devx_216.sfs does not load correctly

Please post any bugs you have found
wegstar

devx_216.sfs does not load correctly

#1 Post by wegstar »

Hello, I am having problems with the devx_216.sfs module. I am using Puppy 2.16 with the pup_save.2fs on an ntfs harddrive. I downloaded the devx_216.sfs file in the same top level directory with the pup_save.2fs file along with the open office sfs. The open office sfs loads correctly, while the devx_216.sfs seems to only have partially loaded. All the things that should go in /usr/bin/ i.e. (f77, gcc, g++, gcj) exists, however, /usr/include is totally empty, and the development libraries are not in /usr/lib. Attempting to compile in such a state obviously results in countless errors. And yes, I did verify the integrity of devx_216.sfs.

What I think makes this problem qualify as a bug is the fact that when I upgraded my old Puppy 2.13 pup_save.2fs file to 2.16, the devx_216 module worked fine. However, when that old save file became corrupted, I deleted it, and I created a new one in 2.16. The devx module then failed to load. When I mounted the devx module at /mnt/tmp manually, all the files seemed to be there. After issuing a

Code: Select all

cp -sr /mnt/tmp /
Compilation worked. However, puppy linux refused to boot properly afterwards. What's more strange was that sometimes it booted successfully, but the x server always fails to start.

So I was wondering, does anybody else have problems with the partial loading of the devx_216.sfs module? Is there a glaring problem I don't see which is causing the partial loading?

My theory is that puppy 2.16 has something that is replaced by devx_216.sfs which is crucial, and doing so would break puppy. So as a safeguard option, the devx_216.sfs does not load entirely, as the action is canceled. By doing so, I would be breaking the system, as demonstrated by my manual loading...

Thanks in advance.
Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

Do you mean that in the past you "deleted" /usr/include in your pup_save file?

You should go and look in /initrd/pup_rw (or if you're using a flash media, pup_ro1), with "show hidden" on, and look for .wh files, which are used to hide files/directories.
You might find a file /initrd/pup_rw/usr/.wh.include which hides the include dir - just delete it.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind
wegstar

#3 Post by wegstar »

Thanks a lot Dougal! That fixed it.