How do I merge several bookmark files into one?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Doglover

How do I merge several bookmark files into one?

#1 Post by Doglover »

I've a few bookmark.html files that I would like to merge together so I can edit out the duplicates. All were created by firefox. Geany? Tried that and no luck.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

In SeaMonkey I can go to Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks, then Tools -> Import bookmarks, and the imported bookmarks will be added to the ones already there. Then I can go back to Manage bookmarks and edit them.

I don't know how to import bookmarks in Firefox, but it can't be much different.

Doglover

Bookmark Manager is too time consuming

#3 Post by Doglover »

I could add them all together in the Bookmark Manager, but then it would be a huge file, really huge, I'm trying to merge them and at the same time any duplicate sites would be deleted, or at least group the duplicates together.

davids45

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

If you or your computer are "bi-lingual", there are some Windows free-ware programs to merge bookmark files (eg BookmarkBridge) and to check for and cull dead bookmarks (eg AM-Deadlink).

The latter program worked for me under Wine, I haven't tried any merge-ware under Wine. I use Seamonkey's tool to import bookmarks then edit (manage) the resultant file.

You could need to get Windows to read your Puppy bookmark files if you think this alternative method is worth trying (eg install Ext2IFS.exe., Ext2fsd.exe type programs) and Wine is not an option.

David S.

maggotspawn

#5 Post by maggotspawn »

I'd open the files with the Seamonkey HTML editor and cut and paste.
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux.html[/url]
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux2.html[/url]

GeoffS

#6 Post by GeoffS »

Google's bookmarks will merge many bookmark files. I've used it and it does work. You can access the merged file from anywhere, that's quite useful. However, I have not worked out how to get the merged file in Google back into my system. :D :D
Geoff

Doglover

#7 Post by Doglover »

I tried using Kompozer's html editor but nope. Tried using various windoze progs in Wine but none did what I want. I certainly don't want to install windoze, not even a vm. Last resort will be to fire up my aunt's xp and try it in Word, I think it has that function. There is a debian app 'bookmark-merge' but it's written in Python. Does puppy do Python?