Puppy 2.17 feedback

Using applications, configuring, problems
BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 2.17 feedback

#1 Post by BarryK »

2.17-final is out. This thread, or anywhere else for that matter, can be used for feedback...

Redvamp128

Mouse broke

#2 Post by Redvamp128 »

It seems as if the mouse is broke under 2.17 it worked in 2.16. I can get as far as XVESA but with no mouse I can't choose the video.

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

Thanks for a new Puppy!

Bugs:
1. Writing 'top' in terminal gives: top: failed to read 'loadavg'
2. Puppy loads wrong wifi driver. rt2570 is loaded instead of rt73.

Sigmund

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

zigbert wrote:Thanks for a new Puppy!

Bugs:
1. Writing 'top' in terminal gives: top: failed to read 'loadavg'
2. Puppy loads wrong wifi driver. rt2570 is loaded instead of rt73.

Sigmund
1. I just tried it, works for me.
2. Ha, ha... there has been an ongoing discussion about this in the exp1/alpha/beta releases. I did what was requested, rt2570 has preference over rt73 ...so, you want the opposite? See /etc/rc.d/rc.modules2 line 38/39 to see how it was done.
You can blacklist the rt2570, using BootManager.

capoverde

#5 Post by capoverde »

Puppy 2.17 looks wonderful, is even faster at boot; but having to print with CUPS is my nightmare. With other distros, years ago, I struggled with CUPS hours long and was quite happy with XPDQ, which installed a printer and went to print in a minute.

With Puppy 2.17 I was back to localhost:631 for half an hour, trying to install first one, then another different printer; but no luck, not a single dot from either one!! (Yes, they're OK).

I know well it's not Puppy's fault, and that printers are ugly beasts; but, as some say, if Win$ can do it, why shouldn't we?.. :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I haven't had much time to spend on testing. The only bug I found so far is that a USB keyboard can't enter boot codes. Luckily I had a USB-to-PS/2 adapter.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Congrats to Barry

#7 Post by Lobster »

Have updated the wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy217

please add any mirrors
bit torrents
etc :)

As always the new Puppy 2.17 "Dancer" contains more, is easier to use and . . .
gosh I wanted to give Rhino more feedback on his excellent new Puplet but have been playing with the new Puppy Dancer :)

We are on the notorious Distrowatch and our rating for 7 days will now go up . . .

One strange thing when I choose UK Keyboard, it offered me versions of the keyboard before continuing - I chose En_Gb (I think it was)? Just pressing "Return" also worked Most odd . . .

Congrats to Barry, everyone contributing and the many Puppy fans on this great review. Puppy takes on the big dogs AND guess what?
. . .. Read on . . .
http://www.techsupportalert.com/flash-drive-linux.htm
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 22 Jul 2007, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Redvamp128

Re: Mouse broke

#8 Post by Redvamp128 »

Redvamp128 wrote:It seems as if the mouse is broke under 2.17 it worked in 2.16. I can get as far as XVESA but with no mouse I can't choose the video.
THIS IS USING MICROSOFT VIRTUAL PC 2007.

i.i

#9 Post by i.i »

Best Puppy yet!

Keep up the good work everyone.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

capoverde wrote:Puppy 2.17 looks wonderful, is even faster at boot; but having to print with CUPS is my nightmare. With other distros, years ago, I struggled with CUPS hours long and was quite happy with XPDQ, which installed a printer and went to print in a minute.

With Puppy 2.17 I was back to localhost:631 for half an hour, trying to install first one, then another different printer; but no luck, not a single dot from either one!! (Yes, they're OK).

I know well it's not Puppy's fault, and that printers are ugly beasts; but, as some say, if Win$ can do it, why shouldn't we?.. :wink:
Well, CUPS in 2.17 has the same Gutenprint 5.0.0 drivers as did PDQ, so I would expect if your printer worked with PDQ then it should do with CUPS. I was given a PPD file for my printer (Brother HL2040) and it worked right off, and I'm mighty pleased -- just half an hour ago I downloaded a PDF invoice (for my satellite connection) and printed from ePDFView, worked like a charm.

Someone reported in another thread, printing from Abiword, one page ran onto the next. It has just occurred to me why that might be -- I think Abiword defaults to an A4 page, whereas CUPS defaults to a US letter page (which is shorter than A4) ...dunno, just a thought.

Anyway, it should be a matter of a few clicks in the CUPS web admin and you're in business. Perhaps you could go to linuxprinting.org and find a better PPD file to suit your printer, download it to /usr/share/cups/model.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Mouse broke

#11 Post by BarryK »

Redvamp128 wrote:
Redvamp128 wrote:It seems as if the mouse is broke under 2.17 it worked in 2.16. I can get as far as XVESA but with no mouse I can't choose the video.
THIS IS USING MICROSOFT VIRTUAL PC 2007.
I don't know anything about Virtual PC ...is that the same as VirtualBox?
What about Xorg? The Xorg Wizard has a mouse-chooser before you test X.

LGer

D-Link RTL8138 Not Working in 2.17

#12 Post by LGer »

My D-Link networking card is not working in the new version. It is listed in hardware interfaces information as vendor 1186, device 1300 but the driver is not being loaded. Worked in all of the previous versions just fine. Is there a way to add a driver to Puppy or am I just out of luck? Thanx...

Leon

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

I had trouble with NIC drivers in 2.17 for the first time ever on an installed version but not the liveCD. I wiped the HD and reinstalled and everything worked. There are a lot of strange quirks with this latest version. The missing Woof Woof box is a damn nuisance, too, as it cannot be closed down; obviously, the installed version doesn't suffer this intrusion.
So far I find the LZ version slower than Gzip, contrary to BK's advice??
Otherwise, the en_GB manual selection is also an unwelcome slowing influence.
Roll on 2.18!

cherriepuppy

#14 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

sage its not a missing woof woof box, its a welcome desktop. with a frugal install, once you create a save file (on shutdown or reboot) it reverts to a plain background.

cherriepuppy

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Oh! So that's what's wrong with it! Thanks.

jonyo

#16 Post by jonyo »

May have come up but haven't run across or forget :?
What are the diffs from 2.16?

MU

#17 Post by MU »

jonyo wrote:May have come up but haven't run across or forget :?

Puppy version 2.17 released
Friday, July 20, 2007, 12:25 AM
Announcement of new features and release notes are here:
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-2.17.htm

Mark

hushpuppy

#18 Post by hushpuppy »

When booting for the first time or using pfix=ram im presented with a dialog to choose the keyboard / language. In 2.16 i could just press the "U" key and be taken to "United Kingdom", this no longer works, instead i have to scroll down using the arrow keys. Might seem petty, and is probably there by design (i notice codes are there now, UK is 88 i think), but i might boot puppy this way 5 or more times each day, so has become a chore.

Is it a bug or feature ?.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

hushpuppy wrote:When booting for the first time or using pfix=ram im presented with a dialog to choose the keyboard / language. In 2.16 i could just press the "U" key and be taken to "United Kingdom", this no longer works, instead i have to scroll down using the arrow keys. Might seem petty, and is probably there by design (i notice codes are there now, UK is 88 i think), but i might boot puppy this way 5 or more times each day, so has become a chore.

Is it a bug or feature ?.
I never thought about that that ...especially as Australia is near the top of the list! Okay, I'll check it out, see if I can refine the dialog for 2.17.1.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

jonyo wrote:May have come up but haven't run across or forget :?
See here