How to duplicate a CD in Puppy 2.14?

Using applications, configuring, problems
purple_ghost

How to duplicate a CD in Puppy 2.14?

#1 Post by purple_ghost »

What is the best, safest way to duplicate a CD with Puppy 2.14.

Such as Puppy 2.14 itself, or a remastered Puppy, or an audio CD. Perhaps we could put a note in the manual on "how to?"

Right now I am going to go off and try the new Grafburn Puppy which appears to have a button for duplicate CD.

orbisvicis

#2 Post by orbisvicis »

Remastering merges pup_214.sfs and pup_save.sfs. Therefore it is not a true duplicate and you must be careful using it when you switch hardware. However, it does come with the option to remove any hardware configurations; this though might erase any other configurations you've made such as xinitrc, etc.

Burning the actual puppy cd is certainly the safest method, you'll get a true duplicate. I know gcombust has an option to duplicate cd, that should be fine, however I havent seen that option in grafburn. Be careful dragging/dropping files to create a data dvd/cd, that probably wont create a bootable disc.

orbisvicis

purple_ghost

Thanks for the info.

#3 Post by purple_ghost »

I had seen the button on Gcombust. I thought that was for a file which ended with iso. An iso burner like BurnCdcc or Burniso2CD from the Puppy 2.14 Multimedia menu.

After I installed the Grafburn puppy I did not find a button to duplicate CD. I saw the button on a version of Grafburn menu which I saw on the forum that Nathan (I think) was writing about. I had hoped to install a Grafburn similar to what was displayed there, which had a duplicate CD button.

I will give this button a try. However. I am busy for a few days.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Keep in mind that there must be enough room somewhere for the program to temporarily store the contents of the CD it is copying.

This might be a problem if for instance you're running Puppy from the live CD with only a few hundred MB of RAM and no swap memory. :shock:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

bostonvaulter

#5 Post by bostonvaulter »

If you just want to copy a regular (non-bootable) cd then you could try tkdvd. Then in the menus go CD / Copy CD.

I'm not sure how well that would work with bootable CD's.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

purple_ghost

All good options.

#6 Post by purple_ghost »

I was considering what was the most stable way to duplicate a CD with Puppy Linux 2.14. Actually I started this project because I wanted a second copy of my Puppy 2.14 CD. The ISO file on the hard drive is on a hard drive which is throwing random errors. Not a good source to burn a new Puppy CD from. I unplugged that drive. It seemed a fair question to ask as duplicating a CD is fairly common thing a newbie would want to do.

Flash. I can identify with the issue of whether one has enough space for the entire CD. In either the Puppy persistent file or the rest of the hard drive.

Flash. Can you tell us how Puppy recovers used space in the puppy persistent file, pup_save.2fs? Does it make that space available to use again as soon as the copy is finished or does one have to reboot?

In fact. How does one do a defrag in Puppy Linux at all? On hard drives? Flash drives? Inside the pup_save file? Or is a defrag needed if I use a FAT32?

The easy option I see is to have a lot more storage than I use. I could copy everything on the hard drive to somewhere. Format the drive, Copy things back. Hope the hard drives do not fail as I do this.

Or have/install Windows and use its Defrag programs.