Puppy 2.14 and 2.16 and Muppy 007-212

Booting, installing, newbie
Henson

Puppy 2.14 and 2.16 and Muppy 007-212

#1 Post by Henson »

Good evening from Berlin, Germany,
I use Puppy 2.14 in a Acer Notebook Extensa 503T (built 1998) with 96 MB RAM and 5 GB HDD.
Everything works (except sound), I was very content.Later, I managed to startup from USB-Stick. The OS was ready after startup in 3 minutes, shutdown happened in 1 or 2 minutes.Everything worked, but very slow. So I partitionated my 2GB-USB-Stick and gave 400 MB for a Linux Swap Partition.
Since that I can execute programs I dreamed of before. BUT startup takes about 5-6 minutes now, shutdown about the same time (most time is used for swapoff). Programmstarts are still slow.
As change (fetch) of the default language into German (de@euro) always occurs an error, I tried to upgrade. Either to Puppy 2.16 or Muppy 007-212.
Inserting the Puppy 2,16 Live-CD brings me a black sceen, with the Puppy-Start-Button below, but nothing else. No icon, no screen background. AbiWord did not start.
I tried Muppy 007-212. Things there are even more funny. Before having starting-experience with USB-Stick (with the help of WakePup), I used Muppy until May 2007, starting from CD-Rom. I was even more content. Due to bad treatment to my CD one day it did not start anymore.So I burnt me a new one at the better HomeComputer. Although it must be the same CD, new issue it never startet again. My notebook always halts the startup due to an crc-error.
Can anybody tell me what to do, to upgrade on Puppy 2.16 or again even Muppy 007-212 (to refresh my German)
Henson, from the city without wall

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

Though it's possible to run with 96M of RAM and a swap partition, performance is going to be less than stellar. You might want to consider maxing out the memory on the laptop.

I've done business with OEM PC World and have been very pleased. Here's a link for their memory configurator with your laptop info plugged in: http://configurator.oempcworld.com/resu ... delid=5980

A 64M module for your machine is a paltry US$13.43, though I didn't check to see what shipping to EU would be.

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Henson

Puppy Linux 2.14 on 96 MB RAM

#3 Post by Henson »

Thank you, and good morning,
I had the same idea before. But as maximum possible RAM in this old machine is 128 MB, that seemed not worth enough for me investing so much money for so few advantage (13€-15€ was the price when I asked 9 month ago, for upgrade from 96MB to 128MB). [However, this was the decision before I knew Puppy Linux].