BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#461 Post by fredx181 »

Hi dcung,

To add to the earlier suggestions, some other options:

- If the .sfs is on the same partition, you can create a symlink in the casper folder, but change extension of the symlink to .squashfs (this works only on a linux partition e.g. ext4, NOT on FAT)

- Add a script in ~/Startup that loads the module every login, something like:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
loadmodule -a /path/to/module.sfs
Btw, I'd say, easier than Loadmodule-GUI is right-click on the .sfs and select "Activate module" (or "safe mode" which means no-overwrite).

Fred

dcung

#462 Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote:- Add a script in ~/Startup that loads the module every login, something like:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
loadmodule -a /path/to/module.sfs
I like this idea.

At first, copying and renaming the SFS seems to work, but it turned out it was intermittent. My guess is that at times, it got missed. And in the case of symlink, it got 100% missed... :lol:

I suspect the critical part is 'sleep 5' that make it consistently loaded.
I suppose, I can experiment to find out what the 'lowest' for this lappy, but not worth the effort. It seems to consistently load the SFS now.

This is acceptable workaround for me. No duplicate and no manual clicking...
Thanks fred.

@backi
I haven't played with SFS-Portable yet.
Will explore this at some point.
Thank you.

dcung

#463 Post by dcung »

Hi,

I use BionicDog in more than laptop and want to change the default name live64 to avoid conflicts.

Other to use hostname command, is there a GUI in BionicDog that takes care all tasks associated with changing computer name?

Thanks.

dancytron

#464 Post by dancytron »

dcung wrote:Hi,

I use BionicDog in more than laptop and want to change the default name live64 to avoid conflicts.

Other to use hostname command, is there a GUI in BionicDog that takes care all tasks associated with changing computer name?

Thanks.
I changed mine in Debian Dog 64 made from the mklive script. It is probably the same for Bionic Dog.

I changed it manually in /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files. I have this link in my notes.

https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/ChangeHostname

dcung

#465 Post by dcung »

@dancytron
Thank you.

Is the kernel source included in DEVX sfs?
Else, where can I find the kernel source from pls?

fredx181

#466 Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:Is the kernel source included in DEVX sfs?
Yes.

fredx181

New ! Cinnamon version

#467 Post by fredx181 »

*** BionicDog 64-bit Cinnamon version ***

Forum member ETP did set up Cinnamon DE on Bionicdog and kindly shared his changes folder with me in archive format.
Through some PM messages we found fixes for some problems, agreed on a few small changes and I made remaster & ISO.
@ETP, later I added support for login as puppy, with very similar Cinnamon configuration.
(it works, but not much tested, there may be some issues)

See here for demo video by ETP

Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Kernel: 4.15.0-22-generic
Boot Method: porteus-boot , see examples Here
Desktop Environment - Cinnamon
Default File Manager - Nemo with option to use Pcmanfm.
(included pcmanfm for some handy right-click actions, e.g. "Activate module' 'filemnt' and more... Nemo doesn't include these)
Internet Browser - Firefox Quantum
Sound - Pulseaudio
Network Manager - Gnome-network-manager (default for Cinnamon, somehow not possible to replace with another network-manager, e.g. peasywifi)
Multimedia - Vlc, Mpv, Mplayer, Dogradio and more
EDIT: Wbar (hidden) will appear when hitting top of screen with mouse cursor.

Requirements:
I'd recommend 2GB RAM or more, Cinnamon uses much more memory than Openbox.

Additional Info:
The default keyboard layout is: English (uk)
There's switcher icon in the systemtray for e.g. set it to: English (us)
(more choices can be added with 'Keyboard Settings')
But note: this setting isn't preserved at reboot.
To change the default layout, run from Menu > Bionicdog Special > Set Keyboard Layout.

Download:
BionicDog64-Cinnamon-ETP_2018-08-27.iso Size: 657MB
Md5sum

Included in ISO: Info from ETP: 'Notes_and_Custom_solutions.txt'

EDIT: First post updated.

Fred
Attachments
cinnamon.jpg
Bionicdog Cinnamon
(76.44 KiB) Downloaded 5696 times

ETP

New ! Cinnamon version

#468 Post by ETP »

In addition to the points made by Fred please note:

Use of borderless mpv/mpv as used in CBSN tips:
  • # --no-border is used within launch scripts. eg /usr/bin/mpv --no-border [url or path to file/script]
    # To quit the TV press keyboard letter q
    # To resume later at the same position when viewing a film or video, use instead keyboard letter Q (Upper case)
    # To toggle between windowed & full-screen mode press keyboard letter f
    # Use numbers 0 (up) and 9 (down) across the top of the keyboard to adjust volume.
    # To take a screenshot press keyboard letter s
    # Toggle visibility of subtitles (when available) with keyboard letter v
    # To pause or resume play use keyboard letter p or the space bar.
Setup of the British Tux BBC weather icon on wbar for your location is detailed below.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-08-27 21-32-24.png
(174.56 KiB) Downloaded 5750 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

dcung

#469 Post by dcung »

Hi,

I'm trying to install nVidia driver on Bionic Dog.
I found that nVidia driver perform better on XenPup64 and have installed it on Fatdog64 too. So I'd like to try it on Bionic Dog.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114060

I downloaded (which supposed to have the kernel source code).
61-DEVX-BionicDog64_2018-06-04_amd64.squashfs

When compiling, I encountered 2 issues.
1. getnvidia complained that the source does not match.
But I loaded from BionicDog64_2018-06-04.iso, which is supposed to match the Devx SFS above (?).

2. How do I unload nouveau module?
getnvidia complained it is loaded, require it to unload to run/compile nVidia driver.

uname -a output:
Linux live64 4.15.0-22-generic #24-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 16 12:15:17 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

dancytron

#470 Post by dancytron »

dcung wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to install nVidia driver on Bionic Dog.
I found that nVidia driver perform better on XenPup64 and have installed it on Fatdog64 too. So I'd like to try it on Bionic Dog.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114060

I downloaded (which supposed to have the kernel source code).
61-DEVX-BionicDog64_2018-06-04_amd64.squashfs

When compiling, I encountered 2 issues.
1. getnvidia complained that the source does not match.
But I loaded from BionicDog64_2018-06-04.iso, which is supposed to match the Devx SFS above (?).

2. How do I unload nouveau module?
getnvidia complained it is loaded, require it to unload to run/compile nVidia driver.

uname -a output:
Linux live64 4.15.0-22-generic #24-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 16 12:15:17 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I think most (many? some?) of the nVidia drivers are already compiled for ubuntu and can be installed with apt-get or synaptic.

see https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... repository

dcung

#471 Post by dcung »

dancytron wrote:I think most (many? some?) of the nVidia drivers are already compiled for ubuntu and can be installed with apt-get or synaptic.

see https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... repository
Hi dancytron,

Thank you for the link, but I found and went thru that link already.
ubuntu-drivers commands didn't work in my case (?).
Tried both on Bionic Dog & UpupBB before I posted for help here.
Still working on adapting/absorbing info from that page too.

Since I went thru compiling nVidia drivers on XenPup ans Fatdog64, I thought I give it ago in Bionic Dog and later any of my pup/dog that I can not readily find nVidia driver.

Now, having tried to compile it, I am interested to know answers to my 2 questions/issues if anyone can shed some lights.. :)

Especially the mismatch kernel, in case I need to compile something else in the future.

Cheers.

dcung

#472 Post by dcung »

I got it installed thru synaptic. Thanks dancytron.
It escaped me before you reminded me of it.. :oops:

As usual, new questions arises...
1. How do I know/verify I'm using nVidia driver? I don't see (have not found) the nVidia X server setting yet. In other puppies, the icon appears on menu after driver installed. I looked in /usr/share/applications also. And also, there's nVidia splash screen before X start. None of it in Bionic Dog... (?)

2. At a glance, I'm worse off than I was before. This nVidia driver, reverse the primary monitor. Not something I wanted. Now I have to work on 'fixing' it... or revert back.

EDIT/UPDATE:
I worked out xrandr commands to 'restore' the monitors, the way they were. And put it in Startup. So, no longer "worse off" :)
I also found out that nVidia X server setting is packaged separately in synaptic.
Refer attached - nouveau module still loaded/in use?
Attachments
xendog-20180828172652.jpg
(25.3 KiB) Downloaded 5511 times
Last edited by dcung on Tue 28 Aug 2018, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

d_vineet

#473 Post by d_vineet »

fredx181 wrote:Find the line:

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -a root --noclear %I 38400
And change to (replace root with puppy):

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -a puppy --noclear %I 38400
And reboot with changes saved.
To be honest, I forgot to make some things right, so wouldn't recommend it, you may find some unexpected, e.g. firefox cannot be updated from Help > About
Fred
I successfully made the alterations as suggested above for changing default login. It worked.
Further to this, is there any way to disable auto-login?

fredx181

#474 Post by fredx181 »

d_vineet wrote:
fredx181 wrote:Find the line:

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -a root --noclear %I 38400
And change to (replace root with puppy):

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -a puppy --noclear %I 38400
And reboot with changes saved.
To be honest, I forgot to make some things right, so wouldn't recommend it, you may find some unexpected, e.g. firefox cannot be updated from Help > About
Fred
I successfully made the alterations as suggested above for changing default login. It worked.
Further to this, is there any way to disable auto-login?
Yes, remove the "-a <user>", so:

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --noclear %I 38400
But Note: the 2018-06-04 64-bit version has a bug: root password is not correctly set, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 228#995228
So better set the password for root first, otherwise you cannot login as root.

Fred

fredx181

#475 Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:Refer attached - nouveau module still loaded/in use?
Blacklist nouveau ?
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable- ... aver-linux

Moat

Re: New ! Cinnamon version

#476 Post by Moat »

fredx181 wrote:*** BionicDog 64-bit Cinnamon version ***
Thanks for this, fellas - so far it's running incredibly well on this old Dell Optiplex 380. WiFi, sound, monitor resolution @ boot, installing packages w/Synaptic... all great, and such a beautiful, polished desktop!! 8)

What fun... :D

Bob
Attachments
BionicDog_Cinnamon1.jpg
(100.27 KiB) Downloaded 5497 times

d_vineet

#477 Post by d_vineet »

BionicDog 64-bit Cinnamon version looks very polished, gr8 job.
Still,.... I am thinking whether or not to write this post.....pl. don't take it otherwise.
Users opt for either puppy or dog version since it is lightweight, faster & requires very low specs of h/w.
With this background, whether spending of the time resources of talented & enthusiastic developers is justified in reinventing 'yet another' polished desktop OS? As everybody knows, there are myriad OS options available with polished look but 'killer' h/w requirement.
Instead I feel that users would love it if the focus is maintained on the versions which follow real puppy philosophy. (I am aware that Bionic Dog is not puppy, but still it is very less demanding on h/w req. compared with other OS's).
Again, this is just my thought (may or may not be correct), no offence intended. Pl. do correct me if wrong.
Any comments?

backi

#478 Post by backi »

Hi vineet !
You are looking for Comments .....here we go ...

Find your arguments about an Os should be lightweight, faster & requiring very low specs of h/w. quite justified !
But this Discussion is not so new .

Anyway can not use Bionic Dog 64 Cinnamon cause i use an old 32 bit single Core Toshiba Satellite 3000 with only 1Gig of Ram ("Extended" with Zram )......quite happy with Bionic Dog 32 or Stretch Dog .....using the E17 Enlightenment Desktop (my favorite One ) .... those components are lightweight and fast on my low spec System/Machine .It really transformed my old Clunker into Star-ship Enterprise.Having a lot of Fun .

There are a probably a few out there whose Equipment can easily cope with Bionic Dog 64 Cinnamon ......there for.... why not ?
Having another Choice with Bionic Dog 64 Cinnamon ....just a win-win.....nobody does loose anything .
Find it interesting if People bring in some (new) Ideas .I do enjoy it .I think,regarding this, it is not really necessary being too puristic.....

Regards and have a nice Day .

belham2

Re: New ! Cinnamon version

#479 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:*** BionicDog 64-bit Cinnamon version ***

By Fred & ETP

Fred

LOL! I knew you weren't relaxing, Fred, not even after our temps dropped from the brain scorching summer we all had (backi too).

Cinnamon, eh? Will give it a go, though I may be pushing things since my equipment is so old (plenty of ram, 8GB, but still, the oldest i3 are slooooow sometimes, haha, even with an SSD :wink:

Thanks for all your guys hard work. Stretch XFCE 64-build in RAM booted by Porteus is still my all time favorite, with synaptic updating & the sublime 'quick-remaster GUI', for me it is perfection. But will try this Cinnamon and see how she goes.

d_vineet

JWM

#480 Post by d_vineet »

Would it be possible to have an option of JWM in Bionic Dog 64bit? (was viewing stretchdog 64bit related thread and liked the idea of JWM as an alternative. From a screenshot there, RAM usage was just 90MB against 150MB RAM with openbox).
I could see the .deb package in https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... posisitory
But not sure whether it would be supported to install it and try to switch the wm.