Stuck at shell after increasing size of save file

Booting, installing, newbie
ThePlumber

Stuck at shell after increasing size of save file

#1 Post by ThePlumber »

Been using Puppy for a few days now, and got it running pretty nicely. Then I increased my save file size (told me will happen at next boot) then installed java runtime prior to rebooting.
Worked fine until I rebooted
I used acpi=off when booted
then during booting my filesize was increased by 128M
After getting IP address, it said it was executing a script at /etc/rc.d/rc.local... (?from memory?)
then it went to the -sh-3.00# prompt
No X startup, nothing. I am lost at a linux prompt.

Happens the same everytime. (without the acpi=off or the increase in file size).

Is there a way to get it to resume booting to the XORG when using the save file? Or do I have to start over with a new save file?

Puppy is awesome, but if a save file is this easy to kill then I will probably live in frustration.

Thanks for any help you might have.
Last edited by ThePlumber on Sun 08 Jul 2007, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

cherriepuppy

#2 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

try xwin at the prompt

cherriepuppy

ThePlumber

#3 Post by ThePlumber »

Thanks cherriepuppy,

I tried the xwin command earlier

I just typed "xwin" and hit enter, got something like an "unknown command" message.

do I have to use another command and use xwin as an argument?

Anyway, nothing happened when I tried that. I could browse around in directories but don't know how to do anything else.

Thanks for the advice, I did see that xwin worked for someone else.

PaulBx1

#4 Post by PaulBx1 »

Did you save a backup copy of your pupsave before trying to change the size? (It's always a good policy to be paranoid!)

If so, then you can try this utility to change the size of your original pupsave:
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1170535852

carolus

#5 Post by carolus »

PaulBx1 wrote:Did you save a backup copy of your pupsave before trying to change the size? (It's always a good policy to be paranoid!)

If so, then you can try this utility to change the size of your original pupsave:
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1170535852
Dead link.

nipper

#6 Post by nipper »

Is there any chance that this advice from HarryWill in forum post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28591
could help you at this point?

"...you could just create a resize file manually
Code:
echo 1024 > /mnt/home/pupsaveresize.txt
Then reboot. This does a tiny resize of 1MB which will should give you enough space to start X. This assumes that you have 1MB worth of free space on the partition, I expect the results could be spectacularly painful if you haven't. After doing this you should use the resize option on the utility menu to do a bigger resize and reboot. You can investigate the amount of free space on your partitions using the command df. "