mrxvt 0.5.2

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Gekko

mrxvt 0.5.2

#1 Post by Gekko »

http://materm.sourceforge.net/wiki/
Mrxvt (previously named materm) is a lightweight, powerful multi-tabbed terminal emulator for the X window system. mrxvt is based on rxvt version 2.7.11 CVS and aterm. It implements many useful features seen in some modern X terminal emulators (like gnome-terminal and konsole) but aims to be fast, lightweight and independent of standard toolkits or desktop environments (e.g. Gnome / KDE).
Features

1. Multi-tab support
2. Run time changeable per-tab titles / backgrounds / colors.
3. Session support for each tab
4. Input broadcasting to all tabs
5. Customizable keyboard shortcuts
6. Translucency and pseudo transparency support
7. JPEG / PNG / XPM background support
8. Off-focus background fading
9. Xft support.
10. Text shadow
11. Menubar / popup menus
12. XIM and multi-language (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) support.
13. Five different scroll bar styles
14. Small and fast.
15. Does not depend on GTK / Qt / Gnome / KDE.
16. Available on multiple platforms.
17. utmp/wtmp/lastlog logging
The binary is 8kb bigger than rxvt and the fonts are a little bigger, but it makes Puppy sexier :D. This config seen in the picture is included by default, made by me :D.
Download here: http://etc.bbqsrc.org/gekko-mrxvt.tar.bz2
Extract folder to /root, go into the gekko-mrxvt folder and click install.sh.

wegstar

#2 Post by wegstar »

Wow.. looks great in combination with EZpup and a decent wallpaper. :shock:
Image[/img]

ohyes

#3 Post by ohyes »

Looks cool thx Gekko .. adds a nice touch :)

D'yknow the looks of my puppy with EZpup +MostlyCrystal seamonkey and now mrxt thx to Gekko is I reckon unbeatable.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

:) Superb Gekko

I seem to remember this was tried in a beta of Puppy. It was dropped because unreliable. I think Guestoo packaged it. However that was a while ago. We have a new kernel plus many other enhancements and I suppose you have compiled a later version . . .. The thing to do is run and use and report. To have tabs is worth 8k in itself

Being a Ga-Ga GUI baby I try and stay away from the console aka rxvt aka the console because its use may also be terminal . . .

However the terminal is the Linux powerhouse and everyone bit by bit starts to make use of it.

Very Cool. Hot even.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

I love it, Gekko. I've added it to my workaday install of Puppy, too. Thank you.

I have a couple of questions. The specification posted mentions a "Menu bar / popup menus". How are those activated? I also note that the pseudo-transparency option is apparently the default - when you put an mrxvt window over an application like Seamonkey, you still get the Rox desktop background rather than the application in the mrxvt window. Is true transparency supported in Puppy with mrxvt?

These are minor issues for me. I'm just curious is all. Great job, mate.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

to see what a menu bar is like, type:

rxvt -menu /root/.rxvt.menu

Gekko

#7 Post by Gekko »

Well, if you want true transparency, you have to enable Composite extensions in Puppy, and activating it causes unexpected results. If you want true transparency, try wow's Beryl packages as they are made to support the Composite extensions.

And I didn't try menu bars as I have no use for them myself. By the way, the default settings in mrxvt that you downloaded were set by me, the actual default was very lack lustre. And the reason it's not a .pet is because I needed the script to do the linking and installing the fonts, you don't have to install them if you don't want to.

If the Bitstream fonts modify any font settings in Puppy that you do not like, just PM me and I'll sort you out with a nice little script that just sets the previous defaults. I set the monospace default back to what it was before because Bitstream Vera Sans Mono doesn't suit every situation, but the serif version that changes the taskbar actually looks better in my opinion, but once again that's just my opinion, and I like to make everyone's opinion count.

Linux is about options. and I keep them all open.

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

Gekko wrote:Well, if you want true transparency, you have to enable Composite extensions in Puppy, and activating it causes unexpected results.
Like I said, just a minor matter of curiosity is all. I agree that the Composite extensions can cause problems in Puppy. When I have MU's window shadows enabled through 3DCC, several applications abruptly halt on any mouse click, including PETget. I'm not THAT fond of eye candy that I need to go so far so I'll stick with what you've supplied. Thanks again.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Gekko

#9 Post by Gekko »

I find the use of pseudo-transparency very nice though :) And it isn't intensive on old pcs either, on a 486 the image just changes slower :P

I wonder if it's possible to disable the background all together as to have no transparency requirements, I wouldn't mind that, but that's just me.

keilor

#10 Post by keilor »

That looks great! I'll keep it!

And you know what else I like? The scroll bar is on the right! Never could figure out why rxvt's scroll bar was on the other side to everything else.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

if you want the scroll bar on the right, you can start rxvt with the -sr command line option, or put this in /root/.Xdefaults:

Rxvt*scrollBar_right: 1

or:

Rxvt*scrollBar_right: true

jweck

#12 Post by jweck »

Thanks for pointing this one out Gekko!

Q5sys

use with dtach

#13 Post by Q5sys »

Anyon manage to get dtach to work with this? Ive gotten this installed, but I cant seem to figure out how to install dtach with it. Ive got the files... just cant manage to use them.
Anyone able to help?