Matlab latex editor WinEdt Kile

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
findik

Matlab latex editor WinEdt Kile

#1 Post by findik »

Hi
I really liked Puppy linux from memory disk and I want to install it to my computer. However I need to know first the following:

1- I mainly use Matlab for scientific computation and Latex (actually Winedt Latex editor on Windows and Kile latex editor on Linux ubuntu).

Can I use them in puppy linux?
For matlab to license work correctly Matlab needs to be installed as a sifferent user than /root. Is it possible to create different account in puppy linux apart from root?

For latex/editor, I really liked Winedt more than Kile. It is simple (I love simple things) and it has exactly what I need: autospell, text wrapping. I did not see Kile could do that although it has much more functioanality (in my respect useless functionalities).

Is it possible to install KDE applications such as Amarok mp3 player?

That's it, thats all I am using in a desktop. Is it too much to ask all working in puppy linux?

If possible to install, I would be very glad if you can show the steps to install these softwares for me as a linux beginner but linux user for the last 3 months.

Best regards,
findik
findik

#2 Post by findik »

so I found that in this new puppy linux, it is possible to install tetex and texmaker anyway. However, when I tried to install it gives an error:

You should login again to update the environment variables.

what does it mean?

findik
ymer

#3 Post by ymer »

Hey Findik, I just now finished installing MATLAB R2006b on Puppy 2.16 without any problem, and it runs well despite of the fact that the license manager should be running with a non-super-user account. I think I read also somewhere that when starting lmstart, you can force with a flag so that it starts with the root account. Anyways, for me it's now working without any tweaking, so you can also try and verify if it's OK with you or not.
findik

matlab latex editor winedt kile

#4 Post by findik »

Hi ymer,

How did you do it? Is MATLAB your own copy, single user? Does not it ask a username while installing? Did you add a user in Puppy, how?

Good that you could install it but it is still a mystery to me.

best
findik[/quote]
ymer

#5 Post by ymer »

Iyi gunler Findik,

I did just a normal MATLAB installation, put your license in a directory where you want your MATLAB to be installed (I put it outside of the root "/" , so that it doesn't get saved inside pup_save file as MATLAB installation can be as large as 1.5 GB). Then followed the installation instructions. I didn't do anything special.

And I have a license from the institute where I work, so I'm not quite sure how is the relationship of lmstart not being run under root account with the type of license one might have.

And no, the license is a shared one. And it doesn't ask for a username neither.

I think you can add a user to Puppy (though I didn't) by running adduser command in terminal, I think it's not a functional one to be logged in or something like that, but it creates the user anyway.

What I can recommend is that you try to add a fake user (adduser) and then use the "./lmstart -u username" with the username being the user you just created. I hope this would be helpful.

Cheers
Ymer
findik

matlab

#6 Post by findik »

Iyi gunler Ymer, ve tesekkurler onerilerin icin!

Thanks for suggestions. I really needs matlab working urgently since I am using it all the time for my research. I made it work under ubuntu but I liked puppy better for simlicity and speed and planning to use puppylinux from now on.

Your matlab situation looks very same like me: mine is also from institute. After my install from terminal I type ./lmstart but it gave error(please see attachment): "superuser is not allowed to start license manager".

I also tried adding a user as u suggested but when I resarted computer I did not see any login screen, I still very new to puppy. I wanted to make a default user as "matlabusers" since for other linux distro we had to do that in our institute to make matlab work. I think in our institute Licence manager by default works under "matlabusers". However your situation is very similar to mine, and you did not have the problem.

Any suggestion is urgently needed,

Best
findik
Attachments
lmstarterror.png
(78.97 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

you could try something like:

su spot
./imstart

you may have permissions problems running as spot that you would need to address, like accessing file systems
ymer

#8 Post by ymer »

Merhabalar Findik,

A better place for getting all the information regarding the structure of the license file is inside of the install_doc.pdf of matlab's CD.

I suspect that you should only create a specific user like matlabuser for Matlab installation, it should work with any other user. But if you want to create a specific user, just try this in terminal:

Code: Select all

adduser matlabuser
su matlabuser
matlab -nodesktop -nosplash
Please run these codes and tell me what you get. Note that I usually don't run "lmstart" directly, instead I just run matlab command and if something is wrong it will tell me.

Regarding your other questions about the hostname, "puppypc" is the name of your computer, you can change it with:

hostname YOUR_NEW_NAME
And I think if you want to make if permanent, put the new name inside of /etc/hostname.

You can also get your new hostid by just typing:

hostid
Also what you can try is that you start license manager as a non-super-user:

./lmstart -u USER_NAME
where USER_NAME is the user you just created with adduser. See if you can get with it anywhere.

If you couldn't make it to run at all, another alternative would be to use a puppy derivative which supports multi-users. I'm new to puppy too, so I have just tested grafpup other than puppy, and it has multi-user features and it's compatible with puppy too. So you might want to try your luck with it too.

Cheers
Amir
findik

matlab install

#9 Post by findik »

Teskkurler for quick reply.

When adding user, he did not like password but created anyway without allowing me entering 3rd times another password he likes. Then command line changed to --> $

In ubuntu I had to start first ./lmstart (license manager) and after than I could start matlab. Directly typin matlab as you suggested gave me error (see attachment, matlaberror1.png).

I installed matlab under /usr/local/matlab.

/lmstart is under /usr/local/matlab/etc.
typing ./lmstart under rxvt(does this terminal allow me copy&paste, otherwise I have to attach .png file each time) gave me error2.png). If I type:

./lmstart -u matlab
I get 3rd error.

If I type:

su matlabuser 
./lmstart -u matlabuser
I get 4th error.

Since I am always using Matlab, if this does not work on puppy, I have to go back to ubuntu. I want to work for a while and see if I can make it work.

thanks for the inputs.
findik

[/code]
Attachments
matlaberror4.jpg
(53.86 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
matlaberror3.jpg
(55.84 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
matlaberror2.jpg
(54.3 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
matlaberror1.jpg
(87.77 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
ymer

#10 Post by ymer »

Selamlar Findik,

Please try this to see what happens, when in terminal, execute:

chmod a+w /var/tmp/
This will give write permission to that directory to all users, maybe this way the license manager would start.

Amir
findik

#11 Post by findik »

./lmstart -u matlabuser 
gave attached...Unknown host:matlabuser

Then I typed:

su matlabuser
./lmstart -u matlabuser
gave error6
Attachments
matlaberror6.jpg
(81.7 KiB) Downloaded 739 times
matlaberror5.jpg
(75.3 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
ymer

#12 Post by ymer »

That's quite odd, since /tmp/ has all permissions for everyone. I'm lost a bit.
findik

#13 Post by findik »

I might do stg wrong from the beginning. I will try grafpup mutiuse modality.
THanks for the help!