linux and eee pc's

Booting, installing, newbie
Bard of Limoges

linux and eee pc's

#1 Post by Bard of Limoges »

I've recently purchased an EEE PC, which hasn't a cd/dvd drive. I downloaded the ISO file for saluki linux and copied that onto an empty usb stick. Regretfully the PC's standard OS is W7. I changed the BIOS to boot from the usb but nothing happened..
As the PC has limited memory usage (!) I'd prefer to operate from and save files to my USB key of 64 GBs.
I'm particularly interested in the puppy linux concept, having used Lucid 5.2.8 on some old machinery to great success.
Looking forward to your helpful advice and thanking you in advance,

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey bard

you will need to use something like 'unetbootin' to 'install' the iso image to usb

:)

edit: you don't say which model eee, mine only boot from the right hand usb (eee's 700/900)

sullysat

#3 Post by sullysat »

ally wrote:hey bard
edit: you don't say which model eee, mine only boot from the right hand usb (eee's 700/900)
I got a practical reminder of this today. Completely forgot about the left side not booting. Thought my little treasure had died or something.
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

Peterm321

#4 Post by Peterm321 »

As well as unetbootin I have also used the bootflash program. (Type "bootflash" at the command prompt) which uses syslinux to make a USB drive bootable. By the way I used a Windows version of Unetbootin and found it had not changed isolinux.cfg /syslinux.cfg to contain pmedia=usbflash, without this it could boot but would fail to a command prompt as the search for the squashed file system that contains most of the operating system fails.

mini-jaguar

#5 Post by mini-jaguar »

Or if you have another computer with Puppy you can try to install to the USB from that.

CDs also work on eeePCs if you have a USB CD drive.