Web-oriented wine programs

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
playdayz

Web-oriented wine programs

#1 Post by playdayz »

<Updated download Sat AUG 16 10:07pm UTC>

This is what Crossover calls a "wine bottle," a set of wine programs that can be run independently of any other programs you have installed in wine. You do need a wine installation, which is not included here but is available at

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26717 (Please note that you do NOT need OpenGL to run these programs--no such changes should be necessary. Also, when you install wine it will complain about missing dependencies, but those don't matter either so ignore them all!)

After installing wine (if you need to) then install this pet. Upon installation, there will be a folder named Desktop in your root directory (click File in the upper left corner of the screen and then click Desktop). In the Desktop folder there are 4 new icons, K-Meleon, Foobar2000, PhotoFiltre, and Eve. (Real Alternative and Flash are also installed). The icons represent .desktop files with parameters to run the wine programs, so just click the icons. The wine folder with the programs is installed into /mnt/home because it seems to be best if they run outside of the layered file system. When you uninstall the pet everything will be removed. I am sorry to say that I cannot guarantee that all features of all of these programs work perfectly.

Download: http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/A ... _Wines.pet

K-Meleon is the latest official release (1.5.0) of the windows browser with a linux soul. It is lean and fast--even with wine it starts faster than seamonkey or firefox and browses at about the same speed--and it has excellent provisions to protect privacy--please note the privacy toolbar. This version implements a new core for K-Meleon and it runs nicely in wine; tabs, sessions, and bookmarks are all functional. The only major problem is that the url bar does not update properly when a link is followed--if you need to see or copy the url it is available under View: Cache Information.

Foobar2000 is lean media player that plays everything (no joke--if it isn't included by default you can get it as a plugin from foobar2000.org) I am thinking that it runs well in wine because it uses the window api widgets instead of custom ones. It is set up to play shoutcast streams (pls) and there is a bookmark for Shoutcast--how easy can it be?

Photofiltre is free and does everything needed to prepare graphics for the web (and for art prints for that matter). What it "lacks," if it is a lack, are moving sliders that adjust things in real time. As the name indicates it has a large collection of "filters," such as Sharpen, Mosaic, and many other to enhance or modify images.

Eve Web Edition is a program designed to prepare vector graphics for use on the web; it saves in the svg format. It is a real eye-opener to see how fast this program starts--remember that it has to start wine at the same time. That's the puppy way, though, isn't it, lean and fast, even when it is a windows program!

As I said, Real Alternative is installed and configured to play real audio streams as on the BBC World Service, and Flash is also installed and configured to do what it does (though please note that Flash is blocked by default in K-Meleon--just click the "f" to see the flash content).

Google's Picasa program is not installed but if you would like to try your hand at installing under wine, just browse to Google Programs and download Picasa. Open the directory that contains the downloaded Picasa install program, then Right-Click: Window: Terminal Here and enter wine and the name of the Picasa installer. Wine will place Picasa in a folder named .wine in your home (root) directory and create a Desktop icon for Picasa in the desktop folder. Just as a footnote, google paid money and provided programmers to make sure that Picasa runs under wine--and that assistance helped wine progress to the recent 1.0 release.

Last edited by playdayz on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 22:52, edited 4 times in total.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

I tried in Puppy 4.1 Alpha 6 standard
Did not work for me - could not access the exe files.

Be interested to see BarryK's Eve program in Puppy :)
Does it work in Puppy 4 OK?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
playdayz

So Weird

#3 Post by playdayz »

This is so weird; I tested it in a virgin 4.06 installation. Oh. I tested it in a frugal install. Is it possible you have another kind of installation. The pet does install the wine bottle (named Assorted_Wines) to /mnt/home--so if there was no /mnt/home there would be a problem. I will check later today with a Live-CD. Sorry for the trouble.

Eve works well. It starts up insanely fast. It looks like well-written, lean, fast programs carry those characteristics across operating systems ;-)
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

I found the exe files in here:
/mnt/home/wine_bottle_assortment/drive_c/Program Files/

I can run the files OK from there

Bravo - well done :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
technosaurus

Portable Apps

#5 Post by technosaurus »

I have had really good luck with most "PortableApps". I keep them on the same flash drive as my Puppy system anyways - so it was the obvious test bed and worked well, since they are already completely installed to their own individual folders
Flapdoodle

#6 Post by Flapdoodle »

Oh, WOW!

I have a full install of 406 standard on HD. WINE installed without a hitch.

Previously I had made a CD of my portable apps before I discovered Puppy.

It looks like everything runs, including those meant to clean Windows (useless now of course).

Some I find handy because I am used to them, not that they are better:

MGI Photosuite
AEdit
Animagic
GIF optimizer
JPEG optimizer
Wikipad
Convert (handy for English to Metric)
Tardis (sets time)
Foxit Reader
Dingo

#7 Post by Dingo »

replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux
playdayz

Wine Story

#8 Post by playdayz »

@Lobster, thanks for finding the problem and letting me know. I tested on a virgin installation but I overlooked that it had the same /mnt/home so it worked accidentally. I have repaired that. If you would like to repair your install without redownloading the pet, the problem is in the .desktop files. The line

Code: Select all

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/mnt/home/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\eve\\eve.exe" 
should be

Code: Select all

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/mnt/home/wine_bottle_assortment" wine "C:\\Program Files\\eve\\eve.exe" 
in each of the 4 .desktop files.

There *might* be good reason to use the more elaborate syntax of the .desktop files--I would try them if something didn't work. But on the other hand the wine documentation also says that starting them from the directory they are in sometimes works better. Wine is starting to make me superstitious! A superstitious believer in extensive testing ;-)