Puppy 2.16Beta Bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy 2.16Beta Bugs

#1 Post by Lobster »

First tried booting up with "Puppy pfix=ram". That seemed OK - could get a connection, edit wiki, browse, connect to forum and chat etc (Chat is not automatic in 2.15 - so I for one was very glad to find this returned)

So decided to upgrade from 2.15 . . . It seemed to go OK but there was a conflict with the desktop icon arrangements and they were all over the place. Not sure if that can easily be avoided - probably not, as 2.15 uses a radically different layout . . . So it is probally a better experience upgrading from 2.14 . . .

Watch out for Warrens 3rd Final Release of Puppy 2.15 incidentally

Under shutdown we have 'Change Window manager' - not sure what this does even when a window manager is installed . . .

JWM configuration is improved. G2 I note has already found a bug. I have not. However I have created this thread to report bugs for the developers

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy216

Do read Barrys release notes, which show the increasing input
from our developing developer team.

Perhaps we should call it Puppy 2.16CE?

woof woof
Viva 2.16 Puppy "Luv"
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 10 May 2007, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
gray

Bugs

#2 Post by gray »

Puppy 2.16 beta is looking good. Love the icons. Most things seemed to work OK (wireless, printing etc). Did have a few problems though.
The change locale works OK for the fetch option but pops up an error message when the local option is chosen. Xvesa works fine but Xorg does not work with my 7600GS (No problem with this though as installing the 3D nvidia drivers fixes it).
For some reason Seamonkey crashed quite often :(
BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Ah, yes, "Change window manager" is supposed to offer to restart with a different window manager if one is installed, but it hasn't been implemented yet.
Actually, it would be easy to do, just exit from X then run 'xwin <newwindowmanager>'.
wmwragg

Frugal install

#4 Post by wmwragg »

I seem to be having difficulty with my frugal install of puppy 2.16, I'm getting the following error right after it mounts the swap partition:

ERROR, cannot find puppy on 'idehd' boot media
PUPMODE=1 PDEV1=

My menu.list entry is:

title Puppy Linux 2.16 (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz_216 ro vga=normal pfix=ram
initrd /boot/initrd_216.gz

I put the pfix=ram for testing.

I have tried it with PMEDIA set, I have also tried putting the pup_216.sfs into the boot folder rather than leaving on the root of the partion, still no joy.

This method seems to work with all the previous puppies I've used, am I missing something obvious? I know that the way puppy 2.16 finds it's files has changed for 2.16 but I thought the above would still work.

Anybody any ideas?
Firefox

Frugal Install

#5 Post by Firefox »

I tried just for a change to install frugal in hda2, hda1 being dos and I got the same problem wouldnt boot. So I went back to my Normal full install and works fine. I noticed on first shutdown it couldnt stat /initrd/ files and I couldnt find the initr.gz file anywhere makes me wonder how the normal bootup is okay.
So far looks to be a great distro.
wmwragg

#6 Post by wmwragg »

OK. I think I've worked it out. There were two things tripping me up:

1) I renamed the vmlinuz to vmlinuz_216 and the initrd to initrd_216. This has been fine in the past, and has been the way that I boot multiple versions.

2) The way that puppy now looks for the initrd file has changed.

The upshot of the above is that I can nolonger rename the initrd, but I can put it in it's own directory, as long as I tell puppy. My working menu.list is:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/puppy_216/vmlinuz ro vga=normal psubdir=boot/puppy_216 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /boot/puppy_216/initrd.gz

The important parameter being the psubdir which points to the subdirectory where the initrd is.

Pupppy will default to looking for initrd.gz in / or /boot if no psubdir is given.

I think this should be mentioned in the release notes, as I remember it changing, but I thought that the psubdir parameter had been removed again?

Anyway, I have to say the new look and feel is great, am loving pmount, and the new sfs manager. It's an all round great update many thanks to Barry and all those involved. I'll keep testing.
vabene06

pet-problems

#7 Post by vabene06 »

I tried the 2.16beta. I cant open a pet-file with clicking on to it. I got this message

‹c!F.

Same problem with .pup-files.

Installing with the puppy-package-manager all pets work.
vabene
raffy

looking good

#8 Post by raffy »

2.16 looks good, figuratively and literally :) Flash videos and MP4 play well in Gxine full screen.

Just noticed that messages popping up use large courier font that seems out of sync with the fonts on screen. As the theme is bluish, could that box be made bluish, too (darker or lighter, that is)?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Burned 2.16 beta to DVD+RW, booted with pfix=ram option so it didn't use the pup_save file on my hard drive, configured my internet connection and installed Skype, shut down saving to DVD, rebooted, and everything is as it was before I shut down.

Yay, Barry! 2.16 beta works as multisession (at least on a DVD. :) )
PhilCoo

Hanging on re-boot

#10 Post by PhilCoo »

Running 2.16beta as live cd: When I go to turn-off or re-boot machine it gets to the save-to-cd option which works,goes to the option of removing media and press ENTER key to continue.Remove cd and then press ENTER then machine hangs with message "The media tray appears to be open,or media not inserted.Please enter media and/or close tray then press ENTER key", pressing the enter key does nothing have to press reset button to continue.

thanks for any suggestions

Phil
veronicathecow

Only a newbie could find these problems!!

#11 Post by veronicathecow »

I've been having problems upgrading (Have reported this to Dougal and he is working on it)
Lobster kindly showed me how to find out which version I am using in case install had not worked, but now I still don't know if I am using the alpha, beta, zeta, mu, nu or pi version 8-)
I'm writing this on what I think is the Beta version (Done as frugal)
Sorry to be a pain but I want to make sure that any bugs I find are on the current releaase and I am not misleading you with old data.
Cheers, Tony
P.S. I should add there is not a lovely 2.16 beta background (Nice touch Barry it will really make things easier when it displays okay on my machine but I am not sure why that is, perhaps some theme problem?
I run 3 seperate machine with 5 different version of Puppy and am easily confused 8-(
HairyWill

#12 Post by HairyWill »

Looks great.
I've got problems with Gparted and Pmount. I'm running them from a frugal install.
The boot process finds my existing pupsaves on hda3 and gives me the option to select one or use none but then finds them again so I have to select none again before the boot continues. Not a big problem I've reported it before, it just makes me think that there might be a logic error in init. This might be worth investigating the next time someone is working on init.
I agree with the post above that psubdir should be documented in the release notes if it is used in the final release.

It takes gparted 5 minutes to scan my drive. In puppy 2.14 it takes about 30 seconds. I don't have a floppy, running gparted from the command line, gives the messages shown.

Pmount doesn't see all my partitions but MUT does. This is a problem in earlier puppy releases, I've just never reported it before.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

The upshot of the above is that I can nolonger rename the initrd, but I can put it in it's own directory, as long as I tell puppy. My working menu.list is:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/puppy_216/vmlinuz ro vga=normal psubdir=boot/puppy_216 PMEDIA=idehd

The important parameter being the psubdir which points to the subdirectory where the initrd is.

Pupppy will default to looking for initrd.gz in / or /boot if no psubdir is given.

I think this should be mentioned in the release notes, as I remember it changing, but I thought that the psubdir parameter had been removed again?
Yes, I didn't really take it as far as I should have. As Dougal pointed out, requiring yet another boot parameter (psubdir) is not the most desirable thing. So, I would rather keep it as low-profile, as it may not be needed in next version.
Anyway, I think most people would have the puppy files in either / or /boot.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

I tried the 2.16beta. I cant open a pet-file with clicking on to it. I got this message

‹c!F.
I just tested, clicked on a .pet package, it installed fine. Anyone else got this problem?
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Hanging on re-boot

#15 Post by BarryK »

PhilCoo wrote:Running 2.16beta as live cd: When I go to turn-off or re-boot machine it gets to the save-to-cd option which works,goes to the option of removing media and press ENTER key to continue.Remove cd and then press ENTER then machine hangs with message "The media tray appears to be open,or media not inserted.Please enter media and/or close tray then press ENTER key", pressing the enter key does nothing have to press reset button to continue.
So I suppose you have a laptop?
The tray is closed when you press ENTER?
Try pressing ENTER more than once.
wmwragg

frugal install

#16 Post by wmwragg »

BarryK wrote:

root (hd0,0)

Yes, I didn't really take it as far as I should have. As Dougal pointed out, requiring yet another boot parameter (psubdir) is not the most desirable thing. So, I would rather keep it as low-profile, as it may not be needed in next version.
Anyway, I think most people would have the puppy files in either / or /boot.
Yeah, fair point.
Last edited by wmwragg on Thu 10 May 2007, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
wmwragg

firefox pet

#17 Post by wmwragg »

Installed the firefox pet via the package manager. Worked fine, but I had to reboot to get it to work from the menu. I think the PATH variable wasn't updated as the menu calls 'firefox' which is in a newly created dir.
wmwragg

Clicking pet file

#18 Post by wmwragg »

BarryK wrote:

‹c!F.
I just tested, clicked on a .pet package, it installed fine. Anyone else got this problem?
Just downloaded abiword_PLUGINS-2.4.5.pet from ibiblio and clicked on it in rox window and it kicked of the install program, asking if I wanted to install or abort. Seems to work OK for me.

Just an aside, everything in puppy 2.16 seems to be a more spritely, starting up more quickly, and being more responsive. Is it just me?
wmwragg

#19 Post by wmwragg »

HairyWill wrote:Looks great.
It takes gparted 5 minutes to scan my drive. In puppy 2.14 it takes about 30 seconds. I don't have a floppy, running gparted from the command line, gives the messages shown.
I can confirm that gparted takes an age to do a scan. I also do not have a floppy drive and get the same error:

Unable to open /dev/fd0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/fd0 has been opened read-only.

after a couple of minutes and then:

Unable to open /dev/fd0 - unrecognised disk label.

at the end when gparted has finished it's scan.
HairyWill

#20 Post by HairyWill »

Poking further, parted takes about 20 seconds to load and dmesg gives

Code: Select all

end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
It looks like gparted makes the same call to parted many times because after the 5 minutes it takes gparted to initialise dmesg gives:

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT3 FS on hda5, internal journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 1
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 2
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 3
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 4
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 5
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 6
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 7
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 1
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 7
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
aha found this
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=502353
lsmod | grep floppy gives nothing but it looks like there is still an entry in fstab for the floppy

sh-3.00# cat /etc/fstab 
none          /proc        proc     defaults               0 0
none          /sys         sysfs    defaults               0 0
none          /dev/pts     devpts   gid=2,mode=620         0 0
/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy  auto     noauto,rw              0 0
sh-3.00# 
Looks like this was known in august 06 in parted 1.7.1
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=351753