How to format corrupt SD card in the smartphone?

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

How to format corrupt SD card in the smartphone?

#1 Post by nubc »

I recently tried to view docs on my SD card in my smartphone running Oreo Android 8.1. I received a message that the SD card is corrupted, do I want to format. I tried to format, but the operation fizzled when I refused to transfer photo files from archive or cloud, not sure. I don't have any problem seeing the SD card contents on my Puppy system using go-mtpfs MTPdevice command. The folder "Sandisk SDcard" looks empty. I tried to transfer a "ephem" file, but got an error that the child file already exists. If I right-click inside the "Sandisk SDcard" folder, the only useful option is "Delete", as there is no Format option. GParted does not see the SD card. My smartphone is not rooted. At present, I do not maintain a computer running Windows. I do not have a special interface device to operate on the separate SD card. I would prefer not to remove the SD card from the phone because my new smartphone case is very stiff. Any suggestions on how to proceed in recovering the corrupt SD card?

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

interesting problem....do you have a terminal app on the phone?

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

I have installed Terminal on my phones, but there is little that can be accomplished with the app without root. Many YT tutorials solve this corruption issue by running CHKDSK /f from Windows command prompt. I'm not sure whether the SD card is removed or still in the phone for Windows to operate on it. Data is not lost by this technique. My best hope is probably to force, invoke, or trick Android into performing the format again. I may have an old Acer Aspire One laptop running Win 10 laying about somewhere.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Hmm, maybe Hiren's or >> https://www.boot-disk.com/features.htm / check_disk

And if you don't have the means to deal with it now, replace it with a new one until you can.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

enrique

#5 Post by enrique »

nubc wrote:...My best hope is probably to force, invoke, or trick Android into performing the format again. ....
I hope I do not confuse you even more.

When you hook your Android to your PC what is offered to you is a SPECIAL communication mode meant to allow you to share Media Files. That system will never work as a Linux normal drive. That is the reason gparted and other will never work.

You have only two options.
1) Removed the Card, make a backup then rework your Sdcard on an SDCard Reader or adapter. Be-careful if you reformat. Depending on the card there are only a few method accepted on your android.

2) Use you Android to reformat your SDCARD. Always make a backup. Then go to Settings>Storage>SDCARD>Format SD card.

***Important make sure you are selecting your EXTERNAL SDCARD. Some Android versions will allow to select your Internal SDCard and if you do you will be erasing your Android. Most likely you will boot to a Clean Android. But there where old android that will even get corrupted.

I guess as you said you have "Oreo Android 8.1" you will see at the Top "Device Memory" and should not give you option to modified. Then at the Bottom you should see "SD card" and at the very last option you should see "Format SD card"

There used to be an app in the market called "aparted" that used to require root. I guess you could look and see if it is available.

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

Enrique, as you said, aparted requires root. I bit the bullet and swapped the SD card with my old phone's SD card and now I have a working SD card (same size, same data, mostly) in my current phone. The corrupted SD card does not work in my old phone running Nougat 7.0, requiring format which fails to clear the corruption, getting the same error as before, ie. file already exists. If I can manage to find my Acer Aspire One running Win 10, I may be able to run chkdsk /f on the card because the Acer mini laptop has an onboard SD card port.

I should probably root a third phone just for this purpose, to do special operations on SD cards, etc. I have a third phone, the permanent battery expanded (swelled) and consequently disconnected the flash light, but that is the only thing wrong with it.

EDIT: As i mentioned above, the battery swelled, pushed against the back cover of the phone, and in so doing it separated an electric contact to the flash bulb for the rear camera. I wonder if I could hard-wire that contact with 2 inches of wire, one end detachable. Or just jam a piece of folded metal in there to make the contact when the cover is closed. Question: if I hard-wire the contact with a length of wire, will there be any delay (lack of synchronicity) in the flash bulb with regard to picture taking?

enrique

#7 Post by enrique »

WARNING:
USER If you are reading this, please ignore this. Playing with batteries is dangerous, from intoxication, to breaking thing to phone getting on fire.

nubc
Please note the warning.

Lets say you have some old phone you can root. But it is in unusable. Meaning you will not used it for daily use. Depending on the battery you may be able to vent the "TOXIC AIR". But you need to be very careful. Then you can use it ONLY to take care of this little emergencies.

IF YOU TOUCH THE INNER PART OF THE BATTERY IT CAN EXPLODE.

Let me give you my testimony. On September 2017 we got Hurricane Maria. Then 9 month of no Electric Power. I had 3 Samsung Galaxy Captivates with swollen batteries. So I took a really small wood drill bit. Using ONLY my hands I started moving back and forth penetrating the plastic little by little. You will smell the Toxic Air. The plastic will stay swollen, due to much time and heat deformation. I took a bunch of heavy peaces of block wood. I also got handy a rapid dry glue to cover the hole.

So I let the blocks pressuring the battery for some hours. This help in allowing the Air out. Then I put some glue on the hole and place a piece of paper on top. Then put pressure over the batteries again over night. At the next day most of the swollen is gone. The paper will allow for the glue to run where ever it wants. But will not let the battery to glue to the wood. Yes the paper may remain stick to the battery. So put attention at not using to much glue, just enough for it to cover the hole.

After a day I had 3 phones that I ONLY use to kill my time on games while I had no power.

NOTE: Make the hole on the side that face toward the Battery Cover. Never toward the electronics. If a leak occur, you can easily clean the cover, I can not say the same thing on the electronics.

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

I had forgotten how much I liked the Moto G3 (2015). Owners of the Moto G3 really got ripped off. Motorola was supposed to upgrade the Moto G series phone through two versions of Android. Instead, G3 owners only received one upgrade, to Marshmallow. A great phone was intentionally deprecated to makes users buy the newest iteration, the G4. which was a cheap piece of junk. The Moto G4 doesn't even have an onboard compass, so you can't use the Star Map app. I also need a compass to adjust my broadcast TV antenna. So I was very eager to be done with the awful G4. My wish was granted when I left it in the car on an overcast Spring day, and somehow the battery got hot, and now the battery loses charge at a rate of 15% an hour. Good riddance to a lousy product. Next I went with the Moto E series (4000 mAh battery), and I am fairly satisfied with the product. Back to the G3. I really did like the G3 and it was painful to move on to another phone, but there was no way to get mono audio on it because it was stuck on Marshmallow. The next Android version, Nougat 7, provided a mono audio option. I looked into replacing the battery, but Batteries Plus didn't carry the replacement battery, and so, naturally, they wouldn't perform the service. The batteries available on eBay had a serious reliability problem.

enrique

#9 Post by enrique »

It is funny how we stick to what we know even when we are not happy with it.

I got cellular phone when no one did. Just in case I had a travel emergency. One that never happened. I learned this from an uncle. His pre-Cellular phone occupied most of the Car Trunk. HEHEHEHE, They where in fact fancy radios. Most of the time we had to Call the attendance to patch the call.

Then I had HTC. From windows phone to palm OS. Then a nephew got me involved in to Androids. I love those suckers. We could root them very easy and do what ever we wanted. For many years I was involved in Android development/hacking. All until 4.2 or so. Then I spent most of my time hacking trying to restore what got taken from us. But at 4.3 I saw it was going against the current. USA NSA, Google, Kernel.org, Samsung etc where taking little by little our freedom. The 1rst Samsung SG3 where suddenly without warning been bootloader block with signing keys. Many phones where lost as the OTA updates will force update but not all the bootloader line up where signed with same keys. As many of us had different selections of bootloaders/kernel installed.

Since then, and for many years I had not Purchase a New Phone. My current is a 5 year old model, and I have it ONLY because was a FREE gift. I just not understand People. The pay all that money for a phone just to show they can a ford it. Even when it is a piece of crap. ALL to join the Social Media. And a few only find suicide.

This is getting ridiculous. Now even the USA government will not send people its relief funds if they do not attache a cellphone number and email. Boy this is getting stupid by the minute.