2.14: no burning program recognizes USB CD burner?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhsu

2.14: no burning program recognizes USB CD burner?

#1 Post by jhsu »

I have Puppy Linux version 2.14 installed to my hard drive.

How do I burn an ISO file to CD? For that matter, how do I burn anything to CD?

MUT does not recognize my CD burner.

PMount recognizes my CD burner.

Puppy CD/DVD drive Wizard recognizes my CD burner.

The Burniso2CD only recognizes my read-only CD-ROM, not my USB CD burner.

Gcombust recognizes my CD burner but just hangs. Even though I've clicked on the "combust" button, it doesn't seem to be burning the CD - I just get the dialog box that says "waiting for burn to start" and no progress on the progress bar.

Grafburn refuses to recognize my CD burner.

There are several different ways to burn a CD, but none of them are working for me. Where am I going wrong? And why do some of the mount tools recognize my CD burner but not others?
Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I've no experience with USB burners. I have had excellent experience burning ISO files to CD with Puppy when it was using kernel version 2.4.x

I've not tried it with 2.6.18 yet.

Here is the script I use:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 "$@"
This script could more easily be made as a Bash alias.

I can't know in your case know what the device is or how it would work with 2.6.18, but if you want to try out some ideas, maybe this post will help.

Try cdrecord -scanbus command line command, and see if your burner shows up.

If it does use the bus, target and lun as displayed. Then use the commands above to record the ISO. The speed= is variable of course.

Please report results, be they negative or positive, okay?
jhsu

#3 Post by jhsu »

Bruce B wrote:
Try cdrecord -scanbus command line command, and see if your burner shows up.

If it does use the bus, target and lun as displayed. Then use the commands above to record the ISO. The speed= is variable of course.

Please report results, be they negative or positive, okay?
I entered the command "cdrecord - scanbus" in an rxvt window. The results:

Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.18.1
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

I thought the USB CD Burner would be a SCSI device. Did you?

You might modprobe then see if cdrecord -scanbus show a device

modprobe ohci-hcd
modprobe uhci-hcd
modprobe ehci-hcd

(found in /usr/share/pci-usb.modules)
Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Another thing:

I don't know if you made a typo or not.

Not cdrecord - scanbus
Rather cdrecord -scanbus
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

this may work:

cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus

if you want to use the ide driver, you could do it like this:

cdrecord dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc .....

assuming your cd drive is /dev/hdc
jhsu

Pmount program

#7 Post by jhsu »

OK, red means unmounted, green means mounted, and you click on the icon to change the mount status. Sure is easier than a bash shell.
jhsu

Still not working

#8 Post by jhsu »

OK, I got the hang of mounting and unmounting in Puppy Linux. But the CD burning programs aren't working for me.

The result of cdrecord -scanbus:

sh-3.00# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'HP ' 'CD-Writer+ 8290 ' '1.3C' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
sh-3.00#

The HP 8290 is the CD burner I'm using.

The results of the modprobe commands:

sh-3.00# modprobe ohci-hcd

sh-3.00# modprobe uhci-hcd

sh-3.00# modprobe ehci-hcd

sh-3.00#

The results of the cdrecord commands:

sh-3.00# cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
scsibus0:
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
scsibus1:
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
1,0,0 100) 'OEM ' 'CD-ROM 48SSB ' '1.20' Removable CD-ROM
1,1,0 101) *
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *
sh-3.00#

I was able to blank the CD using the command line, but I haven't been able to get any further. Where do I go from here?
Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

It's now showing up on the scsibus as 0,0,0

The modprobe might be what made it show up ??

See if burn2isocd shows the burner, it didn't before. It it doesn't show it, run cdrecord -scanbus to see if its still recognized. If it does show up in burn2isocd, then try using it.

If it doesn't show in cdrecord -scanbus or burn2isocd, then modprobe again check as mentioned above.
jhsu

Finally burned!

#10 Post by jhsu »

OK, I finally got the CD burner to work, but I'm not sure what the critical step was that allowed it to happen.

The 50 MB file burned remarkably rapidly. Why? I was expecting the process to take several minutes like it does in Windows 98 and Fedora Core 1.
Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

Please tell for the sake of community knowledge, what program worked?

If it was burn2isocd, I'm curious if the USB burner still shows up in burn2isocd after rebooting.
jhsu

burn2iso was what worked

#12 Post by jhsu »

I don't know why it worked this time but not other times.
dot

#13 Post by dot »

In my experience, getting the different programs to recognize the correct device is the biggest issue here. Getting my USB 1.1 burner to work was just the same hassle as you're up against now.

It is not a problem of Linux not seeing your device. cdrecord -scanbus told you it was at 0,0,0 (whatever that means, don't ask me), so blanking a CD-RW with

cdrecord -dev=0,0,0 -blank=fast

should work.

Don't bother with Gcombust, I never got it to do what I wanted it to do. Look at the "device driver" field, doesn't it just show garbled letters?

Try TkDVD! It is for CDs as well, you just need to enlarge the window to find the "burn" button. Grafburn should work too, but requires a bit of clickety-click to get the configuration right.

Now - what device name to use? The CD/DVD wizard should have given you one choice. I don't remember exactly what it was in my case - something like /dev/scd0. But look at the two mounting tools: does at least one of them have a different device name for the burner? In my case, MUT showed "/dev/sr0", and this is what did the trick. Puppy 2.15 now offers me "/dev/hdc", but I don't think it would work (to be tried out yet).

Even if these device names don't show up anywhere, there's probably no harm in testing them.

Hope that helps,

dot
[size=75][Celeron [Mendocino] 500 MHz laptop _ 128 MB RAM _ PCMCIA ethernet _ PCMCIA modem _ USB 1.1 CD burner _ Puppy 2.15CE Final frugal install _ Firefox 2 _ YAY Puppy for legacy hardware][/size]
jhsu

#14 Post by jhsu »

Now I'm trying to use the CD burner again tonight, but I'm having the same difficulties for no apparent reason. For some reason, burning CDs has been hit-or-miss for me.
Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

I let this post alone, to see if someone else has any ideas, but nobody stepped up to the plate.

I suggest run cdrecord -scanbus again and see if the recorder shows up as 0,0,0 like it did before.

If not then run each modprobe I gave you one at a time, follow each modprobe with the cdrecord -scanbus

If the recorder shows up on the scsibus after running one of the modprobes your good to go as far as I can tell you. Put that modprobe line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. The reason being to reset it each boot.
jhsu

#16 Post by jhsu »

Should I try downloading a different mounting program and a different CD burning program? I suppose I could use command lines to burn CDs, but that's too much hassle given how many things I'd have to include (right speed, numbers, directory, etc.).

Or is it time for me to try different distributions? Puppy Linux is great as a rescue CD and for surfing the net without disturbing the hard drive, but perhaps it's too much to expect it to work with my particular CD burner.
Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

I'll answer your questions. But please answer mine first. Did the suggestions I made in the last post work. Specifically,

* Did cdrecord -scanbus fail to show your burner prior to running the modprobes?

* Did cdrecord -scanbus show your burner after running the modprobes?

Edit PS note: none of the command lines procedures I've give you are designed burn cds for you, although their are command lines to do that.

I'm trying to isolate a problem and if we succeed, your burning .iso images should be seamless GUI procedures.
jhsu

#18 Post by jhsu »

I didn't edit the rc.local file yet.

However, the fact remains that even if I can get the CD burner to mount properly, that doesn't do much good if the CD burning programs refuse to recognize that. The trouble is, the CD burning process is a hit-or-miss proposition.

I'm not giving up on Puppy Linux entirely like I did Fedora Core. But this is only the second Linux distribution that I've given a fair shot. I need to try out more distributions so I can get a sense of what the strengths and weaknesses of each one are. Then I'll use whatever distribution is appropriate for what I need to do. Fedora Core 1 didn't have trouble recognizing the CD burner or burning CDs. However, it wouldn't erase CDs or play any Internet multimedia (like Youtube). Puppy Linux has had no trouble with Internet multimedia, but is flaky at recognizing my CD burner and burning CDs.
jhsu

#19 Post by jhsu »

OK, I rebooted and tried cdrecord -scanbus . It found nothing the first time, then did find the CD burner when I tried again a second time.

sh-3.00# cdrecord -scanbus
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
scsibus0:
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
sh-3.00# cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schillingcdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.18.1
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
scsibus0:
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
0,0,0 0) 'OEM ' 'CD-ROM 48SSB ' '1.20' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
sh-3.00#
sh-3.00#
sh-3.00# modprobe ohci-hcd

sh-3.00# modprobe uhci-hcd

sh-3.00# modprobe ehci-hcd

Still, what good is it if rxvt recognizes the CD burner but the CD burning programs cannot?
Bruce B

#20 Post by Bruce B »

You still have not answered my questions and that leaves me at a technical disadvantage in helping you. Which as I'm sure you know, I've sincerely tried to do.