Puppy 2.13 Live CD...

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
chrish670

Puppy 2.13 Live CD...

#1 Post by chrish670 »

I'm a Windows XP Pro user, who decided to try out linux. So I downloaded Puppy.

First let me say I'm new to the whole concept of Linux. And I've had a few problems getting up to speed, but saving my first ever session (time spent configuring puppy)proved to be a disaster for my live CD.

I selected the "save to CD" option prior to exiting, in order to reboot, and for some reason it wrote a file folder to the CD. However, on reboot, with the same disc in the CD drive - Puppy fails to load - and I end up on my windows XP desktop.

So I erased the CDRW and burned a new copy of Puppy. Went through the whole config process again... including configuring CD Burner and DVD, but had the same result as the first. The CD won't boot. Whats up with this??

My primary CD is an Hp 9300 CD_Rw drive. My Dvd Ram is a Sony Dru820a

I'm almost afraid to try saving a session to the harddrive, because I don't wish to lose my known good configuration of windows xp. (is using NTFS partitions)

:shock: What am I doing wrong??

jonyo

#2 Post by jonyo »

Going way to fast. :lol:

I do the same thing & stuff happens..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

What you describe is not uncommon for people trying multisession from a CD. It works for some people and not for others. No one seems to know for sure why. My guess is, your CD drive doesn't support multisession. It's probably not much consolation, but multisession seems to work very reliably from a DVD.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

chrish670

#4 Post by chrish670 »

Thanks much for the input... So perhaps I should go ahead and save my sessions to the HD then? Should I specify which of my 3 windows partitions the file is saved to? Can I save it inside of a folder on my least used volume (Drive E:\) ?

***UPDATE*** I burned a new copy to DVD-RW... perhaps this will solve my problems. I'll let you know. And thanks.

chrish670

#5 Post by chrish670 »

Well that didn't work either. It must be something with the way my CDrw and DVD Drives. Back to the drawing board.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

What program did you use to burn the multisession CD and DVD? Have you tried Puppy's burniso2cd?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

chrish670

#7 Post by chrish670 »

Flash wrote:What program did you use to burn the multisession CD and DVD? Have you tried Puppy's burniso2cd?

Hi again flash.. I really do appreciate your help. To answer your ?s' I used Burncdcc.exe from within windows xp to make both CDRW and DVD rw discs. I had to change the write settings to 2x for DVD. I was hoping to try your method. I found it in another thread for burniso2cd... I mounted my e: drive where the iso is at, but for some reason I couldn't figure out how to migrate to that drive from inside of burniso2cd.

There is something else I noted too = when I opened "drives" to mount E:\

My HP CDRW had [Eject] -- [Mount] buttons and Sony DVD just has [eject] What I find strange is I used the DVD disc to load linux. (DVD is 2nd Slave)

When I went back into windows just now I noticed recording was unchecked on DVD. If I put check in box to enable it, then its removed from CDRW drive... and vice versa

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

I assume you use MUT (the "drives" icon on the desktop) to mount things. I guess the reason your Sony DVD burner only showed "eject" is that it had a blank disk in it at the time. Linux "mounts" a filesystem, not a disk or drive. If the disk is blank, it obviously has no filesystem to mount. :) Try mounting the Puppy live CD in the Sony DVD drive to see what I mean.

I assume you have the iso in a Windows partition on an internal hard disk drive. MUT will usually see this partition as hda1. After you've mounted the drive that contains the iso, you should be able to navigate to it from burniso2cd by starting with mnt in the window, then hda1. After that you're on your own. If you can't find the iso, you can try moving it to a place in Windows that you know you can find in Puppy. Or just download it in Puppy (to /tmp if you don't want to keep it, or /root/my-documents if you do.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by recording being unchecked on DVD but I'll guess it's because they can't both record at once, so only one can be checked at a time.

chrish670

#9 Post by chrish670 »

If it looks for a filesystem, then It couldn't have been blank - Puppy OS had been burned to it. The Sony DVD drive is not selected as a bootable device in Bios, yet puppy OS loaded from it. The HP drive is selected as 2nd master. In Bios - if CD is empty, then windows xp should of booted next from harddrive.

After failing to erase the damaged multi-session DVD I made, using Nero 6 OEM - I've come to conclude there may be a config/hardware/software problem with The sony because it will only burn iso's on CD_RW media now. (thankfully its under warranty.) I plan to get this resolved today.

I don't know if its so smart to run two Burners on the 2nd IDE channel. So I'm going to take the HP out of the drive chain, and move the Dvd to 2nd master (IDE 2) to run some additional tests. I'll keep you posted.

*** UPDATE ***

As there is no surprises, the DVD Drive tested out normal. I had a reg CD Rom drive piffle out on this system this past week, & since I had this HP writter - that I threw it in temporarilly until I could obtain another drive.
Between that, and discovering that Nero 6 OEM only writes to one drive, it explains alot - why both drives are acting goofy in the drive chain and
why the DVD got corrupted. Puppy attempted to save the info to the DVD, but in a CD_RW format (because of that Bleeping Nero OEM.)

Wishes I'd of kept my Nero Ultra Edition product serial in a safe place (it would have supported writting to 4 cdrw /dvd drives) but when I went to update, the installer invalidated my P/S and installed a demo version of Ultra.

chrish670

UPDATE

#10 Post by chrish670 »

I did two things. First, I took my HP 9300 CDwritter out of the chain. And after some checking around I finally determined the bios of the DVD/CD writter drive needed to be flashed. (Funny, I've only had it less than 8 mos) Anyways, it seems to work fine with PClinuxOS and DSL.

As for Puppy (as a temporary measure,) I decided to save my settings to a 750 mb zip disk. This worked out remarkably well, only now it doesn't load everything into ram like it did before at the beginning. Instead of having 689MB free... I'm down to 72.9 mb free

forkart

#11 Post by forkart »

Flash wrote:What program did you use to burn the multisession CD and DVD? Have you tried Puppy's burniso2cd?
MagicISO can burn the multisession cd and dvd. It also can burn iso file to dvd.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso- ... sioncd.htm
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm