How to connect to HP iPAQ PDA running Windows Mobile?

Using applications, configuring, problems
iandel

How to connect to HP iPAQ PDA running Windows Mobile?

#1 Post by iandel »

G'day,

I have an HP iPAQ PDA (Windows Mobile 2003 SE Version 4.21.1088) which connects to my computer via a cradle to USB. I am running PuppyLinux 2.16 on the computer and have been running all the releases for a few years. I have never had any luck getting Puppy to see the PDA, let alone synchronize files and backup stuff.

Is there a simple way of doing this? I would prefer to use something which is nice and GUI rather than command lines etc. I also want to avoid using WIFI if possible. A nice programme that recognises the PDA and allows me to use a few clicks to do it all would be wonderfull. Is there something out there I can use?

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

This should get you going:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17440

*I have to fix the download links. I'll be working in there in a bit so check back in a few hours.

iandel

#3 Post by iandel »

G'day,

Thanks John Doe for your quick response.

I have downloaded everything from the link I could but still cannot connect to my PDA. I am not sure where to put the mobi_214.sfs file, or what to do with it when it gets there. I have no idea where my save session is. It will be wherever it is supposed to be because I don't move things like that. Also, I don't know if the post on Tuesday, July 17 on http://www.puppylinux.com/news/ regarding naming of sfs files has any importance to why I can't get it to work.

I also downloaded the bluez pets but don't get anything in the menu or anywhere else that I can see. My guess is that they are irrellevant to this case because this computer doesn't have Bluetooth.

So at this point I still need your help please.

daftdog

#4 Post by daftdog »

Where you put the sfs file depends on how you are running Puppy (CD, Frugal, HDD, etc). If you are using Frugal install or CD then you can put it on your HDD. If you have a hard drive install then put it in / (the same place you would put devx type files). You may have to change the name of the file to 'mobi_216.sfs'. The sfs file should load when you boot up.

I got this running with my PDA but it took a bit of fiddlin'. I have a Puppy 2.14 frugal install with the sfs file in the /mnt/home/ directory.

After the above type 'PocketPCwizard' in a console window. Then you should get a window you can use to connect to your PDA. I found that once the connection has been made then I have to type 'Fur /mnt/ppc' in another console window. This then allows me to access the files on my PDA with Rox.

You should now be able to move files etc to and from your PDA. I have had a bit of trouble transfering large files but otherwise it works ok.

When you have finished your session then type 'synce-serial-abort' in a console window as this ensures you have unmounted your PDA before disconnecting it. Otherwise I have found funny things can happen to your file system.

Some other commands are:
synce-serial-start
synce-serial-config usb/ttyUSB*
(with usb/ttyUSB* being the USB connection your device is plugged into. USB Viewer will tell you that; look for the interface number.)
synce-serial-abort
These commands can be used to connect to your PDA but I have found that it is easier to use PocketPCwizard.

You should also make sure the ipaq module and usb driver are loaded.

You don't have to worry about the bluetooth stuff.

Hope this helps.
"We are monkeys with money and guns." Tom Waits

iandel

#5 Post by iandel »

G'day,

Once again thanks, but still no joy. I have Puppy installed to my hard drive so I put the sfs file in / but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. I rebooted with no benefit.

I don't put devx type files anywhere. I assume that they are put where they are supposed to be by whoever put them wherever they are so I am afraid that that suggestion doesn't help me at all.

Typing "PocketPCwizard" in the console comes up with "command not found".

My greatly prefered method of installing something is to click on a file and either follow the instructions (such as "Okay" or "Cancel"), or let it do whatever it does on its own.

So as you can see, I am still at a loss. More help please.

John Doe

#6 Post by John Doe »

iandel wrote:I have Puppy installed to my hard drive so I put the sfs file in / but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. I rebooted with no benefit.

I don't put devx type files anywhere.
sounds like you have a full HardDrive install.

you can do this. there is no way to unistall it, if you do this. so perhaps a test system would be best or test partition of some type.

mkdir /mnt/mntpt
mount mobi_214.sfs /mnt/mntpt -t squashfs -o loop
cp -a --remove-destination /mnt/mntpt/* /
umount /mnt/mntpt

iandel

#7 Post by iandel »

G'day,

:D I have it working. It took a bit of messing around, moving some things and renaming some stuff but with all your help we got there. :D Thank you muchly.

The method I use to connect and be able to transfer files is to open a console and type 'PocketPCwizard' and start the connection, then open another console and type 'Fur /mnt/ppc'. To close it I have to type 'PocketPCwizard' in the second console and close the connection.

This seems quite cumbersome to me, possibly because I only had to plug the PDA into the computer on M$ and it connected and synchronised (after having installed the appropriate software etc).

Is there a simpler way? My ideal would be something along the lines clicking on mut and mounting the PDA, but I assume that there must be some technical problem why it is not done that way.

John Doe

#8 Post by John Doe »

thanks for the feedback! :-)
iandel wrote:This seems quite cumbersome to me, possibly because I only had to plug the PDA into the computer on M$ and it connected and synchronised (after having installed the appropriate software etc).
understood. i have much experience programming for pocketpc and understand the software you speak of very well. that first effort was "bare bones".
iandel wrote:Is there a simpler way?
yes. i will rework the wizard to give you different options to not only connect/disconnect but then mount if you want.
iandel wrote:My ideal would be something along the lines clicking on mut and mounting the PDA, but I assume that there must be some technical problem why it is not done that way.
i'm with you. that might take a bit of time. it's all in the back of my head but need to work it out.

p.s. another bummer is using clawsmail to import contacts. there is no "yes to all" button. i have to hold down alt+y for about 5 minutes.

Leachim

#9 Post by Leachim »

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox N560 (Windows Mobile 5). Will the above software work with this PDA, too - or is it specific to HP iPAQs?

I do not need "synchronizing", I would be happy to be able to transfer some files to and from the PDA.

John Doe

#10 Post by John Doe »

the version of synce in there is 0.9.1, when i compiled that Mobile 5 was not supported.

looks like they are up to 0.10 now and some devices with Mobile 5 are supported.

i had stuck with 0.9.1 because of FUR, but now I see this:

http://www.infis.univ.trieste.it/~riccardo/FUR.html

Code: Select all

28/05/2007
FUR is apparently working with Synce 0.10.0 without the need of patches of special compilations of sorts: this also means WM5 support.
I'll see about rebuilding some of that in the near future. I've got a few fixes for Palm devices that i'll work in there also.