Slacko 6.3.2 Xorg error /dev/dri/card0 no such file(solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Lantha

Slacko 6.3.2 Xorg error /dev/dri/card0 no such file(solved)

#1 Post by Lantha »

Hi,

When trying to run slacko from usb and running

Code: Select all

xsorgwizard
because xsorg didn't start propoerly, I chose "Intel" in the list.
Now I have a "no screen found" error and looking further into the "Xorg.0.log" file reveals the real error : open /dev/dri/card0: no such file or directory.

How can I solve that ?
I saw here https://askubuntu.com/questions/998628/ ... -directory that "reinstalling the drivers" should fix it but how can I do that in puppy as there is no apt and as, as I understand, ppm is only accessible in graphical mode.
Thanks for any help :D
Last edited by Lantha on Thu 09 Jul 2020, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

mostly_lurking

#2 Post by mostly_lurking »

What graphics card do you have? Maybe run xorgwizard again and try another driver, like the generic "vesa" one. If the problem is not just the driver being incompatible with your hardware, I have no idea what to do. I don't really have any experience in this area.

I tried using an incompatible driver on Slacko 6.3.2 (32bit) in a virtual machine - I edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to specify the "ati" driver, then tried to restart X. The Xorg log showed "no drivers available" and "no screens found" messages, but not the /dev/dri/card0 error.

The forum's Hardware > Video section might be a better place to ask if you don't get any helpful replies here.

Lantha

#3 Post by Lantha »

It's a laptop with an integrated intel HD 520 and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M

For some reason, just now, after leaving my computer on in Puppy for 2 or 3 hours, when I launched xorgwizard it said "probing for video devices" (it didn't show that before) and then, added to the .conf list were 2 nvidia driver.
It didn't help though, when using other drivers than the intel one, the system hangs.

I also posted this issue on the video/hardware section, thanks for pointing it out.
Last edited by Lantha on Thu 09 Jul 2020, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

Lantha wrote:It's a laptop with an integrated intel HD 520 and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M
Are you sure the laptop is not using the nvidia card instead of the intel card?
The nvidia card would want the nouveau driver.

Nouveau is the open source nvidia driver and would be one of the driver choices when you run xorgwizard

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

I don't know what it does when you have 2 video cards...

Maybe it's trying to use the Intel driver with the Nvidia card, or it doesn't know which card to use in the first place? The aforementioned "vesa" driver will probably work with any of them; try it out.

Not sure how to tell it which card it should use if it doesn't pick one automatically; I assume it would involve editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file manually from the command line, if the xorgwizard doesn't have an option for that and you can't start an X session. I think most Puppies have console text editors like "mp", or maybe "vi". As for what you have to write in there, I don't know.

Maybe someone else knows a better solution?

zagreb999

#6 Post by zagreb999 »

respect!
slacko 632 is absolutelly the best
linux os!
for me it works
perfectly on intel and
nvidia card.
just, do install it on usb
or hard drive with unetbootin!

Lantha

#7 Post by Lantha »

the "nouveau" driver was one of the two that showed up after leaving my computer for 2-3 hours

xsorgwizard allows you to start nano and edit xorg.conf but I don't really know how

mostly_lurking

#8 Post by mostly_lurking »

Perhaps look for a section in xorg.conf where the driver is specified, and replace whatever is in there (like "nouveau") with "vesa", then try to start X with the "xwin" command. Maybe also check if the screen resolution listed there is okay for your hardware. (If X doesn't work after a short time, you can normally stop it with Ctrl+C; no need to run it for hours.)

Of course, that won't help if it really can't decide which card to use...

perdido

#9 Post by perdido »

Lantha wrote:the "nouveau" driver was one of the two that showed up after leaving my computer for 2-3 hours

xsorgwizard allows you to start nano and edit xorg.conf but I don't really know how
It should need only the nouveau driver.
Maybe try running xorgwizard again and choosing nouveau

Or start from scratch like Zagreb999 suggests.

Don't give up, this is an easy fix once you have the correct driver.

Lantha

#10 Post by Lantha »

I'll start from scratch and edit this post with results.
Is Rufus also a good option or should I try unetbootin ?

Lantha

#11 Post by Lantha »

None work. I tested all .conf available (nouveau, nv, vesa, nodesetting, intel) from a fresh iso extraction.

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

Slacko's a little long in the tooth for a novice. Is that a 64b machine you're on?

If so you should certainly attempt to run a more current pup.. Xenial @ the least if she jives with your hw.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

foxpup

#13 Post by foxpup »

You have an Optimus system.
It needs something like bumblebee, but as far as I know, nobody has this working in Puppy.
You can just use the intel graphic card.
So specify the driver yourself in xorgwizard as intel.

With a machine like that, you better use a more recent Puppy.
If you like the traditional Slacko, maybe this one:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 42#1057442

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

Xenial @ the least / Bionic @ best. Think *beyond* Slacko. You need a pup that likes your hw.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Lantha

#15 Post by Lantha »

I didn't know the slacko I was trying to use was way outdated. It's strange that there isn't any information about 7.0 development and about 6.9.9.9 being released, on the following website ?http://slacko.eezy.xyz/notes.php
Last edited by Lantha on Thu 09 Jul 2020, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

What year does the bottom of that page state?

Outside of release notes, Pup doesn't have current documentation.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Stay in the NOW if you wanna get somewhere.

Lantha

#18 Post by Lantha »

Ok, the newest version works flawlessly, I guess this post can be closed

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Newest version? Please, tell us which.

Lantha

#20 Post by Lantha »

6.9.9.9 (the newest version) works :)

Sorry for the trouble.
Thank you all for helping me :D
How can I rename to mark as solved ?