[Would you buy a car from this man?]
(Would you trust this?)

http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_goog ... as_arrived

Quote: Steve Ballmer,
We'll f*n kill Google.

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaa.
paulh177

#2 Post by paulh177 »

hmmm well I dislike M$, but the mighty Google's colonisation of the etherworld leaves me equally edgy
01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

paulh177 wrote:hmmm well I dislike M$, but the mighty Google's colonisation of the etherworld leaves me equally edgy
If Google can do this and keep it free, and more importantly, opensource, then, I'm all for it. If they start shutting us out then they will just become another M$.
We, as linux users, will be largely unaffected if this is true.
Would anyone here switch from Puppy to Android? Perhaps a few, but not too many. I'm sure many linux users would try it, it is a linux users nature to try different distros.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
paulh177

#4 Post by paulh177 »

it's the tricksy activity tracking that concerns me. The price to pay might not be in dollars but in privacy
01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

paulh177 wrote:it's the tricksy activity tracking that concerns me. The price to pay might not be in dollars but in privacy
Have to agree on that one, however, at least linux is more flexible when it comes to what you let in and out of your machine.

Web based apps seem to be the focus of Google. For mine, they would be handy but I would never store anything sensitive on any server apart from my own.

Google desktop is already here in the shape of gOS. They claim to be focused on 'cloud computing', which is nothing new but Google are trying to trump it up. gOS claim to not be affilliated with Google but I'll bet they receive plenty of Google support. Personally I don't like gOS, just another green flavoured 'buntu IMHO, and the desktop gadgets are sickly. I gave it a try because it was on a magazine coverdisc. However, for a noob to linux it might be what they want in an OS.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
technosaurus

#6 Post by technosaurus »

Puppy has it all AND a web desktop. (we have google, zoho, and many more)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].
Capt-CDD

Google Pup

#7 Post by Capt-CDD »

They are already hacking to run debian on a union FS. I have a google phone and can't wait to try, In fact if any of you moderators could forward this to Barry I would appreciate it.. This thing smokes the Iphone and Microshit mobile. Open source Apps. are popping up all over the place and in my opinion a few productivity apps. i.e. Abi-word and Gnumeric and Steve Ballmer is toast. It already out foxed Outlook via gmail. And with the market FTP no more sync cables and software. It just needs to learn to do it Doggy (Puppy) Style.

Barry,
I remember reading one time that once retired you were considering working on a pup for a small platform. I have a google phone and have been reading about creating a micro SD bootable linux using debian. I am of course a puppy fan and would like to give it a go. They discuss using a union FS so Android can continue to function. Any thoughts? Thanks, CDD
aarf

#8 Post by aarf »

Updated Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:27 am TWN, By Tim Culpan
Google Android may run in Asus netbooks
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Asustek Computer Inc., which pioneered the market for sub-US$500 laptops, may install Google Inc.'s free Android operating system on its low-cost notebooks, challenging the dominance of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software.

Asustek has allocated engineers to develop an Android-based netbook by as early as the year end, Samson Hu, head of the Taipei-based company's Eee PC business, said in an interview Thursday. Asustek hasn't decided whether to proceed with a final product because the project is still under development, he said.

An Android-powered notebook would extend Google's rivalry with Microsoft into the market for software that runs personal computers, where Windows controls more than 90 percent of the market. Netbooks, scaled-down laptops that offer basic e-mail and Internet functions, are the fastest growing segment of the PC industry, with shipments projected to almost double this year as the overall market slows.

“With the strength of Google behind it, Android could really challenge Microsoft and steal some market share,
sonik

#9 Post by sonik »

Capt-CDD, have you had any luck with this? The micro-sdhc runs puppy live great on my desktop (tho i can't boot using the g1 as the reader).

With up to 16g cards I think having puppy on this thing one way or another would be awesome.

Here's the Debian process, http://www.saurik.com/id/10 , I don't yet have the necessary *nix skills :/ but maybe someone else can get something out of it or shed some light on the possibilities?
DMcCunney

Re: The Google Linux desktop has arrived

#10 Post by DMcCunney »

koolie wrote:[Would you buy a car from this man?]
(Would you trust this?)
Sure.
The title of the article somewhat overstates things. It simply states that you technically can get android up on other devices (like desktops). It will be more significant when someone does.

I've been wondering since Android was released when we would see it on something that wasn't a smartphone.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney

#11 Post by DMcCunney »

paulh177 wrote:it's the tricksy activity tracking that concerns me. The price to pay might not be in dollars but in privacy
If you refer to Chrome, there's at least one third-party build that specifically disables that,

Same deal with Android: you have the source...
______
Dennis