Another Genie text editor. Updated to Whelp 1.3.1

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
Hico

Another Genie text editor. Updated to Whelp 1.3.1

#1 Post by Hico »

Hi all,
I have Updated Whelp 1.3.1.
Fixed minor full screen bug.
On View Menu.
Added a Lock/Unlock settings.
Added show/hide cut copy paste ToolBar Style.
Added Quick find entry box to toolbar.
Regards Hico.
Attachments
whelp-131-editor.tar.gz
Minor bug fix and added some extra options.
(36.87 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
whelp-editor.tar.gz
(34.91 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Last edited by Hico on Sat 14 May 2011, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I just tried it in Wary 5.1.2pre, and it runs ok.

I opened a bash script and it did not display with color highlighting, but did so after I chose it in the menu.

As to whether you should continue it, what we really want is the full functionality of NicoEdit as the starting point, and some features added such as tabbed window. Especially tabs!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

maxerro

good start

#3 Post by maxerro »

Hi, Hico, that's a good start.

These are the nitpicks I'll supply:
Like Barry said multitab is a GREAT advantage. Implementing that could require the bloat so if you can keep it simple - exellent, otherwise I'd rather stick with this.

If you do a multitab option than it's time for the first command line parameter which would choose if the file is opened in a new tab or a new window.

I've seen in the settings file that you save the window size and position. So carry on with restoring it... Again - with multitab you should restore both, but for someone who chooses a new single tab window it should set size only and let the system arrange the position. Perfect overlapping of two separate windows is just WRONG.

What I don't like and I've seen this somewhere before (I think it's NicoEdit - but I'm not sure) is the Find and Replace tab which lacks "Replace all" option, so when you have a 200k program you better strech your point-finger before applying a whole file modification... Another thing is changing the windows size when the replace toolbar is shown... Sometimes you'll need five opened windows side by side and you just don't want some parts of them to move.

So my biggest quirks for now are actually simply resolved.
Restore the size of the window (position is not important for single tab window, but for multitab and some control freaks it is). Implement the famous "Replace all" function. If you want to do it through toolbar you can brake the Find and Replace toolbar to two, and add a "Replace with" and "Replace all" below the Search toolbar. Please don't make the window have to go any wider than the Find toolbar.

The menu arrangement is what I really like and if you change it, please send me a copy of the sources so I can change it back to this! It's just great!

If you solve these - I have just one more (programmers) request, and it'll be the perfect editor.

That sounded harsher than I wanted, but you wanted criticism - so there you have it.

Regards...

Hico

Whelp Editor

#4 Post by Hico »

Hi,
Thanks for your comments.
Barry I first tried making Whelp with tabs as that was what I wanted ,but was not able to get it to work,that is why it only has one tab.I am encouraged to have another try.
Maxerro,not brutal at all,very constructive in fact,for example,I had not thought about the window overlapping at all.I will start work on on that and the other points you and Barry have raised.But be warned it will take me quite awhile to achieve them.
Thanks again for you comments.
Regards Hico.

ttuuxxx

#5 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi Hico just tried your text editor and boy it rocks for the size, Like Barry said it needs tabs, If you could figure out how to add tabs, I think we could shelve geany :). Excellent work please keep working on it. Nicoedit I've found extremely unstable hope this one is stable.
I also would like to maybe have the search box added to the rest of the icons, Probably I would like to see the cut,copy,paste icons removed since you can do that with the rt click mouse anyways
Below is how I would like to see it. I used gimp to make the layout :) The tab images I took from Firefox screenshot :)
Also as functions go, It would be nice if you had a save preferences button in the menu. Because it looks like it saves the settings every time you close the editor. I would rather set the settings once and use that for good. Like line numbers and syntax highlight should always been on, only rare occasions would they be turned off by default, but 99.9999% they should be on.
What I see from this app is an excellent start and a bright future with puppy

Other things that would improve it is if you could add images and pdf view, Wouldn't that be cool, a text editor, image viewer, pdf viewer maybe editor all in one?

ttuuxxx
Attachments
likethis.png
(64.75 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

maxerro

geany clone?

#6 Post by maxerro »

:D :D :D :D This is a special sense of humor...

Ttuuxxx - with all due respect (emerging from the number of posts) - you can customize Geany to look exactly like your artwork. So what we would like the magician to do is - to make it just like that only ten times smaller...

And if he could add a pdf viewer, an image flipper and an ERP solution for my mid-size business... (Should we keep it real?)

Hico

Whelp Editor

#7 Post by Hico »

Hi ttuuxxx thanks for your kind comments,sorry to take so long to reply,
I started work on one of your and maxerro's suggestions and thought it would be relatively simple to code, it was but I introduced some bugs,
minor but annoying,so I am not prepared to update Whelp as yet.
By the way tabs will take some time as I have struggled with that before so don't hold your breath.I am going to rest the brain for a bit then try again.
Regards Hico.

r1tz

#8 Post by r1tz »

this is really interesting.

keep up the good work.

I believe you have enough things to do with multitab on your todo list so ill wait for the multitab version before making any judgement.

I know it might take abit long before you finally release that but i hope you would persist if this is really what you want.

"Should I carry on with it,or am I wasting my time? "
If you enjoy doing it, you are not wasting your time.
Once you get to a certain stage, you might want to make it an opensource project. ;)

ttuuxxx

Re: Whelp Editor

#9 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hico wrote:Hi ttuuxxx thanks
By the way tabs I am going to rest the brain for a bit then try again.
Regards Hico.
Sounds great, I've been there tons and tons of times :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)