Puppy says I'm out of memory

Booting, installing, newbie
jaapz

Puppy says I'm out of memory

#1 Post by jaapz »

Oke here is my next problemo.
I now have succesfully installed puppy at my hd with grub, but when i boot puppy there is that dark-light flickering red button like thing and it says "none". Well i know why i does that so i want to make a file thats called "pup_save.3fs", but how do i do that? I searched on the Wiki but didn't find the answer.

Really, really thanks,
Jaapz
sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi jaapz; Puppy's making of a Save file should be automatic.
Click RoxFiler & look in: /mnt/home, is there no pup_xxx.2fs file showing?
Or save a file & reboot & see if it's still there or if it's disappeared.
Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Do you want to add another storage file or make the current one larger or specifically what?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Could this be the free memory applet he's talking about? Jaapz, how much RAM does this computer have? Is there a swap partition on your hard drive?
alienjeff

Re: Puppy says I'm out of memory

#5 Post by alienjeff »

jaapz wrote:... there is that dark-light flickering red button like thing and it says "none"
Flash wrote:Could this be the free memory applet he's talking about?

Flash:

Ya think?

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Alienjeff, by asking the question I was hoping to imply that if jaapz is out of memory, it doesn't seem like messing around with his save file will be much help. Possibly I misunderstood the problem, or the suggested solutions. Take it or leave it. Do you have a suggestion for jaapz, or are you just channeling Gn2? :lol:
jaapz

#7 Post by jaapz »

yes its the free memory applet, and yes i've got a swap partition with 512 mb of space. By the way, my normal sd-ram memory is 64mb
Th3_uN1Qu3

#8 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

It's the personal storage file Puppy is complaining about. You've got very little RAM, and the swap file isn't everything.

You have to increase your personal storage file by, let's say, 128 megs. You can find the necessary tool in the Utility menu.

Good luck! ;)
[b]Toshi Portege 4010[/b] | PIII Tualatin 933MHz | 512MB RAM | Cyberblade 16MB | 30GB | WiFi, IrDA | ~5 hrs runtime | WinMe :( |

[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8125/userbar654682fy5.gif[/img]
jaapz

#9 Post by jaapz »

Well then it says:
Sorry, puppy is not currently using a personal persistent storage file. etc,etc,etc... If you have installed puppy to hard drive , or installed such that personal storage is an entire partition, then you will not have an pup_save.3fs file either.
(Press ok to exit)
So, what do i do when there isn't a pup_save.3fs, but i have a big partition (3gig) open for puppy. And i can't install any pup packages?

EDIT:
ehh i think puppy doesn't recognize my swap partition, when i type mount in the console there is no /dev/hda1... Why?
Th3_uN1Qu3

#10 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

Well, when you don't have a personal storage file, you create it. :P Just shutdown Puppy and it should prompt you to create that file.

For the mounting issue, just use the Puppy Drive Mounter. Click the drives icon on your desktop (the one resembling a flash drive) and it will run. From there you can mount your HDD, CD-ROM and floppy. ;)
[b]Toshi Portege 4010[/b] | PIII Tualatin 933MHz | 512MB RAM | Cyberblade 16MB | 30GB | WiFi, IrDA | ~5 hrs runtime | WinMe :( |

[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8125/userbar654682fy5.gif[/img]
jaapz

#11 Post by jaapz »

oke now he sees the swap partition, but when i shut down the system he doesn't sk for anything at all, so i can't make that file! :cry:
jaapz

#12 Post by jaapz »

sunburnt wrote:Hi jaapz; Puppy's making of a Save file should be automatic.
Click RoxFiler & look in: /mnt/home, is there no pup_xxx.2fs file showing?
Or save a file & reboot & see if it's still there or if it's disappeared.
there is no directory /home in /mnt
jaapz

#13 Post by jaapz »

nobody knows why?
please help!
HairyWill

#14 Post by HairyWill »

jaapz wrote:yes its the free memory applet, and yes i've got a swap partition with 512 mb of space. By the way, my normal sd-ram memory is 64mb
64MB RAM with that much swap runs the risk of thrashing your swap space if it is used. As far as I can tell there is no evidence here that your disk is being used at all.

You say you don't have /mnt/home. What install type did you choose, full/normal or coexist/frugal?

If it was full/normal you don't need a save file.

If it was frugal post the output from the command

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
and also from

parted /dev/hda print
assuming your disk is called hda. I wonder if the disk is formatted properly. Puppy won't create a save file on an unformatted partition.
RickyVaio

Same problem here

#15 Post by RickyVaio »

Say, I've got the same problem, I think
I did a full install, and everything worked fine... until one day the machine crashed, and now it does not mount the swap partition automatically, and it says I'm out of memory (the red thingy in the system bar). Partview says, correctly, that I'm using only 300 MB of a 1.2 GB partition.
Any ideas?

Thank you
RickyVaio
HairyWill

Re: Puppy says I'm out of memory

#16 Post by HairyWill »

jaapz wrote:that dark-light flickering red button like thing
Assuming this is a full install, perhaps someone else can enlighten us on what the freememapplet is supposed to show?
jaapz

#17 Post by jaapz »

i think it just has to show the size of the personal storage file? or is that wrong?
jaapz

#18 Post by jaapz »

HairyWill wrote:
jaapz wrote:yes its the free memory applet, and yes i've got a swap partition with 512 mb of space. By the way, my normal sd-ram memory is 64mb
64MB RAM with that much swap runs the risk of thrashing your swap space if it is used. As far as I can tell there is no evidence here that your disk is being used at all.

You say you don't have /mnt/home. What install type did you choose, full/normal or coexist/frugal?

If it was full/normal you don't need a save file.

If it was frugal post the output from the command

fdisk -l
and also from

parted /dev/hda print
assuming your disk is called hda. I wonder if the disk is formatted properly. Puppy won't create a save file on an unformatted partition.
it was just the normal install
HairyWill

#19 Post by HairyWill »

We've established that you don't need to create a pup_save file.
Any changes you make or software you install will just get written into your normal filesystem.

If your swap is being recognised you should see an entry for it in MUT (on the "filesystem" menu). If the the swap is being used then there will be a dark blue box saying "swap off". This may appear counter intuitive but it is actually a button that allows you to turn the swap off if you press it.

Another way of investigating your swap space is to use the "free" command in a console
jaapz

#20 Post by jaapz »

the swap is recognized, in the MUT.
but when i try to install firefox or thunderbird or other packages, he can download the firest package, until it gets to the second then he says that there's not enough space. But i have a partition of 4 gig available! And its also showed in the MUT