Fossapup64-9.0.3 RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
davids45

Try 64BionicPup?

#121 Post by davids45 »

G'day DuMar,

With all the memory and storage you've got, why not try a non-Alpha 64-bit Pup like 64BionicPup? This Pup must be nearly up to Omega!

But I don't know if Lick can do multiple Pup installs?

Those in the know could probably just do a manual install (create a new subfolder and copy the BionicPup files there, then edit the menu.lst file to add the new OS). I don't have such a new computer as yours so I'm unsure about UEFI issues.

Or use a USB to run 64BionicPup - this should point to a hardware problem rather than an Alpha-Pup problem? Likewise, try an even older and proven 32-bit Pup on a USB as a test 'vehicle'?

Good luck with your trials.

David S.
DuMar

#122 Post by DuMar »

Good afternoon Davis,

Only fossapup runs on this machine. I tried mint19 today and it all ended in a big crash after the installation. The try out from usb went well.

Linux is just not competable with this kind of new hardware (yet).
oldaolgeezer

Fossapup64-9.0.1

#123 Post by oldaolgeezer »

Hello 666philb:

Thank you for your new fossapup64-9.0.1

With my simple needs it seems more like your new fossapup64-9.0.1
is a "release candidate" than an "alpha" !

I have been trying it on several of my desktops and laptops:

On the older desktops (such as my Dell Optiplex 760), I've been just copying
all of your 12 files (after clicking on your iso file to expand the iso)
into a fossapup64-9.0.1 named folder on their flash drive or hard drive (if they
had one) and adding a few lines to my existing Frugal install grub4dos
menu.lst file as follows:

title Puppy fossapup64-9.0.1 64-bit (sda1/fossapup64-9.0.1)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /fossapup64-9.0.1/initrd.gz
kernel /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz psubdir=fossapup64-9.0.1 pmedia=usbflash pfix=nocopy,fsck
initrd /fossapup64-9.0.1/initrd.gz

title Puppy fossapup64-9.0.1 64-bit SAFE MODE (sda1/fossapup64-9.0.1)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /fossapup64-9.0.1/initrd.gz
kernel /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz psubdir=fossapup64-9.0.1 pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram

(I realize not all your 12 files are needed, but it was just easier for a quick test.)

On my new UEFI Dell Inspiron 3552 Laptop with Windows 10,
as above, I copied the 12 files into fossapup64-9.0.1 named folder on
my big NTFS hard drive partition and added to my three file
USB boot flash drive a few lines to its existing grub.cfg file to
make a Frugal install:

menuentry ' '{
true
}
menuentry "fossapup64-9.0.1 64-bit " {
search --set -f /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz
linux /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz pfix=fsck psubdir=/fossapup64-9.0.1 i915.modeset=0
}
menuentry "fossapup64-9.0.1 64-bit SAFE MODE" {
linux /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz pfix=ram,fsck psubdir=/fossapup64-9.0.1 i915.modeset=0
}
menuentry "fossapup64-9.0.1 64-bit no X" {
linux /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz pfix=nox,fsck psubdir=/fossapup64-9.0.1
}
menuentry ' '{
true
}

(I found that fossapup64-9.0.1 seemed to "hang" at the final boot
operation unless I added "i915.modeset=0" to the "linux" line
of the grub.cfg entry on my UEFI Dell Inspiron 3552 Laptop
USB flash drive.)

===

My Puppy software needs are pretty basic and I tested the
following fossapup64-9.0.1 software successfully:

palemoon 64 bit (it self updated to version 28.9.3 also)
RoxFiler (copy, move, paste and delete and "open terminal here")
GParted (just simply displayed sizes of partitions)
CUPS version 2.3.1 on HP laserjet 5P (connected with a USB to parallel adapter cable and printed with LibreOffice-6.0.1_64_en-US)
Calibre and its ebook-viewer version 3.40.1
zoom SFS version 3.5.383291.0407 64 bit (video meeting software)
LibreOffice-6.0.1_64_en-US_xz.sfs

My small wish list thus far:

For Calibre's ebook-viewer, for its search and dictionary
web lookup features to work, it needs (note the https):
ln -s /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser /root/Choices/URI/https

Asking for display of Devices > USB Devices with the HardInfo 0.6-alpha
utility seemed a bit scant of details.

and it took me a bit of effort to change the color of folder icons (when
dragged to the desktop by RoxFiler) from "green" to what I consider the
more common "yellowish Manila" color !

Maybe these comments will encourage more readers to try it.

Thank you again, 666philb, for your great fossapup64-9.0.1 Puppy.
peebee

Startup segfault

#124 Post by peebee »

Hi Phil

/etc/xdg/autostart/gsettings-data-convert.desktop

calls

gsettings-data-convert

which segfaults...............see dmesg

can maybe be removed from build?
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64
peebee

jwm segfault

#125 Post by peebee »

Hi Phil

In common with all pups using jwm-2.3.7

jwm segfaults if you right click on a window top bar and select Move but only if this is the first Move after a desktop restart

If you move the window using the mouse first, then the above segfault does not happen.

Can't find any reference to this problem using Google or looking at
https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues

We should maybe raise an issue if we can be sure that this is not Puppy specific?

dmesg e.g.:
jwm[***]: segfault at 78 ip *** sp *** error 6 in jwm
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64
check5

#126 Post by check5 »

DuMar wrote:I installed a -adrv version with Lick on my machine ( Asus Vivobook ryzen 3 256 gb SSD + 1 tb hdd)

Adjusting the screen resolution to the 1280 x 720 setting caused a complete shutdown when X restarted. I could not make it work.

Then I restarted the Fat32 + F2FS version from yesterday, the one that frooze 2x this morning, and I changed the screen resolution from 1280 x 720 to 1280 x 800 and saved + restart. I have now 2 black lines on both sides but it runs already for more then 2 hours now.

Can the screen resolution be of influence ??
Hi DuMar, it sounds like a windomanager problem. The next time when freezing again you can test it if you press the buttons CTRL+ALT+F1 on your keyboard. If you become a "functional" terminal then it is the windowmanager. You can kill it by pressing the buttons CTRL+C.
After that you can type xwin in the terminal to start jwm again.
ozsouth

#127 Post by ozsouth »

HAVE MADE A SEPARATE THREAD FOR THIS JWM 2.3.7 ISSUE:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 82#1057882
mikeslr

Puppies' Kernels can be swapped

#128 Post by mikeslr »

davids45 "With all the memory and storage you've got, why not try a non-Alpha 64-bit Pup like 64BionicPup? This Pup must be nearly up to Omega!"
DuMar wrote:Good afternoon Davis,

Only fossapup runs on this machine.... The try out from usb went well. Linux is just not competable with this kind of new hardware (yet).
One of the advantages of using a modular approach to building a Puppy is that its kernels can be swapped. Swapping a kernel entails taking a couple of files from a different Puppy (or from a kernel package) renaming them and substituting those for the files which were included in a Puppy's ISO. Excluding download time, it takes less than 5 minutes. The files to rename/swap are vmlinuz, zdrv_xxx.sfs and sometimes fdrv_xxx.sfs.

From your quote it appears that you are, or can, install Puppies to a USB-Stick and boot them from there. I don't know what technique/program you used with Fossapup64, but you could do the following:

1. Use the same technique/program with Bionicpup64, BUT DON'T RUN IT YET.
2. Create a folder on your USB-Key. Name it something like "original", without the quotes. So that you get the spelling right --linux is fussy-- open two file-manager windows: one into the "original" folder, the other to where puppy_bionicpup64-8.0.sfs is located.
3. Move bionicpup64's vmlinuz and zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs into the "original" folder.
4. per 666philb, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78#1056278 fossapup64 uses both a zdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs and a fdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs. Not mentioned but obviously included as it is the 'actual' kernel, is fosapup64's vmlinuz. Copy those files to the USB-Key onto which you 'burned' bionicpup64 into the same location where you'll find the file named bionicpup64-8.0.sfs.
5. Rename zdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs; fdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs fdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs.
6. Try to boot you new Bionicpup64 on a USB-Stick. If the only problem was the need for a newer kernel, you should now be running bionicpup64 with applications proven over the last couple of years but using the kernel and associated drivers and firmware your computer needed.
DuMar

#129 Post by DuMar »

Thank you Mike, I'm impressed about your solution. I'm gonna try it out and I will keep you informed.
DuMar

#130 Post by DuMar »

check5 wrote:
DuMar wrote:I installed a -adrv version with Lick on my machine ( Asus Vivobook ryzen 3 256 gb SSD + 1 tb hdd)

Adjusting the screen resolution to the 1280 x 720 setting caused a complete shutdown when X restarted. I could not make it work.

Then I restarted the Fat32 + F2FS version from yesterday, the one that frooze 2x this morning, and I changed the screen resolution from 1280 x 720 to 1280 x 800 and saved + restart. I have now 2 black lines on both sides but it runs already for more then 2 hours now.

Can the screen resolution be of influence ??
Hi DuMar, it sounds like a windomanager problem. The next time when freezing again you can test it if you press the buttons CTRL+ALT+F1 on your keyboard. If you become a "functional" terminal then it is the windowmanager. You can kill it by pressing the buttons CTRL+C.
After that you can type xwin in the terminal to start jwm again.
Thank you Check5. I tried it out but I do not get a terminal after pressing CTRL+ALT+F1. I can only use the power off button.

I installed Xubuntu 20.4 and it has the same problem, freezing once in about 3 hours. I used the machine with windows 10 and it ran for the whole day. So sad.
DuMar

Re: Puppies' Kernels can be swapped

#131 Post by DuMar »

mikeslr wrote: One of the advantages of using a modular approach to building a Puppy is that its kernels can be swapped. Swapping a kernel entails taking a couple of files from a different Puppy (or from a kernel package) renaming them and substituting those for the files which were included in a Puppy's ISO. Excluding download time, it takes less than 5 minutes. The files to rename/swap are vmlinuz, zdrv_xxx.sfs and sometimes fdrv_xxx.sfs.

From your quote it appears that you are, or can, install Puppies to a USB-Stick and boot them from there. I don't know what technique/program you used with Fossapup64, but you could do the following:

1. Use the same technique/program with Bionicpup64, BUT DON'T RUN IT YET.
2. Create a folder on your USB-Key. Name it something like "original", without the quotes. So that you get the spelling right --linux is fussy-- open two file-manager windows: one into the "original" folder, the other to where puppy_bionicpup64-8.0.sfs is located.
3. Move bionicpup64's vmlinuz and zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs into the "original" folder.
4. per 666philb, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78#1056278 fossapup64 uses both a zdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs and a fdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs. Not mentioned but obviously included as it is the 'actual' kernel, is fosapup64's vmlinuz. Copy those files to the USB-Key onto which you 'burned' bionicpup64 into the same location where you'll find the file named bionicpup64-8.0.sfs.
5. Rename zdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs; fdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs fdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs.
6. Try to boot you new Bionicpup64 on a USB-Stick. If the only problem was the need for a newer kernel, you should now be running bionicpup64 with applications proven over the last couple of years but using the kernel and associated drivers and firmware your computer needed.
I tried it like you explained above. The result was a kernel panic.

But,

I looked again at your explanation and I decided to try it the other way around.

I made a new copy Fat32 + F2FS from Fossa. This time I changed the 4 fossapup sfs files for 2 bionic sfs files and renamed these two like the fossapup ones. zdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs and puppy_fossapup64_9.0.sfs

I booted the machine and it looked like a normal fossapup boot. At the end the bionicpup desktop appeared. Succes!!! For the first time I'm running bionic on this new laptop. After the first shutfdown it saved as bionicpup so I had to rename the savefolder to fossapupsave. That works too now.

What is not working? I can't change the screen resolution. Wat ever setting I give in it stays the same. The resolution is big, the icons are very small.

Mike, thank you for your help and maybe all this experimenting gives 666philb a clue why my machine has so much problems with the newest member of the tribe.

I created a strange hybrid. I will test it the next days to see if this one freezes or not. I hope someone knows how to change the screenresolution. I need the 1024x720 setting. That's not in the list and all the other settings don't respond to the setting.
Last edited by DuMar on Tue 12 May 2020, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
666philb

#132 Post by 666philb »

new iso uploaded.... 9.0.2 (first post)

thanks everyone! various fixes from the thread applied jwm, abiword, rox etc.
a lot of work has gone into making this build woof friendly and i'll be pushing to woofce in the coming days (expect some regressions ..ie things fixed in the last iso that aren't in this.)

new additions are conky dunst_gui (kulusz) take'a'gif & transtray (fredx181), gogglesmm (a music manager for big music collections), new theming and some bespoke wallpapers from nilsonmorales.
uget is now the default torrent and transmission is removed.

things still to do ...

qt theming
fix set_bg so wallpaper stays in ratio (request incoming)
new download manager (request incoming)
shrink a bit
quickpet

enjoy
Last edited by 666philb on Sat 16 May 2020, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
Marv

Re: Fossapup64-9.0.1

#133 Post by Marv »

oldaolgeezer wrote: and it took me a bit of effort to change the color of folder icons (when
Share the secret handshake? I am more at home in lxde but in JWM I usually can manually edit the appropriate .jwm files to set colors, clock theme etc. if they aren't obvious in the GUI theme changers but this one eludes me.

@666philb- Update to 9.0.2 from 9.01 went smoothly. gatotray is now working correctly on my Fujitsu S761 second generation i5 based laptop. Backgrounds also switch ok for me now. Conky displaying correctly here also. I am a minimalists minimalist so I run without it except for diagnostic checks. Pulled my redshift-portable install and am using your built-in, didn't see it was onboard already :oops:
9.02 (as 9.01 did) resides happily in my daily rotation kennel.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
peebee

#134 Post by peebee »

Hi Phil

Couple of points on 9.0.2....

/etc/DISTRO_SPECS doesn't look quite right - there is no Woof-CE line to say which version has been used and parts of the file are duplicated......

PPM repos - neither focal64 nor bionic64 are shown by default (only xenial64 and tahr64 are shown) and focal64 is greyed out in the Choose repositories gui so can't ever be shown....

Cheers
peebee
bigpup

#135 Post by bigpup »

entered in error.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
escucha

#136 Post by escucha »

Thanks for the beta but...

No errors until now.
Yes... full of regressions. [Things fixed were not here], (not Beta then?).
Great wallpaper with strange behavior in setting (changes randomly the size and style of the original and lost it (altered) in Background originals)
Forgotten the new-new icons in rox filer (was a great look).
Forgot the YASSM samba shares search.
Palemoon ever outdated, says for update version... m'hua hua...
Still without full install that works much better for me to test. Your beta in computer's FULL control of HD, no windows, no multi OS interferences.
Waiting new accumulative Beta.

Anyone has seen the leftover crowd of useless icons on the distros?
[size=75]Trying Fossapup 64bit. Still daily work in Bionic64.[/size]
mikeslr

#137 Post by mikeslr »

Hi DuMar,

"This time I changed the 4 fossapup sfs files for 2 bionic sfs files and renamed these two like the fossapup ones. zdrv_fossapup64_9.0.sfs and puppy_fossapup64_9.0.sfs...After the first shutfdown it saved as bionicpup so I had to rename the savefolder to fossapupsave. That works too now." Emphasis supplied.

There's an entire thread on switching kernels, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 164#453164, as it used to be much more difficult. Somewhere before page five is something like what you did which received the name "frankenpup". :lol: There's a post about what changes are necessary to get it to create a properly named SaveFile. And, IIRc, have Puppy Package Manager access the correct repositories.

But the primary reason I'm commenting is that, as I understand your post, you ended up using the kernel (vmlinuz) from fossapup64 and the renamed zdrv_bionicpup64-8.0.sfs. Zdrv's contain drivers (and usually firmware). These are the mechanism through which an operating system communicates with a computer's hardware. Drivers are "kernel specific": that is, as I understand it, they are compiled against a specific kernel and will only work with that kernel (or maybe a slight --point-- variant: e.g. 5.4.2 and 5.4.3). So, a zdrv.sfs has to be used with a corresponding vmlinuz (kernel).

[The fourth file --initrd(.gz)-- identifies by name which files to copy into RAM].

Try using three files from fossapup64 and the puppy_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs renamed to puppy_fossapup64_9.0.sfs. You'll still have the Savefile & wrong repo problems mentioned above. But it may solve your screen resolution and icon problems.
oldaolgeezer

Fossapup64-9.0.1

#138 Post by oldaolgeezer »

oldaolgeezer wrote:

and it took me a bit of effort to change the color of folder icons (when

Marv wrote:
Share the secret handshake?
Marv, my "bit of effort" remark was meant to add some levity to my report!
That said, I did try to change my desktop's icon color with various settings using
the JWM desk manager utility without success.
Finally, I used the right click "Set Icon" feature on my greenish desktop icon
and choose the middle radio button, and dragged the "yellowish Manila" color icon

(I've used this technique in older Puppies desktop icons too.)
peebee

#139 Post by peebee »

With adrv....

Utility menu has 2 Urxvt with slightly different configs (1 calls urxvt the other calls rxvt).....
peebee

#140 Post by peebee »

The svg icons in:
/usr/share/pixmaps/jwm_button_themes

have invalid xml versions - should be 1.0