phone they also had some of the photos. They did something on the phone, never sure of what, and suddenly all the photos on the phone were gone. "no problem" they though I'll just get them back from the home machine. When they went to do that all of those were gone too including ones that were never "on the phone".
I didn't inquire further.

rockedge

#23 Post by rockedge »

a thing someone was telling me had happened to them
Frightening for sure. Apple stuff is like that also. Any service that will "connect" all of one's devices and stores data on a cloud server has the potential to do this.

For example I have this iPod Touch 5th Generation, it takes really nice photos and is really compact, can connect via wifi or bluetooth and runs all the same apps as the iPad can. When I take a photo with the iPod it is almost instantly available on the iPad and ANY computer that at the moment is connected to the Internet and our Apple iCloud account. So if I delete this photo directly from the iCloud storage with a computer logged in, it will after a short time be deleted from all the devices connected through the central iCloud or iTunes servers logged in with the Apple ID.

It is a danger. Firefox for example syncing across all the different firefox's on the various devices one runs is helpful in having all one's bookmarks all the same across all those different firefox's on a phone or tablet and computer. But delete the bookmarks on one....all those other firefox's also have the bookmarks deleted.

the centralized cloud server can be rather dangerous when syncing devices is involved.

Moose On The Loose

#24 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rockedge wrote:
a thing someone was telling me had happened to them
Frightening for sure. Apple stuff is like that also. Any service that will "connect" all of one's devices and stores data on a cloud server has the potential to do this.
It appears that Microsoft is going the same direction with their "onedrive" idea. They seem to want you to sync everything thing together an use the cloud service hosted on a server in China or Russia or something. The trend certainly seems to be back towards the dumb terminals hooked to the mainframe model of computing. Soon enough not only will the OS be a service like Win10 has become but also we will have to pay for CPU time like in a time sharing system. It will all be tacked onto your cable or phone bill or something.
The IBM360 had a counter thing that counted up the run time. The DEC System 10 had a way to track kilobyte seconds for how much memory you where taking up. Part of the reason so many professionals bought Apple-2s early on was to escape the centralized computing trap. Maybe history is about to repeat.