puppy on 40MB RAM 800MB HD`

Using applications, configuring, problems
ArthurDent

puppy on 40MB RAM 800MB HD`

#1 Post by ArthurDent »

I have recently started using puppy and I absolutly love it, in fact I have puppy installed on four different computers in my house.

What I am wondering: Is there a puppy distro that would fit comfortably on a toshiba satilite T4900 with 40MB RAM and an 800 MB hard drive?

My bigest problem is that this box has no CD or USB drive, and i don't know enough about networking to do a network install ( i actualy know absolutly nothing about networking ... :( )

I would prefer to have the following apps:
JWM
E3
Elinks
Ytree
DOSemu

and preferably some way to run apps remotely ( once again i don't know much about remote desktops so any push in the right direction would be greatly apriciated. )

if noone has any sugestions i won't be too upset, i picked this thing up for three dollors with all its cables and a docking station ... if nothing else i can load FreeDos on it and use it for some games.

Thank you,

--Andrew

WhoDo

Re: puppy on 40MB RAM 800MB HD`

#2 Post by WhoDo »

ArthurDent wrote:What I am wondering: Is there a puppy distro that would fit comfortably on a toshiba satilite T4900 with 40MB RAM and an 800 MB hard drive?

My bigest problem is that this box has no CD or USB drive, and i don't know enough about networking to do a network install
You have some serious issues to overcome here. If you can get someone to unpack them and host the individual files, and if your machine already has an OS with access to the Internet, you could download the files for a Puppy frugal install straight to the PC's hard drive and manually boot from there using Lin4Win or similar.

Your major problem is that 40Mb of RAM. The Puppy you boot would need to be small enough to use that and not need a swap file/partition, since you apparently have no way to create one. Maybe micromuppy is the answer for you.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ArthurDent

#3 Post by ArthurDent »

get someone to host the individual files ... that's an interesting solution, one i had not thought of. Thank you. I'll see what i can make of that.

When i first read about puppy for DOS i got excited, but i had almost compleatly forgottena bout it until now.

Something new to toy around with.

Thanks for the help, i'll let you know how it turns out.

norsiwel

Installing Puppy 2.13 on an IBM 760E Notebook, 32 megs ram

#4 Post by norsiwel »

Hello,
Back in the winter I installed puppy 2.13 on an IBM 760E notebook with 32 megs of ram and no cd-rom or usb.
Here is how I did it, you do need another computer with usb for this method.

1. I pulled the massive 810 mb harddrive out of the IBM and plugged in via usb to my other laptop already running puppy 2.13.

2. I then used gparted to create a 80 mb swap partition and a fat 32 partition using up the rest of the free space on the drive, and set the bootable flag on the fat32 partition.

3. I then used the puppy universal installer to install puppy to a usb device, that being the 810 meg harddrive out of the IBM.

4. I replaced the harddrive in the IBM, and it wouldn't boot, but I didn't really expect it too.

5. I then booted the IBM from a win98 boot disk and ran fdisk /mbr at the A:/ prompt, to reformat the master boot record.

6. On the next boot the computer booted just fine and puppy booted just as if it were a live cd.

7. Then on the logout prompt I created a pup_save.2fs file that filled the rest of the partiton, and its now running puppy from the hard drive without grub.

I used 80 mb of the 810 meg harddrive for the swap partition and used the rest for the fat32 partiton, since the install copied the pup213.sfs file and others to the hard drive the final pup_save.2fs file has about 650 mb of space in it available for installing programs and the freememapplet on the taskbar shows about 67 megs of free memory, at 120 MHZ its not a speed demon by any means, but it is stable and works, however it does take 15 to 30 seconds to open programs like seamonkey or abiword, hope this helps you out, the whole process took me about two hours and was well worth it to save a laptop headed for the recyclers.

Hope this helps.
the only thing that is constant is change

ArthurDent

#5 Post by ArthurDent »

1. I pulled the massive 810 mb harddrive out of the IBM and plugged in via usb to my other laptop already running puppy 2.13.
how did you connect the drive through the USB port ( where did you et the addaptor?/how much do they normaly cost?)

i suppose i could use the same principal, only switch the drive from the toshiba to my Thinkpad 380Z and then boot off live CD ... ( this will be my third laptop puppy has rescured)

More food for thought. :)

norsiwel

usb to ide 2.5 inch drive adapter

#6 Post by norsiwel »

Sorry I wasn't clear about that point I bought a usb to ide adapter, basically just a usb cable that plugs into the ide connector on a 2.5 inch laptop harddrive( the one I got also does 3.5 inch drives as well, its very handy) from one of the online supply stores, If I remember correctly it cost less than 20 dollars including shipping, it's very handy for recovering data from trashed windows installs, using Puppy I just access the drive and burn all the recovered data to a cd and then reinstall the OS. Heres a link to one similar to the one I bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 609177[url][/url]
the only thing that is constant is change

Subito Piano

puppy on 40MB RAM 800MB HD

#7 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! Circuit City is advertising a 2.5" HD enclosure for $5 after $30 in rebates. That would work as well as the USB cable connector, plus if you ever get another HD that size, you have an external hard drive.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productD ... keycode=85
If you don't a store near you, i think they might sell it online and ship it for a nominal fee.

ArthurDent

#8 Post by ArthurDent »

Amazing. I wish i would ahve asked for help alot sooner.

there is a circuit city curently being built right down the road... but if there OVERPRICED i might need to make an excersion.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Sadly i will be going out of town this weekend so it will be atleast a week before i can actauly get all this done.

hopefully my next post to the forum will be from that old laptop (belive it or not it has an ethernet port for my highspeed)