Yet Another Wakepup2

Using applications, configuring, problems
Crash

Yet Another Wakepup2

#1 Post by Crash »

Attached are revised Wakepup2 config.sys and autoexec.bat files that I have been working on. They are close enough to a final version that I thought it would be nice for others to try and see if they like them. To try them out, simply make a Wakepup2 floppy from Puppy 3.01 and replace the two files on the floppy.

I made several changes. The most significant is that much of config.sys is moved into autoexec.bat. This frees up the single menu that is available in config.sys to allow a simple opening screen. I also added back the original Wakepup2 code. The three choices that come up on the initial screen are:

1. New Menus and Drivers
2. Original Wakepup2
3. PCMCIA Devices (Experimental)

If you like the original Wakepup2 code, you can choose option 2.

I tried to make it real simple and only have options 1 and 2, but option 3 has to stay in config.sys since it invokes stuff like "DOS=HIGH".

If you select option 1, it takes you to the original menu with ten options. Since option 7 in this second menu is taken care of as option 3 in the first menu, it was then available in this second menu. I turned it into a "User-select USB Driver" option, so you can individually select USB drivers and see how they work.

If you want to try out all the drivers in the "User-select USB Driver" sub-menu, you will have to copy USBASPI.SYS V2.06, DI1000DD.SYS, and DUSE.EXE from wherever you may get them. I suppose I could have posted a complete image of the floppy, but I am a bit gun-shy of doing that. I figure I can't get into too much trouble by posting straight ASCII text.

The main reason any of this works is the wonderful program DEVLOAD.COM which crept into Wakepup2 at some time. It looks to be fully GPL. It basically lets you load device drivers from autoexec.bat, which gives you a lot more flexibility.

///

Edited Dec. 4

A floppy image is attached.

I used the following method to create the image:

Boot to Puppy Linux 3.01
Select Setup -> "WakePup create boot floppy" and make a boot floppy.
Using MUT, scan and mount the floppy.
Using ROX, copy the new autoexec.bat and config.sys files to the floppy.
Using ROX, copy Boot2pup's DI1000DD.SYS to the floppy \driver directory.
Using ROX, create \driver\usb\v206 directory on the floppy.
Using ROX, copy Boot2pup's USBASPI.SYS to the floppy's \driver\usb\v206 directory.
Using MUT, unmount the floppy. Wait for all the files to be written to it.
Shut down and test the floppy for functionality, using it to boot back to Puppy.
Using MUT, scan and mount the floppy.
Using RXVT, execute "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/root/WP2.img".
Using RXTV, execute "gzip WP2.img".

I didn't include DUSE.EXE. It doesn't fit unless you erase something else to make room.

Checksum: c9d709431ecc76dc208319a05cc2d7ff WP2.img

///
Attachments
autoexec.bat.gz
(5.43 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
config.sys.gz
(780 Bytes) Downloaded 446 times

OldYogi

Creating a Wakepup2 Floppy

#2 Post by OldYogi »

Right now I am running Puppy on a newer PC without a floppy drive, but with a CD RW drive. I want to be able to run Puppy on my old Toshiba Portege 3110, which won't boot the LiveCD from its PCMCIA CD drive, but which does have a floppy drive it will boot from. So a frugal install is exactly what I need.
I have downloaded the floppy image file. How do I actually get it onto a floppy (since there is no floppy drive on this machine? Can I open the tarball, then save the either to a CD or to a USB stick, and then on the Toshiba copy from the USB or CD to a floppy?

Thanks in advance.

OldYogi

Creating the floppy

#3 Post by OldYogi »

OK -- I solved that problem. I figured out that I needed WinRaWrite -- which I had a copy of -- loaded that and the .img file on the Toshiba, and created the boot floppy.

BUT -- there are problems with the floppy:

1. it runs through the autoexec and freezes when it gets to looking for a drive with the marker file idehd. That little file is on the floppy, but when I copied it onto the C:/, the autoexec continued to freeze at the same spot -- unable to find the marker file --- but when I chose the second menu option -- to use the original WakePup2, then the load continued properly.

Unfortunately, it won't complete.

It can't get load the video drivers. It loads everything else fine, but when it gets to the choice of video, choosing Xorg freezes,and choosing Xvesa it says

"This script will run X windows for you ...
0x011 640x480x16
Starting X with video mode 0x011 and mouse psaux..."

and then it freezes.

I am trying to load this on a Toshiba Portege 3110CT.

the display adapter is:
Trident Cyber9525DVD PCI/AGP W98

Drivers: Trident.vxd file version 4.11.01.2183
and vmm32.vxd

It looks to be like neither Xorg nor Xvesa can handle this display. Any suggestions?

It seems to me I'm one step away from getting this Puppy running, so I'd hate to have to quit now!

Thanks.

Crash

#4 Post by Crash »

If you can copy the WP2.img file to the CD and read it on the Portege, you can use one of several programs to copy the image to the floppy. I use RawWriteWin, which works for Windows 95 and later. For DOS, there is RawWrite, I believe. I am so used to using RawWriteWin that I forgot exactly how the other programs work.

Crash

#5 Post by Crash »

I was writing my reply just as you were! Confusing...

That's great that you were able to get the initial boot process started. I need to leave it up to others who may know how to fix the video problem. Perhaps an older version of Puppy, although that is a last resort for me usually.

OldYogi

Problem solved, I think

#6 Post by OldYogi »

I found this exact issue addressed in a post from two years ago.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 88&t=14784

so now if I can reload Puppy on my desktop, edit the xorg.conf file, and resave that, it should work. I hope. Thank you. I'll let you know.

rerwin

Getting the Trident Cyber9525DVD adapter to work with Puppy

#7 Post by rerwin »

OldYogi,
Last year I worked up a fix for some Tecras and Porteges, that looks for particular adapters to handle specially. I am currently working with someone in Sidney who has a similar adapter to yours, attempting to verify whether the fix would work for the Trident Cyber9525DVD.

Our experiment is to modify a Puppy 4.00 alpha5 (395) file to see if it solves the problem. We are conversing in the forum at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 840#166840.
Even if you get it to work in your current effort, it would be helpful to me if you would join us.
Richard

Crash

#8 Post by Crash »

Attached is a Wakepup2 readme file.
Attachments
readme.txt.gz
(10.8 KiB) Downloaded 491 times