How to configure Grub for Puppy on hde2 ? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
arslan

How to configure Grub for Puppy on hde2 ? (Solved)

#1 Post by arslan »

Hi Puppy people,

I have a computer that used to have 2 HDs (one for XP system -- C: -- and the other for data storage -- D:). Then the one with the system died, and I had the remaining disk partitioned in 2 (by a technician in a store, I did not do it myself), so that now I have one small WinXP system partition (C:) and the other, larger partition for data storage (D:) (both FAT32).

Now to the problem: when I boot Puppy on that computer off the CD, the two HD partitions are seen as hde2 (C:) and hde5 (D:) (yes, that's "e" in both cases).

Lately I've been trying to install Puppy as frugal dual boot with grub, but I can't seem to configure it properly, it keeps reporting errors (can't find Puppy files).

When searching the forums for a solution I found this:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

and followed the instructions to the letter, but to no avail. I suspect that my problem might be that the two partitions are percieved by Puppy not as hda1 and hda2, but as hde2 and hde5.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Gekko

#2 Post by Gekko »

Paste your /boot/grub/menu.lst to www.pastebin.ca and I shall edit accordingly.
ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

Hi Arslan,

I wrote the stuff on:

The problem, (initially), is not so much how Puppy sees you current partitions but how Grub sees them.

Did you read the page?:
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... WinLoc.htm

If Grub sees your primary partition (hde1) in a similar way and your puppy files are located on that partition then the references to (hd0,0) in menu.lst need to be (hd2,0).

Once Grub has found the Puppy files I am not sure how Puppy will react, but let's get past Grub first!

ICPUG
arslan

#4 Post by arslan »

[quote="Gekko"]Paste your /boot/grub/menu.lst to www.pastebin.ca and I shall edit accordingly.[/quote]

Hi Gekko,

thank you very much for the quick response! :) I am at work now, so I can't paste menu.lst for another 4-5 hours, but I am pretty sure that it goes like this:

title Puppy 2.16
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0
initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.gz
boot

because (after juggling around with everything I could think of -- the placement of files, directories and subdirectories, changing (hdx,y) values in menu.lst, adding and then removing PMEDIA=idehd, PDEV1=hda1(a2, a3...e5, e6...) and so forth) -- I ended up with all the files directly in C:\ and the simplest menu.lst I tried to quote above. And it still doesn't work just as it didn't work when it was more complicated, but at least it's simple. :)

All of this again -- http://www.pastebin.ca/566294
arslan

#5 Post by arslan »

ICPUG wrote:Hi Arslan,

I wrote the stuff on:
Hi ICPUG,

Thank you for the excellent instruction, I enjoyed reading it and was really unhappy it wouldn't work for me... Thank you very much for trying to help me out this way too! It really must be true that Puppians are among the very nicest of all the Linux communities! :)
ICPUG wrote: Did you read the page?:
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... WinLoc.htm
Indeed I have, and I tried feeding grub with arguments I though were right, then I augmented them by 4 ("Extended partitions are numbered from 4"), and in the end I tried supplying all of them, one by one, hoping that eventually I should stumble upon the right one (edit menu.lst, reboot, fail, reboot to win, edit menu.lst, reboot...) -- I can't remember how far I got before being fed up and way too angry to carry on. :)
ICPUG wrote: If Grub sees your primary partition (hde1)
It's hde2, I don't know how nor why... :)
ICPUG wrote: in a similar way and your puppy files are located on that partition then the references to (hd0,0) in menu.lst need to be (hd2,0).
I am at work now and I won't be able to try this out until this evening, but as soon as I get home I will try and let you know what happens.

Cheers!
Gekko

#6 Post by Gekko »

How grhub interprets hd1,0 etc resides in system.map
add (hd1,0) /dev/sde if not there
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

If you're up to taking the covers off your computer, the simplest solution might be to relocate the good hard drive to where the one that failed used to be, including swapping the cable connection (for most computers, the only tool this requires is a #2 Phillips screwdriver.) Then Puppy should see the good hard drive as hda.

If the cable will accomodate, it might even be possible to leave the drive where it is and just swap its connector with the one that went to the failed hard drive. If the failed hard drive is still in the computer, you can leave it disconnected.
arslan

#8 Post by arslan »

Gekko wrote:Paste your /boot/grub/menu.lst to www.pastebin.ca and I shall edit accordingly.
OK, pasted at http://www.pastebin.ca/566984
arslan

#9 Post by arslan »

ICPUG wrote:Hi Arslan,

If Grub sees your primary partition (hde1) in a similar way and your puppy files are located on that partition then the references to (hd0,0) in menu.lst need to be (hd2,0).

Once Grub has found the Puppy files I am not sure how Puppy will react, but let's get past Grub first!

ICPUG
Right, I tried with (hd2,0), but that gets me even further from booting Puppy, I fall out to

grub>

in a second. However, when I use (hd0,1) I seem to get further along the way, I believe that vmlinuz starts, but then for some reason other Puppy files cannot be found (I end up with the message saying some Puppy files cannot be found, "PUPMODE=1 PDEV1=" and ending with "Linux guru can ..." I don't know what, written in red letters (I believe this message has often enough been quoted in these forums...)
arslan

#10 Post by arslan »

Flash wrote:If you're up to taking the covers off your computer, the
<snip!>
hard drive. If the failed hard drive is still in the computer, you can leave it disconnected.
Tried that too, thanks for the idea. The results: when I moved the HD cable to another available slot on the motherboard everything seemed pretty much the same, except that Puppy (booted off CD) now thought my partitions were hdg2 and hdg5.

When I tried the third possible slot, the computer wouldn't boot.

I don't know if this is of any importance, but during the wake up process of the computer (before I get to boot.ini or anything) for a brief moment there is a message on the screen saying something like "primary ide master none, primary ide slave Pioneer DVD..." -- could that be important?
Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

Certainly is! You have to reset the jumpers on the HD, presuming your BIOS is set correctly. Easy to overlook in the melee`. All functional drives MUST be detected.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

If there is a "CS" position for the jumper on the back of the hard drive, try that first. I'd guess about 99% probablility it will solve your problem.
Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

Too crazy and scattered.

I just want to make clear a couple things.

If LInux sees it as hde then so it is and you have to work with that. You can also relocate and re-jumper the drive if you don't like hde. (I probably wouldn't want my primary drive to be hde)

Contrary to the beliefs of some people there is no 1 to 1 relationship between how GRUB identifies a drive/partition and how Linux does it. It is just that often there is what seems to be a 1 to 1 relationship, but in reality there is not.

Believe Linux and believe GRUB

If you don't like what they report, reorganize your hardware, specifically. where your hard drive is connected and how it is jumpered.
Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

Whatever you do, be sure you never set your drives to CS and never re-use CS cables, beloved of the proprietary box shifters. Cable Select is the curse of a multitude of correspondents on countless Fora struggling with issues just like this.
A CS cable has track 28 cut on a 40w cable and the corresponding one on an 80w cable. Although this cut is often visible between the end connector (Master) and the first connector (Slave), some smart*ss companies make the cut underneath the idc so that it is invisible. Although such a cable can be used with conventional jumper settings if Master is also Single and the first connector is used, there is bound to be confusion and a risk of ringing unless the end connector, complete with cable back to first connector is surgically removed with a Stanley.
Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

I've not had the problems you describe, not to say they don't exist. I'll remember your post if I have problems.

My technique is always put the master or single on the end of the cable, if there is a slave it will be the middle connector.

If I use CS it doesn't matter how I set the jumpers, but if not CS, I set the jumpers accordingly. The drive at the end of the cable is master or single and if there is a slave it's in the middle.

------------------

However, I have encountered problems over the years. The nature of the problem being that some drive master / slave combinations don't work well.

In those cases if I can't get my money back, I just cooperate as well as I can with the behavior of the drive(s).

To this day I'm willing to swear that some late model drives make fine singles but lousy masters and/or slaves, but I don't know why.

----------------

Used to have problems with RAM chips, sometimes they'd have to be in a certain order to get all the available RAM. I've not run into this for a few years now.
Sage

#16 Post by Sage »

Yes, some drives are tricky. Many older CD-RW drives insisted on being Master (on the Secondary line). Some HD s require different settings for Single and Master (that's always been the case) and good, modern drives, notably Excelstor, offer complex jumper settings for just about every eventuality. However, if you find no rational explanation of bizarre behaviour, always suspect you've got a hidden cut on a CS cable from the s--a-- companies like Dell! Of course, a broken track can simulate the same phenomenon and there have been reports of such on this Forum. Despite incredible abuse, I've never found such a cable myself; although I've often suspected such, it's always turned out to be a problem elsewhere. Mutlistranded ribbon cables are fantastically robust.
arslan

grub problem -- resolved!

#17 Post by arslan »

Sage wrote:Certainly is! You have to reset the jumpers on the HD, presuming your BIOS is set correctly. Easy to overlook in the melee`. All functional drives MUST be detected.
That's it! I switched the cables in HD and DVD sockets (DVD connected to the primary one, now HD does) and reset the jumpers on the HD -- magic! On the next boot everything worked flawlessly!

Many thanks to all who posted replies! Cheers!
Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Fantastical! Well done!
For the record, the cut track on an 80w ribbon is 67 for CS. I just counted one! Use a MM to check if unsure.