How to get Puppy on a IDE CF..and boot (SOLVED!)

Booting, installing, newbie
Bert

How to get Puppy on a IDE CF..and boot (SOLVED!)

#1 Post by Bert »

I am happily running Puppy 2.01 on my main computer. Waw, it really is awesome! It makes the Win2000pro partition suddenly look like an old and tired dog, definitely on its way to the grave!

Now I am trying to get Puppy running on a mini-computer I built. A Penguin Box or Puppy Machine with a Compact Flash Card instead of a harddisk.

I copied the ISO-cd to the CF-card on the big tower and then plugged the CF into the IDE-adapter of the mini. The CF is new and formatted, FAT32.

After firing up the little box, I get a message like: "Disk Error, hit any key to try again"

I suppose I must be doing something wrong. I searched in the forum and wiki, but didn't find an answer.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am eager to get the small, silent low power box running!
Last edited by Bert on Sat 01 Jul 2006, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

You can use the Puppy Universal Installer to set up your CF card - near the bottom of the Setup menu. The probable cause of the error is that your card has not been made bootable.

violetdream

#3 Post by violetdream »

You can't copy the files straight to the CF card. Boot on the CD drive, and then select install wizard. Connect the drive through USB or IDE or whatever. There is an option to install on a CF card going in an IDE adapter.

Bert

#4 Post by Bert »

Thanks a lot, Blackadder and Violetdream.
I'm writing this from the little Puppy Machine!

What a wonderful forum this is...!
Bert

veronicathecow

I've tried using Puppy universal installer

#5 Post by veronicathecow »

But I get the same error, press any key to reboot.
It works fine if I use a hard drive and choose Hard drive install from Puppy Universal installer.

Any help?
Cheers
Tony