Geany rave

Promote Puppy !
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Geany rave

#1 Post by Lobster »

I must say Geany is a real star. We changed from Beaver to Geany.

Use the ctrl + + and ctrl + - to zoom in and out
Go to View and turn on the sidebar - now you can use the arrow keys to scroll up and down through open text docs.

One of Geany greatest tricks was to compile C code (after downloading the compiler add on) without having to be set up to do this. Magic. 8)

A big thank you to the Geany developers. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) a text editor is VERY important and Puppy has a great one
http://geany.uvena.de/

What do you use to edit text or docs? Any tips? :D
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 23 Jan 2007, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Let me tell you about a couple of Geany features that make my life easier:

- Syntax highlighting for many different languages
- The side bar shows the functions to easily navigate a program
- Collapsible sections

While I am working with Bash or tcl/tk or C, I can just execute from the UI and test.

I am sure I haven't discovered all the niceties but I sure like it.

Hints:
- Configure it to view the side bar
- When Geany does not automatically detect the file type, specify it manually
- Change the execution command for tcl scripts from tcl8.4 to just tcl
- When coding Bash scripts separate your code in functions so it is easier to navigate. (besides all the other advantages of doing it.)
- Set the tab size to your prefered size (For me it's 2 characters)
- Configure eSVN to use Geany as the text editor.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

Use the ctrl + + and ctrl + - to zoom in an out
better still, just roll the mouse wheel while holding the ctrl key down

also, you can switch between tabs by moving the cursor over the tabs and rolling the mouse wheel

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

You can move the tabs around. The search bar on the top is also handy, because it immediately jumps to what you type. It has the standard dialog for more complicated things.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

Oh, yes, the search bar. I love that functionality in Geany, Opera and Firefox

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

Keyboard "menu" key gives a list of open documents.
You can choose what to have in your toolbar -- I always remove the "compile/make" and "colour chooser" so the "find" and "goto" fields come into view...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

'Ctrl + D' will comment out any lines you have highlighted. Much faster than manually sticking a # in front of fifteen lines.

Hold 'Ctrl' and then click and drag the mouse for geometric-selecting. I used to (and will soon) work with a bunch of ascii tile-maps, so that type of thing came in very handy.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

FWIW, I just saw this about the Eclipse IDE.

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

Oh, I know Eclipse. I've even used it professionally (maybe 4 years ago). It is a great environment, actually IBM's websphere development environment (which I've also used) is built around Eclipse.

The thing here is that Geany is so light and still provides many of the nice features one wants in a development environment.

Dougal

#10 Post by Dougal »

Rarsa: please note that you implied in your first message knowledge of Tcl/Tk... this means we might chuck MUT bugs in your direction...

My really favourite Geany feature is emailing Enrico suggestions and finding them implemented in the cvs version a couple of weeks later!
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

DavidBell

#11 Post by DavidBell »

I'm still setting it up but I have noticed that MinGW Dev Studio is much faster at anything to do with screen refresh but particularly scrolling large text files. I have puppy on a relatively slow computer so it matters. Using Geany 0.8, think it's been updated since then. DB

LNSmith

Geany Text Editor - macros

#12 Post by LNSmith »

G'day all!

I have been using Geany for some time but need for a text editor WITH MACRO capability. Haven't found macros in Geany (but maybe it's there). A keystroke recording macro would be nice.

Can anyone recommend a text-editor for Puppy Linux? Spell-checking would be a bonus.

Considered ultra-edit but they want $80.oo PER ANNUM.
It's not repeat NOT GPL.
In Windows I used Edit-Pad Pro (a commercial item). It's nice, but there is no version for Linux.

Any suggestions welcome!

Leslie

System: Hardware. Pentium P4, 3GHz with 2GB of RAM.
OS uPupBB - 32 bit. Runs well.

MochiMoppel

Re: Geany Text Editor - macros

#13 Post by MochiMoppel »

LNSmith wrote: I have been using Geany for some time but need for a text editor WITH MACRO capability. Haven't found macros in Geany (but maybe it's there).
Depends on your definition of "macro".

Geany provides 2 tools:
1) The snippets.conf file lets you define text snippets that you can trigger with a letter combination, followed by TAB key
2) Custom commands are more powerful, but well hidden: Menu -> Edit -> Format -> Send Selection to
This allows you to do stuff with selected text and write back to Geany. For example I've set up a command that lets me, with a key shortcut, turn selected text like FOO into "$FOO" because I'm too lazy to add quotation marks and $ sign manually.

Keef

#14 Post by Keef »

Go to Tools > Plugin-Manager then tick 'Macros'.

MochiMoppel

#15 Post by MochiMoppel »

No such plugin in my Geany.

Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

This is on FatDog. I've not added any extra plug-ins (as never had the need).
Just checked, and Fatdog has an additional plug-in package. Not sure if it is installed as standard, or maybe I did install it myself for some obscure reason.
Attachments
geany.jpg
(43.58 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

MochiMoppel

#17 Post by MochiMoppel »

Is it this macro plugin?
Would have to be compiled if not included in the distro. Not for everyone.

I really like their example:
"So if you had dozens of lines where you wanted to delete the last 2 characters, you could simple start recording, press End, Backspace, Backspace, down line and then stop recording. Then simply trigger the macro and it would automatically edit the line and move to the next. You could then just repeatedly trigger the macro to do as many lines as you want. "
In other words: Trigger the macro dozens of times until your fingers fall off :lol:
Of course you could delete all last 2 characters with a single click in the Replace dialog, but that would be too simple :wink:

LNSmith

Geany rave - WANTED: A KEYSTROKE MACRO

#18 Post by LNSmith »

To MochiMoppel & Keef:

The options you suggest look very interesting.
I found a link demonstrating snippets.conf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbh1mVsVeU0
Great music with the demo!

The macros included in the plugins were devised for programmers.
I'm using Geany to manage straight text files - or rather text files produced by grep.
Definitely not code.

Grep might produce a file (50-200k) something like this:

cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1886-A. Yes, sir.
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1887-
cm_d10_98-0824.txt:1888:Q. When you went out to Harry Blogg's residence you had information, you say, that he was seen leaving the train station wearing an Army jacket, correct?
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1889-A. Yes.
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1890-
cm_d10_98-0824.txt:1891:Q. He had told you in his record of interview that he owned an Army jacket?
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1892-A. Yes.
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1893-
cm_d10_98-0824.txt:1894:Q. And you were going out there because you wanted to conduct scientific examinations of that Army jacket?
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1895-A. Yes.

THIS IS SOMETHING LIKE I WANT TO DO:
I might want to find a regular expression (or perhaps a fixed string), go to the beginning of the line, go forward two lines, select the line, delete the line and repeat to eof. I've done this sort of thing with a text editor (in Windows) but the bash CLI is VERY useful and I prefer to work in Linux. Windows has a function rather like grep (called Search-str) but (I repeat) I want to stay in Linux.

I think you get the idea. So - I find a key-stroke recording macro does this type of work well.
Again - any suggestions welcome!

Leslie

MochiMoppel

Re: Geany rave - WANTED: A KEYSTROKE MACRO

#19 Post by MochiMoppel »

LNSmith wrote: I think you get the idea
Not at all.
So - I find a key-stroke recording macro does this type of work well.
What type of work? "find a regular expression (or perhaps a fixed string)". What does this mean and how can this be created with a keystroke macro? Using your example text, could you please explain what text strings you want to find and how you want to proceed from there? I just can't see how a keystroke macro would help.

Looks like you grepped for the lines starting with Q, with 2 leading and trailing context lines. Can't you do the line deletion by sending the grep result to another command that applies a regex and deletes the stuff you want to delete?

Keef

#20 Post by Keef »

Are you just trying to delete the lines with no speech? E.g, keep the line with a Q, then the line with an A, then delete the next line.
Assuming the files are consistent and the unwanted lines all end with "-" (and no wanted ones do):

Code: Select all

sed '/-$/d' file.txt
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1886-A. Yes, sir.
cm_d10_98-0824.txt:1888:Q. When you went out to Harry Blogg's residence you had information, you say, that he was seen leaving the train station wearing an Army jacket, correct?
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1889-A. Yes.
cm_d10_98-0824.txt:1891:Q. He had told you in his record of interview that he owned an Army jacket?
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1892-A. Yes.
cm_d10_98-0824.txt:1894:Q. And you were going out there because you wanted to conduct scientific examinations of that Army jacket?
cm_d10_98-0824.txt-1895-A. Yes.
To save the output, change it to:

Code: Select all

sed '/-$/d' file.txt  > new.txt
But maybe that is not what you want at all.