How to run ChromiumUBB in Bionicpup32-8.0+21-uefi?

Booting, installing, newbie
PUPYYP

How to run ChromiumUBB in Bionicpup32-8.0+21-uefi?

#1 Post by PUPYYP »

Hello.
I have installed bionicpup32-8.0+21-uefi.iso on a usb key (8Go) with "Bootflash install puppy to usb" (tool available in the menu SetUp). It works but I'am not satisfied by the web browser Light. Hence I have tried to install ChromiumUBB through "Get Web Browser" but nothing happens. I have succeed to install Chromium 83 through Puppy Package Manager (PPM) but it doesn't launch. I have installed Firefox 77.0.1 through PPM and "Get Web Browser". It works very well except that there is no sound.
Any help please ?

peebee

#2 Post by peebee »

There was a problem with ChromiumUBB.sfs which has now been fixed - thanks for reporting.

You may find that chromium.sfs has been downloaded and can be installed by putting it into your frugal install folder and then clicking on it. (but it may have been deleted).

Firefox.sfs is also available via Menu -> Internet -> Get Web Browser
and shouldn't have sound problems.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

PUPYYP

#3 Post by PUPYYP »

Thank you Peebee for your answer.
Maybe you know where to download this chromium.sfs ?
I have also tried to install firefox through Get Web Browser but still there is no sound. I will try again.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

SourceForge has been intermittent, but, "Get web browser" should work. Persist, that's all.

The dwnld happens but Chromium doesn't fire.

FF dwnlds and has sound.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

jafadmin

#5 Post by jafadmin »

peebee wrote:Firefox.sfs is also available via Menu -> Internet -> Get Web Browser
and shouldn't have sound problems.
I just tried this and had the same result as @PUPYYP. It downloaded and installed as default browser ok, but no joy on the sound issue.

Is it possible that it's looking for a PulseAudio driver? :?

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

BionicPup32 +21 fresh boot, created save-folder, rebooted, installed Firefox 77.0.1 from Menu>Internet>Get Web Browser. Posting from it now and it DOES have sound.

Sound problem may be as a result of the user having earlier installed a package which contains the libpulse pulse audio libs which could have overwritten the apulse libraries, since this Pup has these in /usr/lib rather than being in a sub-directory (which would necessitate use of the apulse wrapper script with Firefox)? Just a hypothesis.
Oscar in England

jafadmin

#7 Post by jafadmin »

@OscarTalks,

I repeated your test. Same results as you. The pulse audio components worked right.

Here is the "diff" between the "clean" pup and the one with some apps installed:

Code: Select all

From clean:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    21 Aug 11  2017 libpulsecommon-4.0.so -> libpulsecommon-5.0.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10632 Apr  7  2019 libpulsecommon-5.0.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    20 Aug 11  2017 libpulse-simple.so -> libpulse-simple.so.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  6236 Apr  7  2019 libpulse-simple.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    13 Aug 11  2017 libpulse.so -> libpulse.so.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 86936 Apr  7  2019 libpulse.so.0

With installed apps:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     21 Aug 11  2017 libpulsecommon-4.0.so -> libpulsecommon-5.0.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  10632 Apr  7  2019 libpulsecommon-5.0.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     20 Aug 11  2017 libpulse-simple.so -> libpulse-simple.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     24 Jan 22  2019 libpulse-simple.so.0 -> libpulse-simple.so.0.1.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17716 Jan 22  2019 libpulse-simple.so.0.1.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     13 Aug 11  2017 libpulse.so -> libpulse.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Jan 22  2019 libpulse.so.0 -> libpulse.so.0.20.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 362612 Jan 22  2019 libpulse.so.0.20.2 
Now We just need a fix ..

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello jafa,

The fix is to use apulse with its libs in a sub-directory, but this introduces the requirement to ensure that any program (such as Firefox) which works via apulse is being launched via the apulse wrapper.

The apulse package has libs which have the same names as standard pulse audio libs, but are different in how they function.

The apulse README states that there are 2 options, you can install libs in the library path and not need the wrapper, or install in a sub-directory and ensure that you use the wrapper. When I started compiling and using apulse I tried the former option, but later changed to using the sub-directory method.

The BionicPup32 .iso contains the earlier apulse libs, but if the user installs something via PPM which drags in pulse audio libs as dependencies, that will overwrite apulse and stop it from working. Not sure how practical it would be to address this via a BionicPup32 update, but I think that if you install an apulse with the sub-directory configuration, that would work if the wrapper is being used where necessary and the libs in /usr/lib would be the libs which non-apulse programs would see.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0 ... 686-wz.pet
Oscar in England

PUPYYP

#9 Post by PUPYYP »

For my part, on a new Puppy USB, I have installed Firefox 77 through internet -> Get Web Browser, and this time I have the sound.
Again through internet -> Get Web Browser, at last I could install ChromiumUBB and it works.

jafadmin

#10 Post by jafadmin »

@OscarTalks,

ThxU dude. It turns out the wrapper was already present in /usr/bin, however there was no /usr/lib/apulse directory.

I simply copied out the apulse directory from the .pet you linked, over to /usr/lib, and everything now seems to work.

Thanks muchly for your assistance and insights on this. 8)

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

.....and this is why I prefer the way Fred & I have done things with his portable-Quantum and my portable-FF68esr; the necessary apulse libs being in a sub-directory within the main 'portable' one, and called via LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the launch script.

And I still say portables are "the way forward" as far as browsers in Puppy are concerned....despite, to some folks, unnecessary duplication of certain dependencies. (And definitely when running multiple Pups, since they're super-easy to share.) But, hell; when your hardware is up in the 16-32 GB RAM territory (as I now am!), you tend to develop a somewhat different outlook on the space problem.....and am, dare I say it, no longer really living in the 'Puppy' "world" any longer..! :lol:

I could install, and run, any OS I wanted to now. But I don't want to run anything other than Puppy..... (*sigh*)