Computer refuses to boot from CD

Booting, installing, newbie
jhsu

Computer refuses to boot from CD

#1 Post by jhsu »

I was able to get into the System Configuration menus by pressing F1 at startup. However, I didn't see any option for changing the boot order even though I did see all the other usual options (like setting the disk drive to 3.5" or 5.25", setting the system date and time, etc.).

Why does my computer refuse to let me boot from my Puppy Linux CD? I know I burned the CD properly, because I see the pup_214.sfs file and other files instead of an iso file.

There has to be another way, right? Has anyone else here had a similar problem? If so, how did you solve it?

jhsu

More details

#2 Post by jhsu »

I currently have Linux Fedora Core 1 installed on the hard drive. So far, the computer has refused to do anything but boot from the hard drive, which takes me into Fedora Core 1.

How do I get the computer to allow me to boot from the Puppy Linux CD instead?

designengineer

#3 Post by designengineer »

Some computers will not boot from a CD, no matter what you do to the motherboard settings. If that is the case, you still have a few options. One involves installing a bootloader program that sees your CD ROM, such as Smart Boot Manager, which can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

Another option that worked for me is described here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... highlight=

This involves copying the needed Puppy files to your hard drive then booting from a floppy. It worked great for me.

gary101

#4 Post by gary101 »

this maybe a complete coincedence but....

Yesteday I was talking a friend though problems with an IBM thinkpad 600e over the phone, we decided to boot puppy from cd and knowing that we would have to check the boot device order I asked her to keep pressing F2 and delete alternately as she booted. (I was unaware that F1 is the setup at that time) low and behold puppy booted straight of the cd.

Like you, we could not find the boot device order in the setup, but this method seems to work on her laptop so it may be worth a try......

jhsu

I downloaded Smart Boot Manager

#5 Post by jhsu »

The computer refused to boot this as well! When I restarted the computer with the floppy disk in place, I got the infamous "Nonsystem error, please remove disk and press any key" error.

Now what do I do?

jhsu

How do I PROPERLY read that *.tgz user's manual?

#6 Post by jhsu »

I was able to read some of it with Emacs, but I saw HTML tags and lots of gibberish.

What application should I be using to read this?

designengineer

#7 Post by designengineer »

You made a bootable floppy? If you made a bootable floppy, and you cannot boot at all, maybe your floppy disk is bad. Try another.