BionicPup32 volume slider not working (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mercedes350se

BionicPup32 volume slider not working (Solved)

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

I am now using the Optiplex 9020 SFF full time and have a frugal install of BionicPup32.

As the title says the volume slider does not change the volume - the only effect is that, depending on the "level", sometimes there is sound and other times silence.

Running alsamixer gives:

Card: HDA Intel PCH

Chip: Realtek ALC3220

The Master slider changes volume, and
the Speaker slider changes volume, and
the PCM slider changes volume.

How to make the tray slider work as expected?
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Wed 04 Mar 2020, 23:28, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mercedes:-

Just needs the settings in Retrovol tweaking slightly.

Right-click on the tray volume icon; select 'Mixer/Full window', to bring up Retrovol. Make sure PCM is right up; if you have one labelled 'Front' or 'Speaker', make sure that's up as well.

Close Retrovol's mixer window. Again, right-click on the tray icon, this time you want 'Config Window'. Select tab 'Main'. Make sure 'Volume Scaling' is set to 'Logarithmic' (this gives vastly-increased scaling control over that offered by 'Linear'). Make sure the auto-mute box is checked.

Then, tab 'Tray'. For 'Tray Slider', from the drop-down make sure 'Master Playback Volume' is selected. Now you can hit the 'Apply' button, and quit.

I find a re-boot (and a 'Save', if you do that manually) usually works wonders at this point.

All things being equal, your tray icon should now control the audio volume as expected..! :)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 06 Mar 2020, 20:31, edited 2 times in total.

Mercedes350se

#3 Post by Mercedes350se »

Thank you. Worked a treat!

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mercedes350se wrote:Thank you. Worked a treat!
Always glad to help fellow Puppians out. Enjoy.

EDIT:- You may find this little trick makes life a bit easier. It's one of the first things I always do with Retrovol.

By default, the dimensions of the volume 'scale' are a wee bit on the 'skinny' side for my liking. Standard settings (in the 'Tray' tab) are something like 102px height x 20px width? So; I simply make them bigger, and the scale is then easier to work with. I increase the width to anywhere from 50-80 pixels wide, depending on the monitor in use.....and the height I increase to between 400-500.

(You can do the same thing for the sliders in the mixer window, by adjusting the dimensions under the 'Main' tab).

As you know, you can click the icon, the scale appears, and then you just click & drag the level of the scale to where you want it, yes? However; you can also click the icon, leave the cursor on the icon, then adjust the level with the mouse wheel/track pad. You can even just move the cursor to the volume icon and do the same thing with the mouse wheel without 'clicking' it on, because you can see the volume level in the 'tooltip'.....

And don't be afraid to experiment with different colours for the 'lit' & 'unlit' portions of the scale, either. Mine normally runs with the active part a dark red, and the 'unlit' part in yellow. Just personal preference.

The short GIF below shows all 3 methods; click'n'drag; click'n'scroll, and just 'scroll' over the icon, using the tooltip. You'll see what I mean about the change in size:-

Retrovol is highly configurable. Pizzasgood came up with a winner when he put this together.....so you may as well make use of that flexibility, and set it up to suit yourself. It may not look as fancy as some you can find in other desktop environments, but I guarantee you can't set 'em up the way you can Retrovol..!

Mike. :wink:

Mercedes350se

#5 Post by Mercedes350se »

Thanks for the tips - I never, ever use the scroll wheel though.

OK. While on the subject of colours how do I make the speaker symbol a nice green for instance. I have tried "everything" but not the correct "thing" obviously!

Currently it is black on black - I know where it is but ...

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I have tried "everything"
What exactly is everything?

This is suppose to change the color.
Right click on speaker icon.
Select change icon color.
Select a color.
Select apply.

If the color did not change.
Try Applications menu->Exit->Restart Graphical Server
This should make the graphical server use the new setting.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

B.K. Johnson

#7 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@bigpup
Thanks for that little tip on changing the color of the audio icon in the tray. I have had this need for so long ...every time I change wall paper. Thanks a bunch!
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

Mercedes350se

#8 Post by Mercedes350se »

bigpup wrote:If the color did not change.
Try Applications menu->Exit->Restart Graphical Server
This should make the graphical server use the new setting.
That was the "thing" I did not try!

Thank you.