Dual-Use Puppy on USB ?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Whelp

Dual-Use Puppy on USB ?

#1 Post by Whelp »

A few days ago I discovered a new article at Pendrivelinux.com that I found very interesting:
This ALL In One version of Pendrivelinux 2008 can be run from a USB thumbdrive either natively (as a stand alone Operating System at boot), or within Windows using qemu emulation. Moreover, the user can save installed software, changes, bookmarks, email, contacts and more automatically via a persistent loop image and then restore those changes upon subsequent qemu or native boots. This is a major breakthrough as the user can now run Pendrivelinux 2008 from a USB device even if the computer cannot natively boot from USB and still save changes persistently to be restored regardless of whether booting natively or from qemu.

Kudo's goes out to Gerardo Nevarez for the preparation of initrd.gz to make both Native and Qemu Pendrivelinux 2008 boot processes possible while running persistently.
(http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/07/30 ... inux-2008/)
I could not resist, since I have been looking for such a "dual use" for a while.
It would be helpful when travelling and using PCs at internet cafes, public libraries or friends' places, where you would prefer to boot for speed but may not be able to do so. Nevertheless you would have access to everything without having to transfer files to a virtual disk for QEMU first. :)
So I downloaded, installed and so far it looks good ... but it's not Puppy ! :cry:

Has anybody already taken a look at how to build something similar for Puppy ?
My knowledge of computers is too limited to quickly understand how it was done and I would not want to be the hundredth person to bother Gerardo about how to do it for a different linux if somebody else already has. :wink:

JaDy

#2 Post by JaDy »

Dual-use, and more, is what I have planned for the next version of PupWinQE. It will be based on Dingo when the final is released and the latest version of QEMU and KQEMU. Thanks for the link. It may be helpful in my quest.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Whelp

#3 Post by Whelp »

JaDy,

fantastic, thanks for the good news.
Would it be possible to make installing KQEMU optional, so that one could leave the host computer completely untouched (and does not need admin rights for installation) ?
With Dingo Final to be released soon, is it still too early to give a planned release date for your new version of PupWinQE or can you give an estimate ?
I look forward to trying it out and seeing what else is lurking behind the "and more" you have in store for us. :)