How to use screensaver or suspend mode in 2.16?

Booting, installing, newbie
farele

How to use screensaver or suspend mode in 2.16?

#1 Post by farele »

Hello
I have just installed puppy 2.16 on a hard drive. I have used puppy 2.14 and 2.15.
Most everything has always worked fine but I have never succeeded in making work the screensaver or the suspend mode. In the JWM configuration manager, i have enabled the screensaver and dpms options (through a window gtkxset), but nothing NEVER happens.
I don't know what to do. I have noticed that whatever version i use, the options Menu : "Restart JWM" and "Change Window Manager" never works.Nothing happens when i select one of them.
Thanks for your help ( i post in Beginners because i have never heard of such problems, so i imagine it's a newbie problem)

jonyo

Re: suspend mode

#2 Post by jonyo »

Some folks have suspend probs ('pute freezes then too) on laps (think older) that I don't think they've resolved. I tried mine out (newer ones) after hearing about it & had no probs.

Lotsa diff gear out there & don imagine an OS can be made to make it all work. Dunno about yours. What type 'pute? Haven't heard about this being a prob with desktops.

farele

#3 Post by farele »

thanks jonyo for your reply.
My laptop is a compaq armada M7OO PIII
Do you think suspend could work with it? It works with zenwalk and xubuntu (though sometimes i coud have problems with resume), but what about puppy?

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

Try a search of suspend
Dunno much about the whole thing myself. :oops:
This thread has 28 comments.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93&t=14467

farele

#5 Post by farele »

The link is fine
. I have downloaded the tiny program "suspend" they have included in the thread (36 Ko uncompressed), and it works. Resume is perfect too.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

Wow :shock: That's good news :D I just glanced at that thread. Glad to hear it worked out :!: 8)

Chouca

#7 Post by Chouca »

Farele,

Can You even suspend and resume SEVERAL times in a row with the script - for me it works perfect once, the second time I try to resume Puppy has fallen into a coma and I have to perform a brutal power off to proceed.

Anyone got a clue of how this can happen? Is there any way to "reset" the video states (?) or whatever is affected by the script...???

Martin

Th3_uN1Qu3

#8 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

Hmm, i have a similar question that isn't worth a new topic.

How can i make the settings i've made with gxset run at every boot? Because now, every time i shut the X server down or reboot, it reverts to the defaults.

I've noticed that i can save my gxset settings into the .xset.sh file, but how can i make it to be executed at every boot?
[b]Toshi Portege 4010[/b] | PIII Tualatin 933MHz | 512MB RAM | Cyberblade 16MB | 30GB | WiFi, IrDA | ~5 hrs runtime | WinMe :( |

[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8125/userbar654682fy5.gif[/img]

farele

#9 Post by farele »

Chouca,
Suspend works fine, even if i suspend and resume several times in a row.

Th3_uN1Qu3,
I have installed the script "suspend" because i have never succeeded in making work the dpms settings ; maybe a hardware problem. But it seems to me that other gxset settings doesnt work : i have not yet heard any sound when i click on the "Beep me Scotty" button; whatever the parameters i selected.