Problem using universal installer

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scoticus

#1 Post by Scoticus »

I have been attempting to load version 4.0 on to an external hard drive without success. Currently I am using a USB 2GB pen drive without any problem and a multisession DVD+RW. As I have been having problems with my internal HD I wanted to keep all matters Linux totally apart from Windows.

Using the installer I followed the same proceedure as I used to establish my USB pen drive with the exception of selecting USB Hard Drive. During the install cycle I was advised that the HD required a boot setup and was directed to follow the instructions sending me to Gparted and clicking on boot. Having done all this it them proceeded to establish a frugal install.

However having done all this when I attempt to boot the system from the external drive nothing happens. When confronted by the request to select a boot programme I followed the suggestion that was offered so short of going round and round again and again and selecting the different options until one of them works can anyone offer a better solution.

I know that the HD will accept a bootable OS as I loaded another just to establish that it would work and it did.

I hope that you can provide assistance as frustration is setting in.
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse
puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello Scoticus,
Can you post your boot/grub/menu1st file??
Does the drive show up in Pmount??
Also post what it shows as in Gparted ..ie sda3, ect...
And how is it formatted??

Thx.. :D
Scoticus

#3 Post by Scoticus »

puppyluvr

Many thanks for your reply. I have been looking further into things and it appears that I am getting into a fix.

The Iomega drive I purchased was shown as plug and pray and I was advised that it would be ok for loading Linux. Now when I attempt to back tract to obtain the information you request I am unable to access anything on the HD.

I have asked for more info from the manufacturer and hope that you will bear with me till I am in a better position to advise you further

Once again thanks