sfs_load issues

Using applications, configuring, problems
bpuppy

sfs_load issues

#1 Post by bpuppy »

OS=PuppTahr 6.0.5
PUPMODE=12

When I need to compile some src packages, I load the corresponding devx SFS package with sfs_load. Once done, I unload the devx with the same script.

My issue is that it leaves a lot of directories and files in the /usr/share/doc (and maybe at other places too...) which a casual user does not need.

Do the devx /usr/share/doc directory really need to be merged with the actual one?

Could the devx store these documents in a different, proprietary directory where removal would consist of deleting that directory... w/o tempering with the regular one?

bpuppy

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

The process of loading and unloading .sfs packages including the devx does not, in and of itself, leave files and directories behind such as the ones you describe.

If you are loading the devx and then compiling it will almost certainly be the compiling and installing process which is producing these files. Things such as documentation files in /usr/share/doc can be deleted if you are sure you don't need them

If you are running a frugal you can look in /initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/doc (for example) and there you will see (and can selectively delete) only the files which have been added over and above your original system files.
Oscar in England

bpuppy

sfs_load

#3 Post by bpuppy »

Sorry for my late reply, I was away from home for a week in the country and left my laptop bag in the garage. :roll:

I tried loading sfs and unloading again without compiling in between, and found that the extra directories in the /usr/share/doc directory were still there... but rebooting right after the removal made them all disappear!

So thank you for your reply. It helped!
bpuppy

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

In case you didn't know, you should always be operating under Pupmode 13 otherwise the Automatic-Save (default Save Interval is every 30 minutes) may kick in during the compile process and write the unwanted files to your SaveFile/Folder. Once that happens rebooting won't remove them.

Pupmode 12 is default if you boot from a hard-drive. Changing to Pupmode 13 is a three-step process:
(1) Edit your menu.lst or grub.cfg to change or include the argument pmedia=ataflash from pmedia=atahd.
(2) Change Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager>Session Tab, Save Interval to 0 (zero).
(3) Save the change to your SaveFile/Folder.