gtkpod 2.0.2 April 2015

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
tempestuous

#61 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, that was a good idea to try Precise 5.7.1 / Tahrpup 6, since gtkpod is tried and tested under those environments.
mike001 wrote:this time it is having trouble at ifuse /mnt/ipod and telling me that the location is invalid.
The directory /mnt/ipod is created when gtkpod-2.0.2-APRIL2015.pet is installed, so I'm afraid to tell you that the error message you describe indicates, again, that the dotpet is not properly installed. I really don't know what you could be doing that's causing this, apart from maybe erroneously installing some old alternative gtkpod version from PPM.
Be aware that my gtkpod compilation is the only version ever contributed for Puppy which contains the libimobiledevice library, and thus the only version which supports iPhone/iPad/Touch.
mike001 wrote:When initially hooked up and I go to process manager I find "/user/sbin/usbmuxd --user root --udev" Is this correct or should I be killing this process and using something else?
No, that's perfect - it indicates that usbmuxd has auto-launched correctly.
mike001 wrote:Below is what /var/log/messages is telling me.
... lockdown error -256
... No device found ... is it plugged in?"
That might be a problem, might not. If we determine that it is a problem, I have another tweak that I found with Google ... but before we get to that point, it's critical that you first install fuse-conf-0.1.pet, and try -

Code: Select all

ifuse /mnt/ipod
or

ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod
or

ifuse -o allow_root /mnt/ipod

mike001

#62 Post by mike001 »

OK, I ran the update from 6.0 to 6.0.2, and then deleted and reinstalled the .pets from the beginning of this thread along with the last one you posted. I am now back to the "no device found, is it connected?" error, the message in /var/log/messages is still the same.
Also I double checked and I am not running under spot.
I tried the three different mnt commands.

tempestuous

#63 Post by tempestuous »

OK, so it's not a FUSE/ifuse configuration issue. Suspicion must now fall on usbmuxd, and Google tells me this might be a solution -
use Geany to open /lib/udev/rules.d/39-usbmuxd.rules
and change: OWNER="usbmux" to OWNER="usbmuxd"
Save.
Reboot.
Try again.

mike001

#64 Post by mike001 »

I got that edited, rebooted, and its still giving me the same error, var/log/messages still says the same thing as well.

tempestuous

#65 Post by tempestuous »

It's looking like usbmuxd is interacting imperfectly with your iPod Touch. This would suggest that an upgraded usbmuxd might help ... but I just checked now, and I see that the very latest usbmuxd v1.1.0 is included in my gtkpod package.
In the process of checking this, I also discovered that my "gtkpod-Precise-libs" consists of symlinks to the Tahrpup/Precise libcrypto.so.1 library, and this library is critical to the functioning of usbmuxd ...
so I now suspect that Tahrpup and Puppy Precise may have compatibility problems with gtkpod. Oops.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I now think you have better chance of success if you run gtkpod on Slacko 5.7.0. If you have the time and enthusiasm to do so, this would be a worthwhile investigation.

mike001

#66 Post by mike001 »

Gotcha, well thank you very much for your assistance, I imagine I'll keep tinkering with it as I get more familiar with puppy, if I end up stumbling across a breakthrough I will post it here .

tempestuous

#67 Post by tempestuous »

As I look back through this forum thread, I see that in December 2015 forum member Packetteer reported that gtkpod works with his iPod Touch gen1, running iOS 3.1.3.
so that looks good for mike001's situation.

And I see that in July 2015 forum member sindi wrote this -
sindi wrote:gtkpod launches for me but does not work with the ipod 1st gen in Precise or Tahr.
Or work very well in Slacko (plays one song then needs to be reloaded to play another from the iPod).
which is further evidence that this gtkpod package works with Slacko 5.7.0, but not with Tahrpup/Precise.
So when you get a chance, it would certainly be worth installing Slacko 5.7.0 to a USB stick, and trying again. The download link is -
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... .0-PAE.iso

kuman11

#68 Post by kuman11 »

tempestuous,

I have a prob with initializing the iPod, when I try to choose it from the drop down menu nothing is selected. Got errors when I manually entered it.

tempestuous

#69 Post by tempestuous »

Hello kuman11. It would be good to know exactly which iPod you have, please - iPod Classic, Shuffle, Mini, Nano, or Touch?
Also can you confirm that you are running Slacko 5.7?

I just launched my (rarely used) Slacko 5.7 installation now, and checked that gtkpod is installed. Yep. It launches, and the menus all work.
One thing I noticed is that in the "Create Repository" window, in the field "Repository type:" there are 3 drop-down options;
iPod
Local Repository (Standard)
Local Repository (Podcasts)

Obviously you must select "iPod" before the field "Model" becomes available.
Maybe this helps?

kuman11

#70 Post by kuman11 »

tempestuous wrote:Hello kuman11. It would be good to know exactly which iPod you have, please - iPod Classic, Shuffle, Mini, Nano, or Touch?
Also can you confirm that you are running Slacko 5.7?

I just launched my (rarely used) Slacko 5.7 installation now, and checked that gtkpod is installed. Yep. It launches, and the menus all work.
One thing I noticed is that in the "Create Repository" window, in the field "Repository type:" there are 3 drop-down options;
iPod
Local Repository (Standard)
Local Repository (Podcasts)

Obviously you must select "iPod" before the field "Model" becomes available.
Maybe this helps?
------------------------------------

My gtkpod also launched. I hadn't selected Rep type, I did it now though it still hadn't initialized it.

I also got this 'Please specify the command to be called on the 'Tools' section of the preferences dialog' quite a few times when syncing some files.

No, mine is X-Slacko 4.4

Thanks
Last edited by kuman11 on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 03:06, edited 2 times in total.

tempestuous

#71 Post by tempestuous »

I will investigate different versions of Slacko in the next day or so.

In the meantime, which iPod you have - iPod Classic, Shuffle, Mini, Nano, or Touch?

P.S. Please don't quote my entire post when replying. It's an unnecessary waste of forum space.