160 MB RAM not enough for multisession 2.02?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
mikeb

160 MB RAM not enough for multisession 2.02?

#1 Post by mikeb »

Hi,
enjoying using puppy...just a little question...

I am using puppy 2.02 regression on a machine with 160mb ram and no hard disk in multisession mode.

The settings from the first run were saved after the first session and loads sucessfully on the next boot...so far so good.

Initially free ram was showing at ~6mb but everything was working normally within this limit, and after the reboot free memory is shown as ~56mb but...

its behaving as if there is no free memory.....settings will not save...downloads stop after ~200k....cannot add software etc..
Basically it runs (well) but cannot be changed.

Am I missing something....do I need to change settings somewhere...where is the free memory?

Any help appreciated

regads

mike

ps trying to burn iso for multisession use with nero 5.5 is a no go..even nero wont re write to it...6 seems ok and of course the puppy utilities work fine..lots of headscratching before sussing that one

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Well the desktop memory indication is meaningless for a multisession...using 'free' in the console is more realistic as everything is still loaded to ram after the first save plus anychanges...

The solution was to cut the .sfs file down to 50meg with a combination of editing the file and remastering which now leaves a useable 25megs which works a treat.

Now how do I stop a 20mb error log being generated by firefox because the internet is offline?

By the way I could not get the cd to be recognised as multisession (burned using puppy /recommended utilities / nero until a second track was burned with nero with a dummy file (short txt etc) then everything worked as it should - odd.

Present mission is to reduce the firefox footprint... 30% comments and other surplus items.

mike

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

You can't run Firefox properly with that much ram only and no swap partition.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Well seems to work ok unles venturing onto some memory hungry sites eg you tube.

Firefox on the regression version is configured to minimise memory usage as per mozilla guidelines as normally the 1.5 branch allocates large amounts for page caching...I also run with zero disk cache setting as this seems pointless on adsl (same on windows...bonus ball is that multimedia files appear in the temp folder ready to save rather than lost in obscure cache files :D )

Puppy squeezing is fun

mike

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

The every increasing error log was from an incompatible(or buggy) xfce package solved by using a later version which was compiled for 1.09 but seems to work fine...leave my limited memory alone :(

Using xfce but with the original desktop and the taskbar plugin keeps the memory footprint nice and small :D ..nice modular system.

mike

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

mikeb wrote:The every increasing error log was from an incompatible(or buggy) xfce package solved by using a later version which was compiled for 1.09 but seems to work fine...leave my limited memory alone :(
you probably mean the "less than one MB" dotpup that AlienX made. I remember the network plugin there kept giving me xerrors.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

you probably mean the "less than one MB" dotpup that AlienX made. I remember the network plugin there kept giving me xerrors.
thats the one plus plugins from the version compiled for puppy 2.10 were lookining for a libpangpcairo that didnt exist :?

I think the network plugin gives the errors when the network is not setup/connected which is sort of correct but annoying - disabled for now.

And finally mplayer seems to be set to output every message possible..eg 'Im filling my cache now ' and 'i'm playing the next 100ms now'...oops

a simple one liner solved that one and now the error file stays in the a few ks region :D (its more of an application log which includes errors ie it contains the stuff that woud pop up if run from a console)

This is a bit off topic so I'll post the mplayer info on the regression thread elsewhere

regards

mike

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

I tried a revitalised version of simple pup on the same machine (removed obsolete mozilla directory,saved several megs here and there and remastered using hackyremaster which seemed to sort the running out of memory bug on less than 256mb) but it ran out of memory in multisession mode (fine in the others) when loading vmlinuz etc to the ram disk.

I disabled the loading of the other files off the cd after usr_cram which allows it to run normally and save sessions :D .

One question arises is that why are these files loaded to ramdisk?

curious

mike.

ps now has 192 mb ...feels quite roomy