Firefox disabled all extensions [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

Firefox disabled all extensions [SOLVED]

#1 Post by nubc »

Firefox apparently has a new security policy, that extensions must sign on, otherwise extensions are deemed security risks, and disabled. Adblock for Firefox, Easy Youtube downloader, and SaveFrom.net Download Helper have been disabled and only the option to remove the extensions remains. I removed the offending extensions, I selected from Mozilla-approved extensions, but cannot download because Mozilla reports I don't have a connection, which is untrue.

From what I'm reading, looks like Mozilla needs time to fix this bug.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 06 May 2019, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

scsijon

#3 Post by scsijon »

For a TEMPORARY fix (don't forget YOU need to reverse it once firefox has sorted their end out).

WARNING THIS IS DANGEROUS:IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS WRITTEN, DON'T DO IT!

open a blank tab
type in

about:config

and press your enter key

YOU WILL GET A WARNING MESSAGE,
accept it
Type (exactly) in the search bar at the top of the new screen (not firefox's search bar)

xpinstall.signatures.required

under the column marked 'value' it will be set as true

toggle it by right-clicking on the word 'true'

close that window

Shutdown your firefox through File, Quit. You should always shutdown firefox this way so it cleans out any buffers and processes it has running as well as saving changes in itself, using the X (on the right corner) doesn't stop them completing their processes and can cause problems!

And start it again and your firefox should be back working with your addins working. Looking at Add-ons (under Tools) you should see coloured warnings.

Lastly DON'T add any extra add-on's untill this problem has been fixed by firefox and you have reversed this change as you won't know if the addon is safe or not for your version or has come from the correct site!

AND DON'T FORGET TO REVERSE IT ONCE Mozilla has fixed the problem their end!

EDIT: B y the way, mozilla's instructions with allowing Studies to run doesn't always work for older versions (at present time). There are a number of fixes as work-arounds, mine is one that does for most of the older ones, and as I state, when the real fix is out you need to reverse your setting. I don't see why we shopuld allow access to our data, si I don't intend allowing 'studies' to run.

EDIT2: for those with pre Version 57, see this link reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkspmk/ad ... 602_older/. Thank bart for that work arround.
Last edited by scsijon on Sun 05 May 2019, 10:34, edited 3 times in total.
nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

Official Mozilla instructions for short-term restoration of Add-on functionality.
Menu (3 bars) > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Firefox Data Collection & Use. Check box for "Allow Firefox to install and run studies." The temporary fix is automatic. A more permanent fix will follow, in the form of a patch (update).
Last edited by nubc on Mon 06 May 2019, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Problem now resolved. 66.0.4 auto-downloaded for me around 3.15 pm this afternoon, and prompted for a re-start. Mozilla have fixed the issue at their end.

All sorted. (No different, in fact, to the policy Google have had in place for Chrome extensions for a while now.) Mozilla are simply "keeping up with the Jones' ".

Mike. :wink:
nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

Another update, to FF Quantum 66.0.5 on May 08, 2019.
8Geee

#7 Post by 8Geee »

Just a polite update here... Firefox 65 just went toast today. Had to update to 66.0.5 and D/L the extensions again. SOME are not available since this "security requirement" went into effect. I guess when this MOZ cert expires we will HAVE to update (again). :roll:

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
anewuser

#8 Post by anewuser »

Latest update on the issue should be here https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... n-firefox/

tldr about 3 extensions got released for firefox 47 and up.