A personal thank you to Barry....

Promote Puppy !
basslord1124

A personal thank you to Barry....

#1 Post by basslord1124 »

Yeah I know I technically could send a message to the fellow, but I figured to make this public for all to see.

I just wanted to say thanks to Barry for creating such a perfect little distribution, especially at this time in my life. I currently have been low on money and can not afford to purchase any new computer gear until I get my finances taken care of. And I know one thing I have wanted when it comes to computers is a laptop...and I was in no position to shell out $800+ for a new laptop. Fortunately my dad had an old laptop of his that he let me have (which I thank him too). I knew that this particular laptop was not really up to par to run Windows decently...maybe Windows 98 but who in their right mind wants to run an almost decade old, unsupported, buggy version of Windows at this stage right now.

But when I stumbled upon Puppy Linux it's like this is the perfect little system for this laptop. It's secure, it runs better, it's relatively easy to use, AND it's a kept up-to-date.

AND, the Puppy laptop proved to be entertainment while I was away from home recently allowing me to get on the hotel's wireless network to check how things were going back home. I have no doubts I was the only one in the hotel with a laptop sporting a lightning quick Pentium II processor...but since it was coupled with Puppy Linux as the OS I am sure it could easily compete with any newer system that was there.

So, thanks to Barry for allowing me to bring life to this cheap laptop so that I could put it to use for my mobile computing needs. :D
[url=http://groups.myspace.com/puppylinux]The Official Myspace Puppy Linux Group[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Yes, but it's not just me. We have a growing team working on Puppy. A couple of years ago it was 95% me, but now it's a real collaborative effort, with many of us sharing the dream. So thanks must go to what we loosely call "The Puppy Team".

veronicathecow

#3 Post by veronicathecow »

Thanks also from me, I've been trying to move away from Windows for 6 years (since I first tried Corel Linux, then SUSE, Red Hat, Redora, Mandrake, PCLInux, Feather, DSL, etc etc
The other day I wanted to use something only Windows could do (Obscure Webcam) and I had to think for a couple of minutes whether or not I still had Windows installed on this machine!
Will also send you another donation when book sales have improved.
cheers
Tony

noprob

Thank You...

#4 Post by noprob »

To all who have contributed to this wonderful linux distribution.

I have been seeking that "One" linux flavor that is easy and fun to install.

Tho I believe I shall just use it in ram as it is kick butt fast.(responsive),compared to all the other linux distro's I have installed/viewed/used.

I am not the linux guru type,but I am able to read the man(ual) file(s),not
fun,but needed sometimes.(cause I'm curious)

I have used puppy linux a long time ago when it used the win95 interface(fvwm95) for it's desktop.

What caught my attention this time around is the information that puppy can use slackware type packages.(and it's fast!)

I am a regular user of minislack/zenwalk and vector linux,but I believe Puppy Linux has won my heart over.

I shall promote this distro via word of mouth and "borrowing" pics of Puppy Linux posted on my blog and as a signiture on all my e-mails and forums I frequent.

again Thank You!
Last edited by noprob on Sat 24 Mar 2007, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

I'd like to join in here..

A big cheers to all puppy developers for when my hard drive started to turn to mush yesterday I was

1. Able to still run the machine/ get on the web etc with the hard drive removed and

2. Able to very easily clone from failing to new hard drive and reboot flawlessly (dos and windows just ain't that helpful/friendly)

Oh and my 5 year old loves his multisession / diskless / unbreakable puppy :D

Puppy's progress seems to be leaving the rest of the os world standing and with the aid of wine for those awkward moments is going to (if not already) make a huge impact

many thanks

mike

Matu

#6 Post by Matu »

Hi All!

I can only agree with the previous posts. Puppy helped me a lot to use my old laptop (Acer TM 223x) still with no compromise. I also tried several other Linux distro (UHU, SUSE, Mandrake), but the first that really impressed me was Puppy.
I'd like also say thank you for forum people, who always help us newbies to use Puppy without problems. Generally the "fresh air" here in the forum -compared to others where you can find only hardcore experts with big brains- really makes me happy, and "brave" enough to try things, read when necessary, and ask when I could not figure out how to solve a particular problem.

Matu

RabidWolf

Another BIG THNX

#7 Post by RabidWolf »

just checked out the 2.15CE version, I'm blown away, this is simply awesome, unbelievably fast, lightweight and b e a u t i f u l , I will be spending much more time here, trying to see how things tick and making contributions as I become able(monetary and otherwise), man I just love this.
P4-3.12GHz,GEIL-PC3500-1GB,7800GS,SB-Audigy2,Plextor&BenQ-DVD,Plextor-PVR,VS-VX922-Lcd
Grub,Arch(Duke),Vector5.8-SOHO,WinXP
Linux Registered User #445510

Fester

#8 Post by Fester »

My two bob's worth- I hadn't tried Puppy since 2.12 because of it's unattractive interface.

I was completely blown away with 2.15. Firstly, it recognized my monitor and set resolution to 1680x1050 instead of having to stuff around with x11.

Plus it's very "pretty" to boot.

And it seems to have most of the stuff I would use on a day-to-day basis. All I have to do now is work out how to install the web based .sfs add-on so I can get FF and other goodies in the pack.

Thanks to the devs.

jonyo

Re: A personal thank you to Barry....

#9 Post by jonyo »

Me too :D

And'd add a big thx to all involved.
basslord1124 wrote:Yeah I know I technically could send a message to the fellow, but I figured to make this public for all to see.

I just wanted to say thanks to Barry

vovchik

Also belated thanks to Barry

#10 Post by vovchik »

Dear puppy-handlers,

I also wanted to put on record my appreciation for Barry's wonderful distribution. I have tried many, and all have their pluses and minuses. Puppy, for me, is the most appealing and useful one I've found to date. Those who moan about difficulties associated with the installation of Puppy and other Unixes should consider what the situation was, say, a mere 20 years ago. In the late 1980s, I remember installing SCO Unix on a PC with a MIPS co-processor card that came on 70 odd floppies...and I had to configure at the same time I was shuffling floppies. In the case of Puppy, for a frugal install, all I do is copy a few files to a single location, boot and have a perfectly functional OS. And I do nothing at all but wait for my PC to settle when I boot from a live CD, something MS - with billions of $ in assets - has not managed to do (although some clever hackers indeed have).

The forum is also a very useful Puppy resource - where uers genuinely help one another. Just tonight had a question regarding gtkbasic002 and MU replied within minutes. Had I posed the same question to MS, I would still be waiting a year from now and would NEVER get a code snippet out of them.

Thanks and cheers,
Vovchik