AAAARGH 8 brain/hardware failures in one day!!!

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
crshbndct

AAAARGH 8 brain/hardware failures in one day!!!

#1 Post by crshbndct »

I just ordered a pc upgrade.
phenom x4 840
8 gb ddr3
1.5tb
and all running on an gigabyte ga-78lmt-s2p motherboard (i chose this because it is am3+ ready for when bulldozer comes out)

ANYWAY...

Fail #1 (brain)
the motherboard, ram and cpu arrived today
so i excitedly put them in my case.... then realised that this motherboard has NO ide ports. so i am going to be running off a 2gb usb stick till my hdd arrives.

Fail #2 (h/w)
my usb stick decides that, today of all days, its going to retire, sending me hurriedly scrambling around looking for a replacement. cant find one, so i decide to use my phone's microsdhc in my card reader.

Fail #3 (h/w + brain)
USB card reader decides to fail. After i have formatted the microsdhc (with the phone) (i use android with apps2sd, which means that with no card, my phone wont run. all my music and stuff is backed up anyway, but this means that i have to reflash my phone because i have effectively just deleted the "program files" directory from it)

Fail#4 (general bad luck)
My gf's usb stick was borrowed by our flatmate she is not home till monday

Fail #5 (brain)
My hard drive arrives at 3.30pm. i think "well this is swell, i will just set up my old mobo on the desktop and copy all my stuff from my old hdds to the new one" and then realise that my psu doesnt have sata power connections on it. and that i forgot to order one

Fail #6 (h/w)
my motorbike breaks its chain while i am on the way to go get a molex/sata power converter and usb stick

win#1
flatmate decides to come home this weekend. yay.

Fail #8 (h/w)
i put plain old vanilla puppy on the usb stick, using gfs lappy (i am not going to worry about the 64bit ram thing till the system is complete), pop it into the new system , set up the bios and i am trying to hit enter to save bios settings and boot into delicious puppy wonderfulness, when THE f*^&% BATTERIES IN MY WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE DECIDE TO BOTH F&^%$ DIE AT THE SAME F*^%^##@ TIME!!!!1!one!!

thank god the flatmate was home i am using her (pink) mouse (mine takes AA and she said "i have tons of AAA batteries for the keyboard" and then proceeded to go and open one of about 4 packs of thos real expensive energiser lithium 4-packs and give me those

i honestly dont know what she needs that many batteries for :P
anyway thank god she is a horny bitch, because i am up and running now

and by jesus christ this shit is fast
in the time it took me to boot windows, edit this signature, save it, and shutdown, an identical spec pc was able to boot puppy, start songbird, and reboot 3 times.

lol
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

8)
Maybe tomorrow you will have 8 successes
Here are my 8 successes for today (before breakfast)

1. Got Android OS installed on USB

2. Ran Android and connected to wifi (briefly) on my Asus PC

3. Went running for the first time in 3 weeks after calf injury

4. Ran latest Lucid 526 RC without anything but an overly dark and hence unusable GTK theme to report

5. Noticed wall I painted dried just in time to be unaffected by rain

6. Beat the hell out of a 'swing tyre' as martial art training

7. Got mistaken for Father Christmas (don't ask)

8. Started the day with an apple . . . and not an I-p-a-d in site . . .

Which reminds of the Chinese approach to fortune.
When it goes well - it will change, be cautious
When it goes bad - it will change, be glad
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D