Creating shortcuts to folders

Booting, installing, newbie
jhsu

Creating shortcuts to folders

#1 Post by jhsu »

Is there a way I can create such shortcuts on the desktop? I want easy access to the internal CD-ROM, external CD burner, floppy drive, data files, etc.

Bruce B

Re: Creating shortcuts to folders

#2 Post by Bruce B »

jhsu wrote:Is there a way I can create such shortcuts on the desktop? I want easy access to the internal CD-ROM, external CD burner, floppy drive, data files, etc.
All you can do is create shortcuts. Meaning to say you can't move or copy files or directories to the desktop.

As far as how to do it. Open ROX, find what you want to put on the desktop and drag and drop the icon to the desktop. You can then right click on the item and rename it, change icons, and other options.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

The reason you can't actually copy things to the desktop is that the desktop is just a text file (/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin).

If you need to make links/shortcuts to things in the actual filesystem, you can use symlinks. They're basically like shortcuts in Windows, but better. They don't have as many compatibility issues. To make them, you can either right-click on something and choose "link", or drag them with the middle mouse button and choose "link".
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]