Bug Tracking

#1 Post by Ian »

Re: Discussion on bugs.

Could we use Bugzilla?

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#2 Post by JohnMurga »

Dunno, I personally think bugzilla is a bit unfriendly

There are some alternatives I could set-up on here for people to try ...

Cheers
JohnM

Jester626

#3 Post by Jester626 »

Given a little webspace (with PHP and MySQL capabilities). I could come p with something very specific to our needs.

Just as thought

Jester

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I don't like Bugzilla either. Being a pain to use, it seems like it must get in the way of letting developers know about bugs. Imagine what a beginner to Puppy would think of it. I don't know what developers think of it.

Barry has said he might set up a webpage form for reporting bugs, similar to this page. But then he also said it would be nice if people could view the log of already-submitted bugs. It seems to me that one way to kill both birds with one go is a bug reporting scheme organized like a forum.

I think I would do a better job of reporting a bug and not leave important stuff out if I saw some examples of how to report a bug, to sort of get me thinking along the right lines before I filed my report.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#5 Post by JohnMurga »

I think there is a mod for phpBB that would integrate the bug tracking with the forum ...

I'll look into this.

Cheers
JohnM

Ian
Official Dog Handler

Re:Bug Tracking

#6 Post by Ian »

Great work men.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Does anyone know of a reliable bug tracker we could use or should John & Jester go ahead and set up something for people to try.

I am sure we can give anything they come up with a good tryout (just look at simpleforum) and eventually settle on one.

I must remember to suggest more unpopular programs for future projects. :-)

Jester626

#7 Post by Jester626 »

Well creating a PHP/MySQL reporting script would be fairly simple.

Table layout would be
| BugID | DATE | Category | Software | Description | SubmittedBy | Disposition | DispositionNotes|

Category could be used to determine whether the issue is hardware related(Drivers), Software conflicts, etc. Software would describe which piece of software is at issue. Then Description would describe the issue.

Disposition would be for the developer side to determine the status of the bug. For instance when a person submits a bug it would automatically set as active. Then when a developer reviews the bug, they could change the status "Under Review" and when the bug is fixed it could be changed to "Corrected"

Just a thought. I have not given alot of thought into the actual design but this could be a basis for the bug tracking.

With this Schema the submitter would only have to worry about filling out 4 fields on a form.

As for reviewing bugs, we could create a search function in addition to "stock" reports that would show all "active" bugs.

Just my $ .02

Jess

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Well, Ian, you got the ball rolling--even if it did change direction. :wink:

phpBB was an excellent choice for the forum, John. I've been looking around on the phpBB website. It is well supported and has a huge number of add-ons available. Several look like candidates that might be useful in integrating a bug report/tracker into this forum, and several more just looked like good ideas. In the hope that it might be of some help, I'll post some of them here.

In the general utility category, there are Spelling Cow, Topic Search, FAQ Editor, phpBB Search Engine Indexer, and Save Posts as Drafts. Some of which may already be incorporated in this forum.

The ones that looked like they might be useful in cooking up a forum for reporting bugs are: Configuration Map, Topic Posters, Regmod (which looks particularly interesting,) Categories Hierarchy, Topic Description, Tabulated Survey@Topic Head, Topic Display Order, and Split Topic Type.

There are hundreds more mods and add-ons on the phpBB website mods page.

Jesse

Bug tracking

#9 Post by Jesse »

Hi,

Bug tracking is not a new thing, you don't need to create one, these things are a very good idea and theres lots of free ones out there.

these ones I found very quickly use php:

http://bugsonline.sourceforge.net/
http://phpbt.sourceforge.net/shots/

Jesse

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#10 Post by JohnMurga »

I kind of like Mantis, it is also PHP based and I have experience with it ...

However, I would like something that was integrated into phpBB so that users only had to log into one system.

I am also happy to host the bug-tracking system here.

Cheers
JohnM

#11 Post by Guest »

That's fine John, as long as it is simple -- I find Bugzilla confusing, but perhaps I'm just getting old.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#12 Post by JohnMurga »

OK ...

I'll set something up tonight and give access to a selected few for feedback to start with.

I dislike Bugzilla for the same reason ;-)

Too many options ...

Cheers
JohnM

Fox7777

Re: Bug tracking

#13 Post by Fox7777 »

The Puppy Linux group will probably continue to grow in size and there may come a time when the current informal system of bug tracking can't keep up with everything. We have used Bugzilla with Suse & it seems to be an effective way to keep track of the bugs and make sure they are squashed before the next release. There may be some things you don't like but you get used to it & perhaps contribute to making it better.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#14 Post by JohnMurga »

OK ...

The floor is open ... Suggestions ?

I like "Mantis".

I dislike Bugzilla (intensly).

I am planning to upgrade the board (any second now), so I could install this at the same time ...

Cheers
JohnM

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

I was gonna post a bug on bugzilla (about Mozilla) - could not be asked it was a simple bug and I was being asked to log in and specify this and that - way too complex
People will report more (which can be checked) if simpler . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

i think an important critereon for a bug tracker is that it is easy and simple for a TC person to report a bug
I was gonna post a bug on bugzilla (about Mozilla)
a long time ago, the Firefox script was changed, and if you had the rox Run Action for html files set to open with Firefox ... it did nothing, nothing happened

i looked at the firefox script that starts Firefox, and it was obvious what the problem was ... there was a line in the script that added file:// to the filename ... the bug was, it only added file:// to filenames that had a relative path ... like ../readme.txt

the fix was trivially easy, so i fixed it, and reported it to the old old Puppy forum ... Barry reported the bug to bugzilla
( i posted my bugfix to that bug report, using an id and password from bugmenot )

that was for Firefox 1.0 ... they've released Firefox 1.0.1, Firefox 1.0.2, Firefox 1.0.3, Firefox 1.0.4, Firefox 1.0.5, Firefox 1.0.6, and Firefox 1.0.7 and every version still has this bug, which is a simple and obvious logic error and trivially easy to fix

my Firefox 1.0.7 installer dotpup includes my bugfix (for the en_US and en_GB versions ... i did not patch the other languages)

there's another bugzilla threadhere

one bugzilla report is marked Status: UNCONFIRMED ... the other is marked Status: RESOLVED ... it does not seem to be resolved, and as for being unconfirmed, it seems to me it's bleedin' obvious ... like the parrot that wouldn't "voom" if you put four thousand volts through it

the point being, Mozilla may be open source, but it's about as closed as you can get if you're trying to get a bug fixed

nonails

our way to track bugs

#17 Post by nonails »

Hi,
just wanted to share the way we track bugs in Wrike . The tool allows bug tracking via eamils. I make a screen shot, paste it into an email and send it to our tester. The bug gets among our shared tasks in Wrike and we track it together. This way seems easier than any other. :)