Lucid Puppy on Toshiba laptop with Intel 915

Please post any bugs you have found
Wellesfargo

Lucid Puppy on Toshiba laptop with Intel 915

#1 Post by Wellesfargo »

I have a Toshiba laptop with i915 video. Lupu boots up fine and the automatic video is fine. However when I shutdown the screen goes black and doesn't change back to text mode. I had to keep hitting the enter key to make the first save file using the defaults. If I exit to prompt I get the same black screen. I can type xwin and get back to the desktop. I do not have this trouble with dpup484 on the same hardware. Anybody have any thoughts?

potchan
Location: Pilots' Height Tel Aviv - Yaffo, Israel לינוקס_פותחן

I'd intended to make a 'black screen' topic for myself ...

#2 Post by potchan »

Hey Wellesfargo & Team,

1st. thing, Wellesfargo, have you tried "puppy acpi=off pfix=fsck" then reboot ? it's my basic 1st. aid working 90% of cases. If lupu-500.sfs and (try it to be...) lupusave.3fs side-by-side on HDD, then try also to run Gparted check on the partition from CD, bootcode "puppy acpi=off pfix=ram,fsck".

Now to my black screen issue comes from different direction, but says something about a bug hiding SW (?) ...

I have pup-431.sfs and pupsave.3fs side-by-side on HD partition, work nicely booted from 431 CD. I took a pupsave.3fs backup, changed it to lupusave.3fs and added lupu-500.sfs nearby, rebooted with lucid CD inside.

I managed to see update of the new lupusave - but when arrived to desktop it gone black, but a removable mouse "X" present (not stuck). I can get in and out, so I know it's alive.

Please note also -

I tried other desktops I have there - same result.
I tried the Xvesa to eliminate a possible Xorg problem - same result.
I tried getting into lupusave.3fs via older 431 session on same partition and saw nothing extra-ordinary on .xinitrc or xorg.conf
I've also disabled blabla_431.sfs on my boot manager prior to current adventure and all k2.6.30.5 dependent packages pre-removed as well.

So why this black screen happens, and how to fix this bug ?? :oops:

Thanks.
Timmo', the potchan (=opener) team at - [url]http://potchan.org[/url]. Taste it, love it, code in it.

rjbrewer

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

Timmo;

Here is a tip from "Ariel" that works for some of us.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 083#419083

Using acpi=force also helps with shudown.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs