Never used any linux flavour before

Booting, installing, newbie
Gezza

#1 Post by Gezza »

The pre installed light browser doesnt play them. So i down loaded a few others from the PPM chrome and Firefox and it says it installed them successfully as i selected autoinstall..but I cant find them on my desktop or anywhere else for that matter.. can anyone explain to me how or why thats happening . I read that they would show up in the sys tray on the bottom right but nope..many thanks from an 61yrs old dummy..bionicpuppy32 19.2

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
For YouTube on Puppy I have found the Seamonkey browser to work very well..
Which Computer are you using?
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

There is a chance you did not actually install a browser.
PPM shows a lot of files that are add-ons or parts of a program.
It is easy to not actually select the complete program package.

If you tell us exactly what PPM installed.
That should tell us.
PPM->Uninstall will list what PPM installed.

Because PPM can get software from non-Puppy repositories, some of the software packages, do not have the stuff needed to make menu entries, or it has menu entry files for other Linux OS, that do not work in Puppy.

In Rox file manager.
Look in /usr/share/applications and see if there is a .desktop file for the browsers you installed.
If you find one.
Drag and drop it on the desktop.
That should give you a desktop icon to run it.

For a menu entry to maybe be made.
In a terminal or console.
Enter:

Code: Select all

fixmenus
Press enter

This will rebuild the menu and maybe find a correct .desktop file for the browser you installed.

Usually, browsers are installed into /opt directory.
Can look in there and see if you can find the exec file, that runs the browser.
Usually, it is the name of the browser.
Can drag and drop, that file, to the desktop, to click on, to run it.

Bionicpup32 8.0 has menu->Internet->Get Web Browser
That is suppose to be a better way to install a browser than using PPM.
Before using it.
I suggest use PPM->Uninstall to remove the browsers you installed with PPM.
This prevents any conflicts of already installed files.
Last edited by bigpup on Thu 09 Jul 2020, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

In the future.
Make any new posts in the beginners help section of the forum.

Also this info will help us help you:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90471
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 10 Jul 2020, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

Gezza wrote:I read that they would show up in the sys tray on the bottom right
Not that I know of... but I would expect them to be in the "internet" category in the main menu (click the menu button in your taskbar, bottom left - it may be called "applications").

Which Firefox package did you install? The most recent one I found via the package manager is a package called "firefox_78.0.1+build1". I had to update the package database to get it. (In the package manager, click the "configure" button in the top left.) I haven't looked for Chrome. Both these browsers are quite "heavyweight", though, so maybe not so well-suited for an older computer.

If you want a desktop shortcut for your browser, open a file manager window, find the program executable, and drag it onto the desktop. In the case of the Firefox I installed, the program file, "firefox", and the script that normally starts it up, "firefox.sh", were located in the /usr/lib/firefox folder. You can probably use either one.
puppyluvr wrote:Which Computer are you using?
Gezza wrote:On my old samsung n130 with a 230 single ato
Seems to be a netbook, at least 10 years old, and 32bit.

(I'm offline now; it's getting late here. But there are likely others here who can help if there are any more problems.)

LNSmith

#6 Post by LNSmith »

Gazza & fellow woofers,

You ask about watching you tube with 'da' Puppy.

I watch you tube daily on 2 PCs.
(1) Desktop box: 3GHz clock, 2GiB RAM, uPupBB32 running on a Pentium 4. Browser: Light - as supplied with uPupBB. stock. no mods, no additions.
No swap-file (so far as I can see). Result: modest d-loading time. Good performance when running. Freezes from time to time. Locks up entire box and I must re-boot.

(2) Laptop. Dell Inspiron 8600. Pentium M. 1.4GHz clock. RAM: 2GIB. OS = uPupBB32. Typing 'free' at the CLI I see:
Available used free
Swap: 204796 0 204796

Browser: as above.
Response is slower than the desk-top box but I haven't seen the Dell freeze yet. Specific performance figure fr. a one-off test I did 2 mins ago.
Time to connect to you-tube: <20 seconds
Time to see a vy short video: ad appeared 2 seconds after clicking.
Running the process manager fr. shows CPU is used 100% but I still use the terminal and Geany with music running in the background.

I think you MAY have success if you buy a little more RAM.
Ram is cheap.

Internet download speed measured at 10MiB/sec. I think this is about 1 MegaByte, 1/8 of the 10MegaBits.

The real killer: Java Scripts from eBay (and every-one else.

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Sorry Gezza,

Puppy Linux --any version-- is sufficiently UNLIKE any other operating system that it is recommended that anyone starting with it, and especially anyone not already familiar with some version of Linux, take the time to peruse the "Beginner's Section", http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php and ask question there.

As it happens, publishers of Web-browsers, such as Chromium (Google-Chrome is its branded version) and firefox are phasing out 32-bit versions. Puppy Devs pretty much have to 'role their own'. Bionicpup32 is 'binary compatible' to Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 32-bit. I don't run Bionicpup32 and don't know exactly what peebee, its Dev, has done about Web-browsers. The best place to ask anything about Bionicpup32 is on its own thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 997#989997

Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager will always provide access to the repositories of the Major Distro with which Puppies are binary-compatible. But binary-compatible isn't the same as identical: it only means that you can use that Distro's files to build an application if you know what you're doing. Often its easy. Sometimes it's hard. With Web-browsers, it's always hard. Puppies achieve the RAM-Efficiency by using their own infra-structure. Web-browsers demand a great deal of infra-structure which is built into the Major Distro, but not into Puppies.

The above being the case, some Puppy Devs specialize in publishing Web-browsers: adding to the publications done by originators such as Chromium or firefox, or those of Major distros, the components not built into Puppies.

You'll find such Web-browsers on the Additional Software Subsection, Browsers and the Internet: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=53. As far as I know, Bionicpup32 being a relatively new Puppy, almost any Web-browser you find there will run under it.

I highly recommend any of the portable versions. For your system, which only came with 1Gb of RAM, I second puppyluvr's recommendation of Seamonkey. You can obtain portable versions --together with instructions-- here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 26#1024826

Mike wrote: "Unzip the tarball. Place the 'seamonkey32' directory anywhere you like. Start 'er up by clicking on the 'smky' script inside. This creates an internal directory called 'profile'.....and that's where your profile will live. So long as you always start via the script, it'll always use the associated profile."

Here's what I'd do. Follow one of the links on Mike post to download either of the "tar.gz" files. Right-Click the tar.gz and Select UExtract. A folder named Seamonkey-2.4X-i686.tar.gz.extracted will be created. [x will be either 6 or 8]. Left-Click it. Within will be a folder named Seamonkey-2.4x-i686. And within that another just named seamonkey32. Right-Click that folder and select Rename. Just name it "seamonkey"-- small "s" no number. Leave that window open.

Left-Click the desktop drive icon just above the task-bar which has an "x" at it top-right. That's your HOME PARTITION where all your Puppy System Files are located. Left-Clicking it will open a Window to that partition.

Left-Press, Hold, then DRAG THE seamonkey folder from its location onto the Window to your Home Partition. Select Move.

Now download and install (left-click) the attached pet. It will create a menu entry to your "External Seamonkey".

Mike offered two versions. But this Menu pet will work with either as long as seamonkey's folder is just named "seamonkey".

Portable Seamonkey offers several advantages over other web-browsers: it uses less RAM. And having moved it to /mnt/home --your home partition-- it automatically writes your profiles 'outside of Puppy Space" so you don't have to do a Save to preserve changes. Similarly, it stores 'cache' from the internet outside of 'Puppy Space' so that it isn't using RAM.
Attachments
SeaMonkey_portable.pet
Creates Menu entry for seamonkey @ /mnt/home/seamonkey
(6.27 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 10 Jul 2020, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

I've moved the conversation to the Bionicpup32 Thread

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Gezza and anyone following, trying to help. As I noted previously, the best place to ask about Bionicpup32 is its thread. As I still have a question, I've posted it there, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 92#1062792

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Gezza left the building.

Maybe he will post something tomorrow!
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

FLATLINE. He / she's, lost themselves.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<