GTKam crashing

Using applications, configuring, problems
Subito Piano

GTKam crashing

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! On a friend's admittedly ornery HP laptop using version 4.3 Retro, GTKam keeps crashing most noticeably when choosing to save pictures. Any thoughts? Perhaps the 4.3.1 "upgrade" pet would help?
I'm quite curious why Puppy doesn't recognize her (HP415) camera as a mountable drive anyway, like USB drives and such..? :( This would solve the problem instantly.
Alternatively, is there a pet for a different camera program? I havent found any.
mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

gtkam is crap..always unstable.......
gphotofs is fine...you can access via rox and with newer gtk2 it does not take a week for the save/open dialog to open...It may be include already...I use it with this script

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

mkdir /root/Canon
gphotofs -f /root/Canon &
rox -n /root/Canon
fusermount -u /root/Canon
rm -r /root/Canon
...opens a rox window.... closing the window shopuld break the connection....otherwise remove the memory card and do it that way...canon...great cameras but still using the total shite twain system :shock:

I cannot remember If i needed to setup a config for the camera or if it uses the one gtkam makes (before it crashes)

mike
Subito Piano

#3 Post by Subito Piano »

So basically you are making an executable file and clicking on it every time you want to access the camera?
Hmm -- seeing as she is now in NJ, i'll probably take your advice and get her a card reader. :?
Thanks...
mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Well its more direct than gtkam and does not crash.

Gtk2 is a pig when it comes to versions...find one that everything just works is a magical mystery tour and many puppies use versions grabbed from slackware which is a recipe for disaster...one compiled for puppy is yer best bet.

Yeah we use a card reader...its less hassle and no drain on the camera batteries.

mike
murmelbahn

#5 Post by murmelbahn »

Another reasonably simple approach would be to open a terminal and ...

Code: Select all

gphoto2 -P
Will detect camera & download all photos on it. No need to install anything.

Hint regarding gtkam: When saving photos, make sure to tick off
the appropriate boxes in the save dialogue -- or gtkam will default to saving nothing.

JR
Subito Piano

#6 Post by Subito Piano »

no need to state a target directory?
murmelbahn

#7 Post by murmelbahn »

Nope. Will save to current directory, see here:
http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/using-gphoto2.html

JR
mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

As an example of gphotofs..

1)Insert camera and turn on
2) click icon and up pops rox (runs script)
3)navigate to and use images
4)close window once done

mike
Attachments
Gphotofs.jpg
(92.41 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Subito Piano

#9 Post by Subito Piano »

OK - we're getting there. I did this on my computer with my Oregon Scientific cheap camera (and of course, GTKam worked fine for me.!!) Anyway, i downloaded the gphotofs pet & wrote the executable script and everything worked as you said...EXCEPT - no thumbnails! :x Mind you, this is for a young lady with little cash and her camera screen broke; so she is dependent on the computer to view, sort, and delete pictures from the SD card. Any ideas why the thumbnails aren't showing (yes, i right-clicked the eye icon in rox...)

(Yeah, a $5 card reader is looking better every minute, i know, i know...)

thanks AGAIN!
mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Thumbnails would be a rox setting in options or rightclick-->display-->thumbnails in a rox window....test on the harddrive...

Does this camera have jpegs or raw?

mike
Subito Piano

#11 Post by Subito Piano »

Sorry! I should have mentioned that - they are all .JPG - i thot the caps might have made the difference, but even when i change them to lowercase (i.e., ".jpg"), it won't read them in either inkscape or mtpaint -- "format not recognized" --?!??!!? However, it WILL recognize other jpg's on the computer - even the very same pictures when GTKam downloads them to a lodal directory! (Remember - GTKam DOES work on MY computer, not heres) Oh -- by the way, she is using 4.3 retro full install and i used 4.3.1live -- also retro, i think. IDK if upgrading via the 4.3 to 4.3.2 pet would help, inasmuch as there were suposed to be some GTK fixes in the upgrade....???

At this point i can't access that computer to try your right-click suggestion for viewing thumbnails but i will try it tomorrow. Funny, it would seem that right-clicking the "eye" icon should work.
mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

The eye should reveal hidden .files......mtpaint not viewing the files is odd indeed...maybe why rox is not showing either....they could be in raw format with jpeg extension or something weird or I vagely remember getting jpgs that would not show in certain programs but never knew why.
I don't think rox has a size limit for thumbnailing though large files 1MB+ will take longer to render. This is not the camera this is intended for is it...ie the canon ones might be ok......if you drag and drop out of the camera or use the memory card directly do they show up?

mike
Subito Piano

#13 Post by Subito Piano »

if you R-click the eye, you get thumbnails, L-click for hidden files, isn't it?

You have a good thought there about her camera. I will try with my Panasonic -- when i get it back from my daughter! :-D Also - i haven't heard back from her on all this to know if she's tried what i suggested yet --

ah, the saga continues....
mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

you R-click the eye, you get thumbnails, L-click for hidden files, isn't it?
One learns something new every day :D

mike