Seamonkey 2.53.1 final released 28 Feb 2020

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ozsouth

Seamonkey 2.53.1 final released 28 Feb 2020

#1 Post by ozsouth »

Seamonkey 2.53.1 final has been released today - see https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
Last edited by ozsouth on Fri 20 Mar 2020, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

rek769

Seamonkey 2.53.1 - No sound in browser w/ BionicPup 64 8.0

#2 Post by rek769 »

I have no sound in Seamonkey 2.53.1 on my current system (BionicPup 64 8.0, frugal, with savefile) and in a fresh install of both BionicPup and SM 2.53.1. Interestingly, Waterfox 2020.20 is working normally so I'm am not convinced this is a Puppy problem but would appreciate any thoughts on what might be wrong.

Otherwise, sound is working fine system wide.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

rek769 "I would appreciate any thoughts."

Just tried it under BionicPup64. No sound.

Seamonkey is a Mozilla application. It may expect your OS to have pulse-audio installed. Puppies have a problem with pulse-audio and use apulse as a work-around. Try starting Seamonkey with the command, if memory serves :roll:, apulse seamonkey.

Or take a look at how firefox-portable is packaged. It includes a folder named "extralibs" within which are libpulse (and related symlinks) and is started by a wrapper requiring those libs be used.

I like Seamonkey for its builtin Komposer. May also be lighter on RAM usage, and may, like firefox, actually honor the folder restrictions when run as Spot. But I haven't tested. I don't like that it writes profiles and cache to /root.

If Mike Walsh doesn't get around to it soon, I'll build a portable Seamonkey, following his lead in copying the technique fredx181 developed for creating portables whose wrapper, in addition to managing apulse, locates both cache and profiles in its own folder.

rek769

#4 Post by rek769 »

Tried running with the apulse command: success!!
Thanks for the suggestion.

I also do not like that Seamonkey profiles get written to root but if you start Seamonkey with "seamonkey -ProfileManager" and then select "Manage Profiles"you can setup/control where the profile folder is stored. I keep mine on a protected part of my hard drive so as not to eat up savefolder space on puppy.

Again, thanks very much for your help.

ozsouth

#5 Post by ozsouth »

BarryK reports slowdown after 2 hours continual use, remedied by a restart. I find it 'chews' ram when streaming, although not as much as firefox.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

My SeaMonkey is compiled to use alsa:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... ster64.pet

It was compiled in EasyOS 2.2.x, which is built from Debian Buster 10 DEBs, so might not work on pups that are built from other distros packages, such as the slacko pups.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeslr wrote:Just tried it under BionicPup64. No sound.

<..../snip/....>

If Mike Walsh doesn't get around to it soon, I'll build a portable Seamonkey, following his lead in copying the technique fredx181 developed for creating portables whose wrapper, in addition to managing apulse, locates both cache and profiles in its own folder.
@ Mike:-

I have actually built both 32- and 64-bit portables of SeaMonkey 2.53. They fire up fine.....but I've not released them yet, 'cos I've got the old "font" issue, where instead of text I just have row after row of little square boxes...!! It's an issue I've never been able to get to the bottom of, and it only ever seems to affect Mozilla-based browsers.....so any pointers on this would be mucho appreciated, if anybody knows the answer.

It can't be owt to do with system fonts not being right, 'cos everything else in Pup behaves itself....

(*shrug*)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 22 Mar 2020, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Do you have a /fonts directory under the main seamonkey dir. ?
With a file like EmojiOneMozilla.ttf in it?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, musher0.
musher0 wrote:Do you have a /fonts directory under the main seamonkey dir. ?
Err....yup. (How d'you guess? :lol:)

So; what do I do with it? Delete EmojiOneMozilla.ttf, I would guess.....and then what? Leave it empty, and let it look for the system fonts, or replace it with something else?

B.K. Johnson

#10 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Mike Walsh
If you don't have Gtk-3 installed, that may be your solution.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

B.K. Johnson wrote:@Mike Walsh
If you don't have Gtk-3 installed, that may be your solution.
@ BKJ:-

I wish it were that simple.

Since GTK-3.0 is pretty much a requirement for all major browsers nowadays, I invariably have it installed.....and with the 3 Pups I currently use - DPup Stretch, Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64, it comes installed by default.

Thanks for the suggestion, though; there's many who aren't aware of this one.

ozsouth

#12 Post by ozsouth »

@Mike Walsh - seems like my LibreOffice issue - see pic below.
Only suggestions were to start with a new profile or use something else (I did - wpsoffice).
Playing with userChrome.css (buried in /root/.mozilla) helped me with minimum font sizing in an earlier Seamonkey.
Attachments
lof_failure.jpg
(34.43 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Oz, have you tried the LibreOffice AppImage? It's a humungous monster of a thing, but in the 64-bit 'buntu-based Pups (Xenial64 and Bionic 64) it just 'works'.

If you're interested in trying it out, you can find links to it in the AppImages thread, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 84#1051384

.....followed by a bit of discussion around the subject. (BTW, those AppImages in the link appear to be updated on a fairly regular basis, too, so no problems with keeping LO up to date).

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, musher0.
musher0 wrote: Do you have a /fonts directory under the main seamonkey dir. ?
Err....yup. (How d'you guess? :lol:)

So; what do I do with it? Delete EmojiOneMozilla.ttf, I would guess.....and then what? Leave it empty, and let it look for the system fonts, or replace it with something else?

Euh, no, don't erase the Emoji-bla-bla font. It's for emojis!!! That said...

Did you compile SM with the proper / recommended parms,
or did you download it "ready-made" from the SM site?
(and re-worked it to make it portable.)

If you took it "ready-made", did you take the one for your language?
Just saying here, but if you accidentally downloaded one for an Asian language,
there is a high probability you don't have Asian fonts on your Pup, and so SM shows
rectangles instead of Latin letters?

Another possibility, maybe, would be that the Pup's country/language/keyboard
configurations are jumbled? So the Pup doesn't know which character set to use?
Not to forget the locale configuration... (Again, just saying.)

IHTH
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#15 Post by BarryK »

ozsouth wrote:BarryK reports slowdown after 2 hours continual use, remedied by a restart. I find it 'chews' ram when streaming, although not as much as firefox.
I should have mentioned in my blog post that I was using the SeaMonkey Composer module when I experienced the slowdown (and the SM browser module was also running). It was repeatable.

So maybe if you are just using the browser, you won't hit the slowdown problem. Or it could just be an issue with SM not linking my hardware.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]