How to have wireless working after reboot (puppy 2.12)

Booting, installing, newbie
kkpity

#41 Post by kkpity »

I gave up from version 2.12

Now I'm very happy with 2.16. There were many improvements on this version.

Wireless issue does not happen on this version¸anymore.

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)
jonyo

#42 Post by jonyo »

This worked for me in 2.15 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20001

There's a way to check which pup version you're using but..sorry, cant find the info.
kkpity wrote:I have no dirs like /etc/eth1mode and /etc/eth1wireless

The wizard tool created dir /etc/ethernetmodules.

I think I'm using an old version.

Anyway¸ I tried to use net-setup-2.15-1.pet (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=99397) but I think my system does not support this extension. I'm using puppy 2.13

I prefer not to upgrade puppy. So... Is there a pretty new version (.pup) that I can use?

Is there a way to check what version I'm really using?

Thanks
jonyo

#43 Post by jonyo »

There are (to..) many fixes but i don't understand them so higher ups'll have to chime in.

My experience was that the GUI need(s?)ed some work. Rarely got a boot to wifi after setting up with gui (2.12 to .16) but figured it out in 2.15
QGolden wrote:Hello all,
This thread seems to have dropped off. I think there are still some of us with the original problem. I have done three installs in a month, at two different location (i.e.two different WIFI modems). I have yet to have the configuration load on boot, yes I click save both times. During boot the system scans for DHCP for 60 seconds. I always need to re-run the wizard after Puppy starts.

Anyone with any additional thoughts on this issue?
QGolden

#44 Post by QGolden »

I downloaded the latest version recently just to be sure I had all the fixes, 2.17 or 2.17.1. One thing that may be an issue in my case is that I am using a newer laptop with the switch to turn on or off the wi-fi. I am pretty confident it defaults to "on" when booted, but I am not positive.

When run in Vista, the switch defaults to "on" and is lit. When I boot to XP the switch defautls to "on" but is not lit. In Puppy, it appears to default "on" but is not lit as well. If I flip the switch and "turn on the light" the wifi disconnects. Just the opposite of the way it operates in Vista. Might be a clue for someone sharper than I. :?
JoeDuck

Lucky solution

#45 Post by JoeDuck »

Hi all, my first post in the forum, I hope I can contribute something.
I have found one solution for the "Wifi does not work after reboot" problem. :o
My analysis was as follows:
Puppy 2.17.1 version HD install.
Network wizard finds the native driver "zd1211rw" fine and the wireless profile works great, finds the network, save the profile with WEP encryption (attention, WEP key only in Hex format, not in ASCII).
Next clicked autoDHCP and it did not work, so I booted RutilT and created a profile wich worked fine.
Without closing RutilT Ireran AutoDHCP and this time it worked, prompting me to save the result. Accepted.
When I rebboted, there it was, Wifi did not find the network while doing DHCPCS. :cry:
After tinkering a little, I realized that my wifi usb was able to find the DHCP if I did the whole thing (iwconfig eth1 up and then dhcpcs, does not matter if I do it in the terminal or in using the wizard) TWICE.
So I just did automate the thing, I copied the contents of eth1mode and eth1wireless into rc.local but I did not touch those files, so I would have two dhcpcs one after the other during boot.
Reboot, network hardware detection, DHCP detection, normal boot and incredibly, it works! :shock:
My system now boots great into the net, nothing to do, just boot and surf.
I do not know if this story helps you guys, but I will post my rc.local, eth1mode and eth1wireless later from home if you want.
Hope this helps.
QGolden

Re: Lucky solution

#46 Post by QGolden »

JoeDuck wrote: After tinkering a little, I realized that my wifi usb was able to find the DHCP if I did the whole thing (iwconfig eth1 up and then dhcpcs, does not matter if I do it in the terminal or in using the wizard) TWICE.
So I just did automate the thing, I copied the contents of eth1mode and eth1wireless into rc.local but I did not touch those files, so I would have two dhcpcs one after the other during boot..
Does that mean that you are booting with a USB WIFI adapter? I have a few of those, but I would prefer to use the internal WIFI antenna if possible, I am on the road a lot and crawl for Hot Spots.

Your second line is lost to me, not because you are not perfectly clear, it is because I am brand new to Linux, I turned to it when my new notebook came with VISTA, I partitioned the HD and installed my old XP so I could keep working, and decided to learn Linux as an alternative. So far I have figured out how to do about 80% of what I used XP for.

All that being said, I do not know all the potential pitfalls of modifying rs.local. Where in rs.local do you copy them? beginning? end? Does it matter?

Thank you very much for chiming in here and trying to help. :!:

Another thought I had was to write a script and put it on the desk top. Is that possible? (of course I have no idea how to do so yet! :roll: At least when I boot it would only have to do one more step, opposed to re-running the wizard every time...
JoeDuck

#47 Post by JoeDuck »

Yes, I use a USB WIFI adapter in a PIII laptop that, evidently does not have built-in wifi. The chipset in the adapter is a Ralink zd1211b and since kernel 2.6.14 I think, the drivers are included into the system. Puppy has GREAT hardware detection and does find the driver and installs it upon bootup all by itself. If your builtin wifi has ever worked, the driver is included, detected and loaded upon boot, so you do not need to use a usb key.
I will try to clarify the 2nd line:
You can do the same stuff as the wizard does by hand using the command line. The process is like this:
1- Decide what driver you'll use and load it, it happens in the first screen of the wizard. If you do it by hand, the command is called "modprobe <drivername>"
2- Provide connection info to the driver, for example the WEP key. This is the "profile" section of the wizard. The command is called "iwconfig" and needs lots of flags to modify it. If you just type "iwconfig", you'll get useful info about your adapter.
3- Search for a valid IP address in a given network. The button in the wizard is AutoDHCP and the command is called "dhcpcs"
The wizard does all this under a nice GUI and automates the process by storing the commands into two text files that are executed upon boot.
The files are called /etc/eth1mode and /etc/eth1wireless if your card is working in eth1, but will be called wlan0mode and wlan0wireless if your driver uses wlan0, etc.
So upon boot the configuring and network detection process does indeed take place, the scripts are well read, but the "dhcpcs" command does not find the network. This is the problem, not the wizard. The wizard works perfectly. It's just that the detection of the DHCP system fails the first time.
My proposition is to do everything again automatically. It works for me, but I cannot explain why. So i use the rc.local file which is exactly that, a piece of text file that's executed upon boot. My advice would be to backup the file first, then open with a text editor.
The file works in order, so first you tell the system to iwconfig with the same line stored in eth1wireless and after you tell it to dhcpcs as written in eth1mode. Copy and paste.
Save and reboot.
I will send you my example this afternoon.

PS: about the script, it's not only possible, but the basic way to use linux. Script everything, everything (nearly) is scriptable. This is the biggest strength against "that other OS". Read the forum HOWTOs abour bash scripting, great stuff.
Last edited by JoeDuck on Thu 30 Aug 2007, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
QGolden

#49 Post by QGolden »

Good stuff, thanks.

You are exactly on topic. The script works perfect. DHCP fails to connect on boot. I will go through the links you provided and 'git me ed'cated" :D .

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I learn.
JoeDuck

#51 Post by JoeDuck »

Hi all, here's my

eth1wireless:

Code: Select all

#Configure the wireless interface
echo "Configuring wireless interface eth1"
ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 essid "WLAN_E5" mode managed ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
eth1mode:

echo "Trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)..."
echo "Trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)..." > /dev/console
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1.pid 2>/dev/null #if left over from last session, causes trouble.
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1.cache 2>/dev/null #ditto
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1.info 2>/dev/null #ditto
dhcpcd eth1
finally rc.local is:

#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 essid "WLAN_E5" mode managed ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dhcpcd eth1
/usr/sbin/sshd
and now wifi works great.
Goog luck.