5.28 on multisession DVD uses less memory than frugal?

Booting, installing, newbie
Luxeon

5.28 on multisession DVD uses less memory than frugal?

#1 Post by Luxeon »

I use both Puppy 5.28 frugal install and live DVD. They are nearly identical in setup (I have very few extra programs).
My base system is Windows 7.

What is odd is that the multisession appears to be using less memory. Is this normal?
On a side-note, though the frugal install boots and shuts down faster, it seem to be less responsive.

Bob

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

The multisession disc might be loading the needed files into RAM, and retaining the rest.
(Of course, that's just a guess.)

sfeeley

#3 Post by sfeeley »

how are you measuring memory usage?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

- and how much RAM have you?

Luxeon

#5 Post by Luxeon »

My terminology is probably inaccurate.
Anyway, I have 1g ram.

When I hover over the green memory bars in the system tray in multisession, it says I have 457m personal space, free space 416m.

In frugal, I see 504m personal space, free space 255m.

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

you've made a common mistake. The green bar shows the amount of space available in the save file. This is the amount available for storing changes to puppy, new programs, etc. It is not the same thing as the computer's RAM.If you want to see how much ram memory you have, click on console and then type "htop "

I think that on a multisession CD, the available save file space = available space left on the CD.

Whereas on the frugal install, the available save file space depends on how big you made the save file when you did the install.

pro tip: many people save data (documents, music, pictures, etc) on a partition outside of the save file-- this keeps it from getting full too easily. (But means that if you are backing up the savefile, you'll also want to remember to also back up the other data too).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

sfeeley wrote:you've made a common mistake. The green bar shows the amount of space available in the save file. This is the amount available for storing changes to puppy, new programs, etc. It is not the same thing as the computer's RAM.If you want to see how much ram memory you have, click on console and then type "htop "

I think that on a multisession CD, the available save file space = available space left on the CD.
I have no idea what the numbers mean. If I had to guess I'd say that Puppy takes a look around at what it thinks is available storage space and then appropriates for its immediate use an arbitrary fraction of what it finds.
At the moment I'm running Racy Puppy 5.1.99 from a rewritable Blu-Ray disk (BD-RE). That's about 25 GB available storage space. My computer has 4GB of RAM, of which Puppy only sees about 3.3GB. When I hover my cursor over the green-topped thingy at the right end of the system tray, it says "1.9G personal storage, free space = 1.7G" :?
pro tip: many people save data (documents, music, pictures, etc) on a partition outside of the save file-- this keeps it from getting full too easily. (But means that if you are backing up the savefile, you'll also want to remember to also back up the other data too).
That's what I do. I've been saving non-Puppy stuff in a USB flash drive I leave plugged in but only mount when I want to use it. I only save to the mulitsession DVD (now Blu-Ray) disk when I've changed a setting or installed a program. I've been using this approach for years without any problems.